Glenelg/West merger?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg/West merger?

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:23 am

Funny thing is, IF there has been any talks IF I say, the people involved might have just told KG direct to his face and figured "Meh, like he'll have any clue what the **** I was talking about". :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 am

Wedgie wrote:KG stood by his story on the radio this morning, said the informal talks were initiated by South.

I'm confused the rumour is about West and Glenelg but South initiated the discussion???
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:41 am

heater31 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:KG stood by his story on the radio this morning, said the informal talks were initiated by South.

I'm confused the rumour is about West and Glenelg but South initiated the discussion???

Its about West, Glenelg and South.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:57 am

It does make me wonder why South, with such a large catchment area, a strong league and a massive growth in homes why they struggle. Sounds like the almost perfect situation for them.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 am

Brodlach wrote:It does make me wonder why South, with such a large catchment area, a strong league and a massive growth in homes why they struggle. Sounds like the almost perfect situation for them.

No love for the SANFL down there. People were amazed when I played in the SFL that I still followed North closely.
Its all about the SFL and AFL down there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 am

Just on this rumour, it cant possibly be true. The only incentive to merge would be a huge financial incentive but where would this come from?
The SANFL doesnt benefit from going from 10 clubs to 8 so they wouldnt be offereing cash like was thrown at Torrens and the clubs would lose shares of the footy park sale and crows income.
Some clubs are looking at merging some off field operations to see if their is a benefit in doing so, maybe this is what KG was told and he got a little befuddled.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 am

KG befuddled....never
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 am

Wedgie wrote:
Brodlach wrote:It does make me wonder why South, with such a large catchment area, a strong league and a massive growth in homes why they struggle. Sounds like the almost perfect situation for them.

No love for the SANFL down there. People were amazed when I played in the SFL that I still followed North closely.

Fair enough, not winning a premiership in about 6 decades wouldnt help either
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:20 am

Brodlach wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Fair enough, not winning a premiership in about 6 decades wouldnt help either

Excuses excuses. They've been handed a golden chalice and managed to turn it into a wooden spoon. The population growth South of Brighton needed to be capitalized upon and simply hasn't been. Premierships aside, they've still massively underachieved in capturing the hearts of the ever expanding local community.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 am

I dont disagree at all Booney
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:33 am

I've lived in South, West, Glenelg and North territory. The only clubs I ever encountered that have done anything to promote themselves are South and North with South the clear winners. Didn't even realise I was in West's area for the last 18 months till I just looked up the maps, thought it was Eagles area!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 am

South have been very good since Bamford has been down there, regularly attends SFL games and meets with the SFL clubs (even ones not in their zone) this is now showing in the u18's performances. Pity he is leaving but hopefully the momentum he has created will continue, albeit this sort of stuff should have happened decades ago. I suspect South thought it would just happen when they moved to Noarlunga.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3504 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:56 am

Dutchy wrote:

South have been very good since Bamford has been down there, regularly attends SFL games and meets with the SFL clubs (even ones not in their zone) this is now showing in the u18's performances. Pity he is leaving but hopefully the momentum he has created will continue, albeit this sort of stuff should have happened decades ago. I suspect South thought it would just happen when they moved to Noarlunga.

For most of their years at Noarlunga South have been cashed up, so perhaps thought they could circumnavigate any shortfall in local development by spending their way out of it?

Regardless of whether there's any truth to this stuff, hope these clubs (and all clubs) can find a way through it and setup a model that eventually leads to financial stability and/or prosperity in the years to come, but it's tougher than ever to do so these days it would seem.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby oldfella » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:44 am

Dutchy wrote:
oldfella wrote:Westies president and two board members have made public statements advising that there has been no merger discussion at westies.

Where can these be viewed? Nothing on Website or Facebook.

Two board members on facebook

President on bloodntars

Edited to add

One board member in this very thread

Also westies CEO has now made statement in advertiser article
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 am

oldfella wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
oldfella wrote:Westies president and two board members have made public statements advising that there has been no merger discussion at westies.

Where can these be viewed? Nothing on Website or Facebook.

Two board members on facebook

President on bloodntars

Went up on the clubs FB at 10.30am today...anyway as we know its all bullshit anyway, no doubt administrators at all 3 clubs would be pretty pissed off with KG ruining their long weekends!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby saintal » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... dd2ff29171

SOUTH Adelaide is denying it is the prime mover to form a “super club” in the SANFL with a merger of three teams.

Panthers chief executive Neil Sharpe has dismissed claims on radio by esteemed SA football identity Ken “KG” Cunningham that South Adelaide, West Adelaide and Glenelg are in talks for consider a three-club merger.

“I think I would have been at any of those meetings - formal or informal,” Sharpe told advertiser.com.au this morning.

“It definitely is not coming from us.

“Certainly times are tough, but a merger has not been mentioned by us - not at all.”

South Adelaide’s response follows Glenelg and West Adelaide telling The Advertiser on Monday there was no substance to reports of the SANFL becoming an eight-team State league with an amalgamation of the three clubs.

The SA Football Commission - which has representatives attending SANFL club board meetings - also has dismissed a repeat of the Woodville-West Torrens merger in 1990.

Glenelg president Nick Chigwidden told The Advertiser: “It’s not happening - certainly not with Glenelg. We are in no (merger) discussions.”

West Adelaide chief executive David Grenvold added: “We can categorically deny that we are looking to merge.

“Amalgamations are not part of our plans.”
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:10 pm

I did hear that some clubs were talking about sharing of admin resources to save $ ...maybe this is where things have started with this one?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:16 pm

saintal wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/south-adelaide-dismisses-speculation-of-panthers-instigating-merger-talks-with-sanfl-rivals/news-story/d7262e87774d4217b6b0cbdd2ff29171

SOUTH Adelaide is denying it is the prime mover to form a “super club” in the SANFL with a merger of three teams.

Panthers chief executive Neil Sharpe has dismissed claims on radio by esteemed SA football identity Ken “KG” Cunningham that South Adelaide, West Adelaide and Glenelg are in talks for consider a three-club merger.

“I think I would have been at any of those meetings - formal or informal,” Sharpe told advertiser.com.au this morning.

“It definitely is not coming from us.

“Certainly times are tough, but a merger has not been mentioned by us - not at all.”

South Adelaide’s response follows Glenelg and West Adelaide telling The Advertiser on Monday there was no substance to reports of the SANFL becoming an eight-team State league with an amalgamation of the three clubs.

The SA Football Commission - which has representatives attending SANFL club board meetings - also has dismissed a repeat of the Woodville-West Torrens merger in 1990.

Glenelg president Nick Chigwidden told The Advertiser: “It’s not happening - certainly not with Glenelg. We are in no (merger) discussions.”

West Adelaide chief executive David Grenvold added: “We can categorically deny that we are looking to merge.

“Amalgamations are not part of our plans.”

Right now this makes sense......KG has either had a 'seniors' moment or just plain left out parts of the rumour and we have arrived at this mess!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:I did hear that some clubs were talking about sharing of admin resources to save $ ...maybe this is where things have started with this one?

My thoughts exactly
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby oldfella » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:32 pm

I think the sanfl clubs moving to a common sanfl provide club websites shows early signs of resource sharing
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL