AFL centric TV

All discussions to do with the SANFL

AFL centric TV

Postby Reddeer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Session on TV promoting new book on Phil Carman. "Only played for 4 Victorian clubs"
Makes you sick that no mention of playing for Norwood and coaching Sturt.
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: AFL centric TV

Postby darley16 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Thought the same thing, bit of footage with Phil playing with Norwood and no more mention, Phil himself always speaks in glowing terms of his SANFL days which the Victorians choose to ignore. Phil Carman was the best footballer i ever saw play.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:58 am

I think in a tv interview he called coaching Sturt one of and if not the biggest part of his football life.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 am

Jimmy wrote:I think in a tv interview he called coaching Sturt one of and if not the biggest part of his football life.

He did, it was with Mike Sheehan. Mike very quickly wanted to brush over it but Phil wanted to get his point across.
PC was interviewed on SEN last week, not too bad.
https://audioboom.com/posts/6018384-phi ... you-beauty
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:21 am

Reddeer wrote:Session on TV promoting new book on Phil Carman. "Only played for 4 Victorian clubs"
Makes you sick that no mention of playing for Norwood and coaching Sturt.

This kind of thing's a sign of the times, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise. The Victorian footy environment doesn't give shit about our comp, and they never really have.

Be thankful that at least a South Australian made player like Carman gets a profile in the Vic media as one of that era's most talented footballers. The bigger injustice is that two of the greatest players never to grace the VFL/AFL but who would've absolutely dominated it in Barrie Robran and Garry McIntosh (the former often feted as the greatest to pull on a boot) are by and large ignored, simply because they loved their club and didn't want to travel east.

By the same token, Carman's profile is as much for his indiscretions as for his on-field ability.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am

Magellan wrote: The Victorian footy environment doesn't give shit about our comp, and they never really have.

to the same extent though, i dont know anything about the WAFL really, though a lot of you may know more. So i dont think its just a victorian problem.

(having said that, the circle jerk over dangerfield when he crossed from the crows to geelong was astounding, it was like they didnt know he existed before that)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:14 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:
Jimmy wrote:I think in a tv interview he called coaching Sturt one of and if not the biggest part of his football life.

He did, it was with Mike Sheehan. Mike very quickly wanted to brush over it but Phil wanted to get his point across.

I've always been a fan of Sheehan, but it has waned somewhat because he appears to be the biggest dinosaur in regard to the sport outside of Victoria. I could care less usually about the whole Vic v SA thing, but I do get annoyed when the likes of Sheehan and Andy Maher display disrespect to SA/WA through their narrow minded pro-Vic views and commentary.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm

JK wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:

I've always been a fan of Sheehan, but it has waned somewhat because he appears to be the biggest dinosaur in regard to the sport outside of Victoria. I could care less usually about the whole Vic v SA thing, but I do get annoyed when the likes of Sheehan and Andy Maher display disrespect to SA/WA through their narrow minded pro-Vic views and commentary.

I watched Phil Carmen's Open Mike very recently and the only thing SANFL related they really talked about was his time coaching Sturt. Most of the interview was Mike questioning him about many of his wrong doings while playing in the VFL. Would of been great to hear him talking in depth about his SANFL career, but Mike would have none of that.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Magellan wrote: The Victorian footy environment doesn't give shit about our comp, and they never really have.

to the same extent though, i dont know anything about the WAFL really, though a lot of you may know more. So i dont think its just a victorian problem.

(having said that, the circle jerk over dangerfield when he crossed from the crows to geelong was astounding, it was like they didnt know he existed before that)

No it is a SA/WA and Tas problem. The Vics control the nationwide media regarding football, they do not have a problem, they can yap on about whatever pleases them, and it is usually not far from their navels!
I think if SA was the national football media center, and we failed to acknowledge the game beyond our own borders to the extent that the Vics have, then we may be branded with the same arrogant label we apply to them. Personally I love hearing about the history and culture of the game, wherever it is played, and would welcome football programming that included such content.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby zipzap » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 am

The SA media mentions nothing beyond Port and the Crows so why should we expect anything else from over the border?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Board index   Football  SANFL