The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby o five » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am

Geez the Crows are doing well in the AFL now. They are certainly seeing the benefits of having a reserves team in the SANFL. :lol:
GO HAWKS :lol:
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:30 am

MW wrote:I didn't realise money affected a players ability.
Damn it...I wish someone paid me to play and I would of been a decent player!

You come across like a clever bloke MW so I'll assume you are deliberately missing the point, but in case I'm wrong and you really aren't that smart, I'll spell it out for you.

Paying players more money doesn't make them better players.
Better players command a higher salary, just like in any other line of work.
Having a higher salary cap enables a club to attract the better players because it can pay more.
Two teams in a league where their salary cap is significantly higher than the other teams competing in the same league, have a significant advantage over those other teams.

So would you agree a team with a salary cap 100 times greater, (or whatever the exact ratio is), than another team in the same league has an advantage. Or more to the point, do you think it is fair?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby cracka » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:10 am

johntheclaret wrote:

You come across like a clever bloke MW so I'll assume you are deliberately missing the point, but in case I'm wrong and you really aren't that smart, I'll spell it out for you.

Having a higher salary cap enables a club to attract the better players because it can pay more.
Two teams in a league where their salary cap is significantly higher than the other teams competing in the same league, have a significant advantage over those other teams.

So would you agree a team with a salary cap 100 times greater, (or whatever the exact ratio is), than another team in the same league has an advantage. Or more to the point, do you think it is fair?

If it was all the best players on Adelaides & Ports lists then yeah its totally unfair but thats not the case. Its mainly the 2nd tier & rookie listed players that play in the SANFL.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 am

What cracka said.
If money decided who wins a football game, why aren't Crows and Port undefeated over the last few years?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:42 am

Cool, I guess Adelaide supporters will be happy with other AFL clubs having a higher salary cap than them in the AFL.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am

lol
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Cool, I guess Adelaide supporters will be happy with other AFL clubs having a higher salary cap than them in the AFL.

Yep I would be, as long as the other clubs with higher salary caps play only the reserves, kids, and top up players
MW
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 pm

cracka wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

If it was all the best players on Adelaides & Ports lists then yeah its totally unfair but thats not the case. Its mainly the 2nd tier & rookie listed players that play in the SANFL.

I don't have access to the actual figures myself Cracka, but I would hazard a guess that those second tier and rookie players are also on a truckload more cash than the rest of the competition.
Are you then claiming that it would only be unfair if the wealthiest players in Australia competed in the SANFL, but seeing as the reserves, while far exceeding the salary of the top paid part time footballer in the SANFL, are not the wealthiest, then it is okay?
I am sure the SANFL regulars, while they are toiling away at their boiler-making, tile-laying, teaching, marine research, or whatever it is they must do to pay their mortgage, put food on the table and send their kids to school, are thanking their lucky stars that it is only the 2nd tier full time footballers who are being trained in the state of the art facilities, tended to by the nation's best sports doctors and taught the game by Australia's highest paid coaches, that they must play against on weekends.
Yeah, sounds COMPLETELY fair to me. Glad that the Crows fans realise that it would be totally unfair for the TOP paid players on their list to be playing in the SANFL.
:lol:
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 pm

MW wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Cool, I guess Adelaide supporters will be happy with other AFL clubs having a higher salary cap than them in the AFL.

Yep I would be, as long as the other clubs with higher salary caps play only the reserves, kids, and top up players

And meanwhile their REAL side plays in a bigger league elsewhere, and their fans laugh at your club because it only competes in a reserves competition, and who gives a shit about a reserves competition, why the hell don't you move on you reserves follower two decades behind all of us big league cock suckers playing in front of the big flashy lights, doing exactly what the corporations tell us.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:35 pm

MW wrote:What cracka said.
If money decided who wins a football game, why aren't Crows and Port undefeated over the last few years?

Because the competition is now contrived.
There is also the "give a shit" factor. Something that we were all assured would not happen when the Crows were begging to be let in, now their coach buggers off whenever he feels like it to go watch the real Crows play. No matter what the state of the game of the actual team he is being paid to coach.

Come on MW, we have covered all of this ground a hundred times over, do you still need to be told by the likes of me, again?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:37 pm

therisingblues wrote:
MW wrote:

And meanwhile their REAL side plays in a bigger league elsewhere, and their fans laugh at your club because it only competes in a reserves competition, and who gives a shit about a reserves competition, why the hell don't you move on you reserves follower two decades behind all of us big league cock suckers playing in front of the big flashy lights, doing exactly what the corporations tell us.

Pardon?
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:39 pm

therisingblues wrote:

There is also the "give a shit" factor. Something that we were all assured would not happen when the Crows were begging to be let in, now their coach buggers off whenever he feels like it to go watch the real Crows play. No matter what the state of the game of the actual team he is being paid to coach.

Come on MW, we have covered all of this ground a hundred times over, do you still need to be told by the likes of me, again?

You do realise there are two AFL sides in the SANFL?
So you're upset that they are not winning?
MW
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:40 pm

MW wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
MW wrote:

Pardon?

This is what we tend to hear from Crows/Power fans about our love for the SANFL.
Yes, "pardon"! Exactly. It is baffling when you hear/read it for the first time.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm

The pardon was in reference to a rant I didn't understand, but go on
MW
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 pm

MW wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

You do realise there are two AFL sides in the SANFL?
So you're upset that they are not winning?

You barrack for the Crows, so just keeping it relevant. I give it to the Power fans when they ask for it also.
What upsets me is the competition lacks integrity. You have heard this from me before.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:43 pm

MW wrote:The pardon was in reference to a rant I didn't understand, but go on

Hope that clears things up then.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Take the AFL sides out, get your integrity back, but IMO, the SANFL will become even more irrelevant to both supporters (not the die hards like on here obviously) and media alike.
People are supporting AFL first, and after that, probably an Amateur league team because of free entry (mostly), cheaper food and drink, easier access etc.
MW
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:53 pm

We will not know for sure until it happens.
But a contrivance will never trump a true competition, and the SANFL fans tend to be those that want an honest game. It is the followers of the AFL that are more accepting of the continual rule changes and the fact that the comp is owned by corporations. I think the latter contributes to the lack of understanding AFL followers exhibit regarding their reserves in our competition.
The sooner the reserves are out the better, they damage the overall comp every game they play. My worry now is they have been in too long, we might not recover. We may have left it too long and, like testicular cancer, might lose a ball when they eventually leave.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:02 pm

therisingblues wrote:We will not know for sure until it happens.

You believe that, don't you?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:03 pm

In a perfect world, do you want it back to how it used to be with AFL players spread out across all teams? or AFL players out of the league all together?
MW
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL