MRP

Talk on the national game

Re: MRP

Postby Trader » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:07 am

Jim05 wrote:
MW wrote:firstly, he was not let off. he got 2 weeks.
secondly, character references are used everyday at courts and tribunals. why are sports people not allowed to use them? agreed using the PM was a stretch though.

He got let off lightly.
The tribunal ruled that it was intentional which carries a 3 week minimum ban but his sentence is the same as if it was graded by the MRP as careless, high impact, high contact.

While I agree 2 weeks is very very light, as his case was sent straight to the tribunal he wasn't able to plead guilty first.
As such, I believe (but could be mistaken), that at the tribunal he can plead guilty, but challenge the gradings (intentional vs reckless, etc), and still be eligible for the 25% discount for pleading guilty.
As such, he may have still got 3, reduced to 2 with a guilty plea.

Should have gotten 5 down to 4 for mine.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:08 am

Sounding like the AFL will appeal
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:08 am

Zartan wrote:I must be the only person in the country that thought 2x matches was right.

To me i didn't think Houli looked at him and deliberately smacked him in the face - looked like he swung his arm around to obviously hit the player across the arm, it slid off the shoulder into the jaw.

Also they said it was an elbow but it looks more like fist/forearm to me.

Maybe if the Carlton player wasn't trying to rape him off the ball he wouldn't have swung back like that.. but if he collects him a couple inches lower then the player has a dead arm and nothing more is said.

What if Houli didn't act like a co*ckhead and swing his arm back?
Then he wouldn't have hit him high and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Big IF mate ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby Trader » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:10 am

Zartan wrote:To me i didn't think Houli looked at him and deliberately smacked him in the face - looked like he swung his arm around to obviously hit the player across the arm, it slid off the shoulder into the jaw.

While I agree with this, I'm not sure it matters.
If I try to punch you in the nose, but get you on the chin or eye-socket, my punch should still be graded intentional.

He tried to hit his opponent, made contact, and should be punished accordingly.

As a couple of others have mentioned in here, the tribunal has been very clear over the last 3 years that they punish the outcome, not the intent.
I don't understand why they moved away from that in this case.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 am

Zartan wrote:I must be the only person in the country that thought 2x matches was right.

To me i didn't think Houli looked at him and deliberately smacked him in the face - looked like he swung his arm around to obviously hit the player across the arm, it slid off the shoulder into the jaw.

Maybe if the Carlton player wasn't trying to rape him off the ball he wouldn't have swung back like that.. but if he collects him a couple inches lower then the player has a dead arm and nothing more is said.

He did hit him though, and knocked him clean out.

When he gets the exact same penalty Schofield that was offered for brushing someones chin at worst...somethings not right.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:13 am

Trader wrote:He tried to hit his opponent, made contact, and should be punished accordingly..

But players hit players every week - forwards and midfielders are forever swinging backhands and backelbows at defenders and taggers? same same sort of?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am

HH3 wrote:When he gets the exact same penalty Schofield that was offered for brushing someones chin at worst...somethings not right.

Agree with that - but don't you think also that's a reflection on how poor the Schofield decision was as well? ;)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 am

Not just you mate, and I'm sure if Houli was a white Christian a lot more people would agree with us.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 am

Zartan wrote:
HH3 wrote:When he gets the exact same penalty Schofield that was offered for brushing someones chin at worst...somethings not right.

Agree with that - but don't you think also that's a reflection on how poor the Schofield decision was as well? ;)

Yeah I do. Schofield eventually got the right outcome.

Now for them to sort this out.

Toby Green got two games for punching at the footy and missing. Add a game for doing it off the ball, then add at least one game for knocking him out, and you have a pretty decent outcome.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:21 am

Wedgie wrote:

Not just you mate, and I'm sure if Houli was a white Christian a lot more people would agree with us.

Here we go. Pulling the f**kin race card every time.

Everyone who isn't white can't do something wrong now?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 am

HH3 wrote:

He did hit him though, and knocked him clean out.

When he gets the exact same penalty Schofield that was offered for brushing someones chin at worst...somethings not right.

I think Schofield should've copped a game, it was ugly and not what we want kids to see.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:26 am

HH3 wrote:Toby Green got two games for punching at the footy and missing. Add a game for doing it off the ball, then add at least one game for knocking him out, and you have a pretty decent outcome.

I think that's bullshit - you're saying if a player is "tough enough" to take it and not get KO'd then the perpetrator gets a week less, but if they get KO'd then they get a week extra?

Oliver fell to the ground, Schofield deserves an extra week for making him fall over.. :P
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am

MW wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Is it true Waleed is a Richmond member?

Fair conflict of interest if he is.

Yep he is

I always thought you should have an upstanding member of the community as your character witness
He deserves another 4 games for pulling this prix in

Just on the media: Since when is providing a character witness statement "intervening" or did I miss something?

And the Schofield one was a joke. I hope Oliver cops it big time for a while

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 am

HH3 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Not just you mate, and I'm sure if Houli was a white Christian a lot more people would agree with us.

That's not what he's saying, all he's saying is that if Houli was an honest white christian, (and didn't get that slime Waleed Aly in as a character reference) then you'd probably find more people would likely agree that 2 games was ample.

How many games would Dusty Martin have got, and how many would the Australian public be screaming for? Remembering he's a fan favorite, puts bums on seats and a fav for the Brownlow..

It's not about racism to me, but people do have natural bias towards others - you'll gravitate towards and sympathise more with like minded/same type people.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 am

Zartan wrote:
HH3 wrote:Toby Green got two games for punching at the footy and missing. Add a game for doing it off the ball, then add at least one game for knocking him out, and you have a pretty decent outcome.

I think that's bullshit - you're saying if a player is "tough enough" to take it and not get KO'd then the perpetrator gets a week less, but if they get KO'd then they get a week extra?

Oliver fell to the ground, Schofield deserves an extra week for making him fall over.. :P

I'm not saying anything.

The AFL has said the result of your actions will effect your suspension. If you choose to tackle/strike someone and it results in a significant injury, you're penalty will by higher.

Is this all forgotten now? When did they change the rules?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am

HH3 wrote:Is this all forgotten now? When did they change the rules?

When they began giving special preferential treatment to the "Stars" of the game :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:31 am

Zartan wrote:

This is not a measure of toughness.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Zartan wrote:

This is not a measure of toughness.

i didn't know how to word it :lol: you get what i mean though lol
The Bedge
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:35 am

Zartan wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Not just you mate, and I'm sure if Houli was a white Christian a lot more people would agree with us.

That's not what he's saying, all he's saying is that if Houli was an honest white christian, (and didn't get that slime Waleed Aly in as a character reference) then you'd probably find more people would likely agree that 2 games was ample.

How many games would Dusty Martin have got, and how many would the Australian public be screaming for? Remembering he's a fan favorite, puts bums on seats and a fav for the Brownlow..

It's not about racism to me, but people do have natural bias towards others - you'll gravitate towards and sympathise more with like minded/same type people.

My problem is the inconsistency of the MRP. I couldn't give a f**k who it is.

Whats being a white Christian got to do with it then? Is Dusty a white Christian? No, he's Moari for a start. And people do like him. But I'm sure if he got two weeks for knocking someone out, most people who aren't Richmond supporters would wonder what's going on.

Like I said, Toby Green got two. No one disputed that. But he didn't knock anyone out, AND he was going for the ball. He's white and no one came out defending him did they?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:37 am

Toby Green is a grub though :lol:

It's all who you are lets be serious - Buddy lifts his elbow and hits a guy in the head every other week, and when was the last time he was suspended?

AFL want the best players playing the game each week. Simple. MRP will never be consistent.
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL