State Library Football Exhibition

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: State Library Football Exhibition

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 am

If anyone's in the city on Wednesday morning, they're welcome to join me for a look at the exhibition.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 am

Dogwatcher wrote:If anyone's in the city on Wednesday morning, they're welcome to join me for a look at the exhibition.

Approximate time?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:59 am

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:If anyone's in the city on Wednesday morning, they're welcome to join me for a look at the exhibition.

Approximate time?

Was thinking about 10.30.
I have a meeting at 12.30.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Went in today and had a look for an hour or 2
Watching a match from back in the 1960s i think it was? There was a time clock at the ground that counted the time down to the end of the match so everyone at the ground knew exactly how much time was left. I
I never knew that occured back then? My memories go back to the 70s and just remember the time clocks showing how much time had actually gone in the quarters but no one knew exactly how much was left because of the" Time On " played.
So my question is , back in the 60s and maybe early 70s were quarters just played to a set time with NO time on or the time clock as i described actually stopped when time off was indicated by the umpire?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby clanger » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Yes originally the time clocks showed the actual time remaining in the quarters. However there were a few times when the clock was wrong and crowds ran on to the ground when they thought the game was over when there was actually some time remaining or when the siren went and the time clock showed some time remaining and in close games some clubs thought they were being cheated. So the decision was made to go to real time. I don't know what date this was.
clanger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Doddy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:58 pm

The only bit of the exhibition that surprised me was a small caption on the 1964 timeline that said ...

Central District Football Club and Woodville Football Club joined the League after a vote to rescind the invitation was lost on the casting vote of the League chairman Tony Kenny. Elizabeth and Woodville Ovals were introduced as venues form League matches.

I wasn't aware the 1964 expansion was contentious. I'd also be interested to know which 4 clubs were in favour and which 4 were against.

And I'm sure he's long passed, but I give my thanks to Tony Kenny. CDFC have been important to me for many years.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Grenville » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Went today with a mate who is a Legs fan. We both loved it. Watched the highlights reel from start to end, takes 45min to an hour but a top watch. We spent about 3 hours there and could quite easily have spent at least another hour there. Definitely worth a look.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 am

Went and had a look at this yesterday. It's a very impressive collection of memorabilia and displays. As Grenville said, you probably need three hours to really soak it in, I only had 45 or so minutes spare so I should probably go again and do it justice. One of the highlights was the agreement for players attending a very early state carnival who had to travel by boat, and one of its terms was they would get their payment only if they stayed sober.

Had a great chat with a couple of older ladies about the glory days of the league and its meaning culturally in SA, its demise in recent times, and it's uncertain future. Plenty in attendance, which was great to see, although I was probably the youngest there. As much as I was impressed by this celebration of the wonderful history and legacy of the league, as I walked out I couldn't help feel saddened that the memory of it's rich history and influence in this state has already started to fade, and that it will probably continue to do so.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:02 am

Had that same feeling around age when I was wandering around. It's a bit eerie.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Had that same feeling around age when I was wandering around. It's a bit eerie.

Feels like it should be permanently housed somewhere. I know much of the memorabilia is offered by private collectors or families of the people involved so that's unlikely.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 am

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Had that same feeling around age when I was wandering around. It's a bit eerie.

Feels like it should be permanently housed somewhere. I know much of the memorabilia is offered by private collectors or families of the people involved so that's unlikely.

The display itself highlights how much is stored in historical archives, so it would be easily accessible. More of it, most definitely, should be on display and could even have been at this exhibition.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:43 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:

The display itself highlights how much is stored in historical archives, so it would be easily accessible. More of it, most definitely, should be on display and could even have been at this exhibition.

We have the Bradman Museum at the Oval, surely an SANFL one could be established?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL