NEW SANFL WIN/LOSS STATS

All discussions to do with the SANFL

NEW SANFL WIN/LOSS STATS

Postby Mark_Beswick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:28 pm

During the week as Official SANFL Historian, I asked the budget to reset Port Adelaide WIN/LOSS records from 2011-2017.

In 2010, The Port Adelaide Football Club wanted to formalise a Reserves team in the SANFL. In doing so, it gave up its share in Football Park, its place on the Football Commission, its Junior Zones and signed up to an agreement with the SANFL under its AFL Parent Licence as the “Powers” seconds side and had agreements to run an Academy Side in the SANFL Reserves competition. The Old Port Adelaide amalgamated its assets (Prince of Wales Hotel) under its “One Club” drive and achieved its aim.
It is therefore time to realise that the stats for this side needed amending on official SANFL records and publications. it was incumbent to make sure that we record our history with accuracy and note that Port Adelaide (Magpies) must be seen as a new SANFL entity since 2011 seeking to win its first Senior Football Premiership.

The revised win / loss stats should be adopted in this weeks Football Budget and wasnt a decision made by the editor or the budget so please don't hassle them.
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: NEW SANFL WIN/LOSS STATS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:During the week as Official SANFL Historian, I asked the budget to reset Port Adelaide WIN/LOSS records from 2011-2017.

In 2010, The Port Adelaide Football Club wanted to formalise a Reserves team in the SANFL. In doing so, it gave up its share in Football Park, its place on the Football Commission, its Junior Zones and signed up to an agreement with the SANFL under its AFL Parent Licence as the “Powers” seconds side and had agreements to run an Academy Side in the SANFL Reserves competition. The Old Port Adelaide amalgamated its assets (Prince of Wales Hotel) under its “One Club” drive and achieved its aim.
It is therefore time to realise that the stats for this side needed amending on official SANFL records and publications. it was incumbent to make sure that we record our history with accuracy and note that Port Adelaide (Magpies) must be seen as a new SANFL entity since 2011 seeking to win its first Senior Football Premiership.

The revised win / loss stats should be adopted in this weeks Football Budget and wasnt a decision made by the editor or the budget so please don't hassle them.

Should really be a separate set of records between 1997 and 2010 too as that was the "Port Adelaide Magpies" entity rather than the "Port Adelaide" that shifted to the AFL.

The decision from 2011 makes sense, we don't combine Woodville & Torrens records into the current day WWT.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:During the week as Official SANFL Historian, I asked the budget to reset Port Adelaide WIN/LOSS records from 2011-2017.

The first year of Port Adelaide AFL and Port Adelaide SANFL alignment on field was....?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Officially for the 2011 season although there were those transfers of players that began happening a year or two before -
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:Officially for the 2011 season although there were those transfers of players that began happening a year or two before -

2014 was the first full season that all AFL aligned players not selected at AFL level played in the Port Adelaide Magpies team, agreed?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby scott » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Who specifically made the decision that Port Adelaide's history prior to 2011 doesn't count anymore? A group of people? Just one person?
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby PhilH » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Interesting, the problem is there are at least 5 different start dates.

1877 - when SAFA association commenced

1907 - the consensus start date for stats for every record book done since the 1970's

1997 - when the Port Adelaide Football clubs elite team played AFL, new Magpies entity formed

2011 - as outlined above

2014 - when Magpies became Power reserves

All of these have reasonably strong arguments attached to them.

I should add as the one who produces the weekly stats report for media covering SANFL (Inc Football Budget) which includes head to head stats.
the instructions I received back in 2014 was to keep records of Port Magpies in SANFL league back to 1907.

Should I be advised to change by the SANFL officials I co-ordinate with then I will act accordingly.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:34 pm

PhilH wrote:Interesting, the problem is there are at least 5 different start dates.

1877 - when SAFA association commenced

1907 - the consensus start date for stats for every record book done since the 1970's

1997 - when the Port Adelaide Football clubs elite team played AFL, new Magpies entity formed

2011 - as outlined above

2014 - when Magpies became Power reserves

All of these have reasonably strong arguments attached to them.

I should add as the one who produces the weekly stats report for media covering SANFL (Inc Football Budget) which includes head to head stats.
the instructions I received back in 2014 was to keep records of Port Magpies in SANFL league back to 1907.

Should I be advised to change by the SANFL officials I co-ordinate with then I will act accordingly.

I'm just pondering 2011 off field being the catalyst for W-L recognition when on field cganged 2014.

By the way Mark, not in any way questioning your importance or role, just feel it's worth discussion.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:33 pm

It's not even a point of contention, the original PAFC that changes its name to the PAMFC got exterminated by the franchise that took over their name. No discussion, no argument, it just happened.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Aerie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Has to be 2014 when on field they became a Reserves team. That was the most significant change with regards to their ability to win or lose a game as they play with a different set of rules to the other teams in the "competition" when it comes to compiling a playing list.

Becoming Port Magpies in 1997 was obviously a big change, but on field probably not heaps more than Glenelg in 1991 and their ability to compile a playing list was at least similar to the other SANFL clubs at the time.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby RB » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:14 pm

^Agree with Aerie. 2011 is totally insignificant. 2014 was the big change.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:25 pm

I incorporated a company 2 years ago. It started trading this year, So what date does its accounts start from?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Harry the Horse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Aerie wrote:Has to be 2014 when on field they became a Reserves team. That was the most significant change with regards to their ability to win or lose a game as they play with a different set of rules to the other teams in the "competition" when it comes to compiling a playing list.

Becoming Port Magpies in 1997 was obviously a big change, but on field probably not heaps more than Glenelg in 1991 and their ability to compile a playing list was at least similar to the other SANFL clubs at the time.

Agree 100%.
They had been stockpiling a few of their own for a few years but the team became a whole different beast in 2014 .. really hard to argue for any other date in my view.
And we all know at the end of the day, statisticians tend to decide this things rather than League officials.
Remember how AFL officials tried to start Brisbane records afresh when they became the Lions? That soon got forgotten.
But we all know if the Pear reserves win the flag, they'll claim it as their 37th flag ..
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 pm

scott wrote:Who specifically made the decision that Port Adelaide's history prior to 2011 doesn't count anymore? A group of people? Just one person?

It astill counts

You just need to separate the time from when Port Magpies were not aligned with the Power from the original Port Adelaide FC (Magpies) to current aligned team
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Mark_Beswick » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Ports new annual reports start 2011.
Sturts annual report at end of 2010 talks about the new Port Adelaide as do some other club annual reports.
The 2010 Port Adelaide annual report was the last time it reported as a separate entity.
From 2011 on, you will note all Magpie accounts are part of the AFL/Powers accounts. You wil also see tokenistic references to the Maggies which gets smaller each year although still much larger than what the crows present in their year-book/report.

I have all the Power and Magpie annual reports from this period as well as all other sanfl clubs from 1970 onwards. While 2014 would sit well, historically the club starts 2011 which I agree is messy but accuarte.
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Surely all this should've been made clear and sorted out back in 2011 or 2014.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:06 pm

I tried back in 2012 but lots of things have changed since then, and the SANFL has really taken on the history side of things now.
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:Ports new annual reports start 2011.
Sturts annual report at end of 2010 talks about the new Port Adelaide as do some other club annual reports.
The 2010 Port Adelaide annual report was the last time it reported as a separate entity.
From 2011 on, you will note all Magpie accounts are part of the AFL/Powers accounts. You wil also see tokenistic references to the Maggies which gets smaller each year although still much larger than what the crows present in their year-book/report.

I have all the Power and Magpie annual reports from this period as well as all other sanfl clubs from 1970 onwards. While 2014 would sit well, historically the club starts 2011 which I agree is messy but accuarte.

Yep, what they say when they pitch the idea is fantasy. The percentage of promised statements which is revealed as bullshit grows with each passing year, once they have a foot in the door, it no longer matters. Crows/Power, it is the same corporate bullshit wearing different colours, neither care a jot for anything but their own success.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:55 am

Mark_Beswick wrote:Ports new annual reports start 2011.

But it doesn't reflect what occured on field, which is the basis of the W-L from 2014, not 2011.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:03 am

Wedgie wrote:It's not even a point of contention, the original PAFC that changes its name to the PAMFC got exterminated by the franchise that took over their name. No discussion, no argument, it just happened.

Never argued that change didn't occur, my point was when did the on field change occur reflecting how W/L's get recorded which has since been supported by the comments of several other posters.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL