2017 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:35 pm

The good thing is that people and players can put their hand up and say 'I have a problem' and know they won't be ridiculed unlike in the past.

All the best to all of them
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Brodlach wrote:The good thing is that people and players can put their hand up and say 'I have a problem' and know they won't be ridiculed unlike in the past.

All the best to all of them

It shits me when people say, "oh well he's got everything what does he have to be depressed about". Or he's not getting a kick, who are we to pass judgement on someone we don't even know.

Hope Boyd gets all the help he needs
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 pm

These young lads get plucked from their lounge rooms where they have dinner with mum and dad every night into full on regimes where footy is installed into them 24/7.

Most apprentices or kids joining the workforce do their 8 hour day and then have their time with friends and family, they can go down the local for a beer and no one cares.

All the preparation and education in the world can't cater for every player in the system, sure there's great financial gains and celebrity status that goes along with the job but they do sacrifice a lot for the privilege.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Oh please. Poor kids.
Mental illness is a completely different subject to kids that walk into 60k plus jobs doing something they love.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:Oh please. Poor kids.
Mental illness is a completely different subject to kids that walk into 60k plus jobs doing something they love.

Of course, they have money, they must be happy and free of worries in the world.

One night your sitting on your lounge in Adelaide, next day your billeted out to a family you don't know in Sydney for an unknown amount of time, pretty easy transition.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Of course, they have money, they must be happy and free of worries in the world.

One night your sitting on your lounge in Adelaide, next day your billeted out to a family you don't know in Sydney for an unknown amount of time, pretty easy transition.

Who said they were happy and free in the world?
I just know they would be a lot happier than people at the same age who are incarcerated, homeless, dependent on drugs or fighting in wars in general.
Mental illness doesnt choose people because of their employment.
And ai loved being billeted out to other families interstate when I was a teenager. Mind you if i was the minimum age of an AFL footballer I wouldnt even consider that, I'd be too old to want/need it.
Once again, nothing to do with mental illness.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby morell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 pm

For **** sake Wedgie. Is there any opinion you have on any subject that isn't directly transplanted from the 80s and supported by your personal anecdotes?

"But I loved being billeted out to families!"

Poor mental health can often be exacerbated or induced by social or familial isolation and/or brought on by stress. One persons situation and how they react to being drafted might be completely different to another. It's not a ******* pissing contest.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Wedgie wrote:Who said they were happy and free in the world?
I just know they would be a lot happier than people at the same age who are incarcerated, homeless, dependent on drugs or fighting in wars in general.
Mental illness doesnt choose people because of their employment.
And ai loved being billeted out to other families interstate when I was a teenager. Mind you if i was the minimum age of an AFL footballer I wouldnt even consider that, I'd be too old to want/need it.
Once again, nothing to do with mental illness.

For a week?

What's up? Did Ellen play a re-run today or you're just getting your quota up for the day?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:40 pm

morell wrote:For **** sake Wedgie. Is there any opinion you have on any subject that isn't directly transplanted from the 80s and supported by your personal anecdotes?

Poor mental health can often be exacerbated or induced by social or familial isolation and/or brought on by stress. One persons situation and how they react to being drafted might be completely different to another. It's not a ******* pissing contest.

I'm sure the families were thrilled too ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:40 pm

morell wrote:For **** sake Wedgie. Is there any opinion you have on any subject that isn't directly transplanted from the 80s and supported by your personal anecdotes?

It can also be induced by a million other things not faced by AFL footballers. It can actually be induced by anything!
But hang on, arent Boyd and Cloke from Victoria?

You're the only one getting personal and talking about pissing contests. You should learn to let others share opinions on this forum (which is one of the reasons I created it) in a mature manner.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Why do people get personal on forums? Surely that could induce depression or anxiety in people, who they're supposed to be showing empathy for?
Hypocritical?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby morell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Wedgie wrote:

It can also be induced by a million other things not faced by AFL footballers. It can actually be induced by anything!
Of course, you can be born with a chemical imbalance, you can have it induced by a traumatic event. The one thing I am sure of is discounting or dismissing any cause, whether you think its pertinent or not, is not helpful.

Remember, you said this:

Which is completely dismissing what people might be suffering with because you personally enjoyed some of their circumstances.

Poor form and I called you out on it. No need to get all sniffly.

Wedgie wrote:You're the only one getting personal and talking about pissing contests. You should learn to let others share opinions on this forum (which is one of the reasons I created it) in a mature manner.
No, I am not. I am calling you out for your outdated and ill informed opinions.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 pm

morell wins.. Fatality.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:Why do people get personal on forums? Surely that could induce depression or anxiety in people, who they're supposed to be showing empathy for?
Hypocritical?

You say the sweetest things, you come in wielding an axe and then say "hey, what's all the fuss?"
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:09 pm

More insults morrell? Wow, we better all pray that I don't have depression. I won't lower myself to the same in case I induce you into a mental illness as I'm empathatic to the cause.
Saying AFL footballers are more likely to have depression than the general community is as ignorant as someone saying AFL footballers would be more likely to be born with a genetic heart disease. Its this ignorance that actually does more harm than good for the education of the general community in mental illness.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby morell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:More insults morrell? Wow, we better all pray that I don't have depression. I won't lower myself to the same in case I induce you into a mental illness as I'm empathatic to the cause.
I haven't insulted you as a person, once. I don't know who you are. The only things I have been critical of are the opinions you have shared of your own volition on here.

You are *not* entitled to your opinion, you are only entitled to be informed. Which on this subject, based on the non-anecdotal evidence you have provided, you are not.

Wedgie wrote:Saying AFL footballers are more likely to have depression than the general community is as ignorant (and outdated) as someone saying AFL footballers would be more likely to be born with a genetic heart disease. Its this ignorance that actually does more harm than good for the education of the general community in mental illness.
No one said that. Now you're just making stuff up.

Look, before it all gets out of hand and because I think you're reasonable, this post is the only thing I have issues with, aside from that, happy to move on:

morell
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:
You're the only one getting personal and talking about pissing contests. You should learn to let others share opinions on this forum (which is one of the reasons I created it) in a mature manner.

I can't remember the last time you responded in a mature way to anything on here
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Post of the year morrell. You can't see your own insults and I'm not entitled to an opinion on my own forum?
Wow.
Good luck in life mate.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I can't remember the last time you responded in a mature way to anything on here

Thanks mate, I always take insults from you as a compliment. :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Doing something you love does not make you immune from mental illness.
Making all the money in the world does not make you immune from mental illness.

Comments like this show that the community, as a whole, still need educating on the subject.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL