Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Yep thats him, South picked a different kid for their award though.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Congrats to Wack Hutch 250 games.

Feck Me is there any club in Australia that has had more games played than the Hutchinson family have at Pongy? Baz, Bucky, 'Pie, Tex, Ritchie, Wal, Tilt, Wack, James...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Snap Kick Ninja » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 am

am Bays wrote:Congrats to Wack Hutch 250 games.

Feck Me is there any club in Australia that has had more games played than the Hutchinson family have at Pongy? Baz, Bucky, 'Pie, Tex, Ritchie, Wal, Tilt, Wack, James...

Nick... Ben...
Snap Kick Ninja
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby GWW » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Are they all brothers/cousins, or are they from more than 1 generation?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Three generations but there are two sets of brothers in that lot, one with over 600 games, one with 900 +
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 am

Well 1st round of the 2nd half of the season and the upsets continued.
3 teams reversing their Round 1 losses.

Not surprisingly Mt Compass reversed their result against the Creek with a dominant 16 goal win with Pinyon and Hill having a day out up forward.
Completely outclassed the Hawks with the margin accentuated by straight kicking by the Dogs where as the Hawks were well off line with Warren playing only his 3rd game for the season found the ball ok but was horribly lacking confidence kicking for goal as his 1goal 6 behinds suggests and that 1 goal was doubtful as well.

The up and down Goolwa / Pt Elliot Magpies inflicted Willungas 1st defeat for the season in well and truly comprehensive fashion trouncing the Demons by 50 points whilst restricting them to a miserly 6 - 3 :shock:

The other Major upset was Strath also reversing their Round 1 loss to Victor by a surprisingly easy 46 points restricting Victor to just 5 goals in perfect conditions.

Bays got over the Hapless McLaren Eagles by the same 4 goal margin as their 1st round to keep their remote finals hopes alive whilst McLaren continue to be very competitive without winning.

Yankalilla consolidated 2nd spot on the ladder with a relatively comfortable win over Myponga / Sellicks despite having 1 less scoring shot. An accurate 9 - 2 surprisingly being enough against the Larks 5 - 7

Round 11

Creek host Goolwa / Pt Elliot in what could be a season defining match for both. Had a Draw in Round 2 and both are locked on 11 points each in 4th and 5th spot. Form lines from last week could not be more apart but that seems to account for little these days.
I feel the Creek will need to snatch a win here or their early season confidence and momentum gained could diminish quickly and see them tumble from the finals race.

E Bay will need to get over the Mudlarks who have performed well in the last month to keep their Finals hopes alive

Strath will certainly find out if they are back on track after an abysmal 1st half of the season by hosting Compass who seem to have finally awoke from their Premiership Hangover

Willunga should bounce back after a wake up call last week by accounting for their neighbors McLaren but certainly wouldn't want to take them too lightly.

Yank hammered Victor in Round 2 and have been consistent since where as Victor have certainly been up and down with their form.
The Roos narrowly went down to Willunga by only 7 points, then Beat Compass to suggest they're the real deal but then follow up with losses to Creek and Strath and that on top of being the only team to lose to McLaren. Certainly hard to follow.

Not making any tips for any matches as nothing would surprise me.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:48 am

Quiet in here, our identities are no secret anymore so the quality sledging has dropped off

Question: with the season being so tight, what constitutes a game being called off? Two this year with both games being in the balance. Obviously both injuries serious enough to need ambulances but who polices the severity of the injury to make that call. No I'll feeling towards the injured players but reports suggest the first player was released from hospital on the Saturday night and yesterday's was a broken leg?
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:51 am

I think the game is called off if there is any more than a 30 min delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:22 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Quiet in here, our identities are no secret anymore so the quality sledging has dropped off

Question: with the season being so tight, what constitutes a game being called off? Two this year with both games being in the balance. Obviously both injuries serious enough to need ambulances but who polices the severity of the injury to make that call. No I'll feeling towards the injured players but reports suggest the first player was released from hospital on the Saturday night and yesterday's was a broken leg?

Very good questions.
Have wondered the same thing
Not being at either match, its hard to make judgement of the situations
As Never wrote, a 30 minute delay constitutes a match being able to be abandoned.
Before half time it's a Draw, After Half Time, whoever is in front at the time wins.
I stand to be corrected on that tho.
2 years ago at Myponga, the Fog was so thick the game couldn't be started. Umpires waited 30 minutes and then Abandoned the game
Last year at Strath in a night match, lights went out b4 the start but came back on within 30 minutes so match started.
Problem was they went off again sometime in the 1st half but then restarted again after a short break. Think it was just mutually agreed at that stage to shorten a quarter or 2 to finish the match.
Yes, these are different situations as to games being abandoned due to injury.
I agree that a players welfare is more important than the result of a footy game. It's just unusual that twice in a season this has happened.
I guess these days with the possible legalities involved when someone is injured that club trainers etc are more reluctant to move a player in fear of any repercussions and the safer option is to wait for an ambulance in serious cases which is most cases will delay the game by more than 30 minutes.

Some more interesting results yesterday that could have a BIG bearing on finals placings.
Willunga surprisingly SMASHED Yankaliila
Compass got over the Bays in a close one
Strath with a few players back in off their injury list certainly may shape the Finals chances of a few clubs over the coming 5 weeks which started with them upsetting Goolwa/PE yesterday by a point.
Victor looked comfortably in front when their game was abandoned
Creeks kept McLaren in the game til half time with some woeful kicking for goal in the 1st half but reversed that trend after half time to run out easy winners.
Top 3 look set in stone to me
1/ Willunga
2nd & 3rd Yank & Compass

4th - 7th is still wide open
This weeks game between Bays and Creeks is massive !!!
Creeks may only need 2 more wins to secure a finals spot but that wont be easy, No wins are.
If Creeks win, i'd say they're home for a Finals spot and Bays are Done, if Bays win, there may well be only a point separating 4 clubs with 4 to play as Goolwa/PE and Victor would both be expected to win next week playing Myp/Sellicks & McLaren respectively although it could well be dangerous to assume that.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Hugh Dalloway » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Two clear favorites for me, Mt Compass & Willunga. Went to Willunga on Saturday to watch the match of the round, and Willunga made Yank look second rate. To beat the second side by 13-14 goals is an ominous sign.
Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself
Hugh Dalloway

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby dogsrbarkin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Quiet in here, our identities are no secret anymore so the quality sledging has dropped off

Broken leg ??? :shock: Isn't that just a stretcher ? Not a nice thing to happen but surely the player could have been removed from the oval then an ambulance called...play on !
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 pm

dogsrbarkin wrote:

Broken leg ??? :shock: Isn't that just a stretcher ? Not a nice thing to happen but surely the player could have been removed from the oval then an ambulance called...play on !
Depends on the severity of the break. Some trainers do not have sufficient skills in dealing with this.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Tiger83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:20 pm

heater31 wrote:
dogsrbarkin wrote:

Depends on the severity of the break. Some trainers do not have sufficient skills in dealing with this.

Well apparently it was a compound fracture (bone through skin) so I don't blame the trainers for not touching him... I'd rather have the professionals taking care of me. (Not saying trainers don't do a great job tho). Some clubs have heaps of trainers, some only have one or two so it's a judgement call. As long as they have a few green sticks handy!!
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:26 pm

4 rounds to go and i'm tipping the 5 is set after yesterdays results.
Creeks eliminated the Bays finals chances by thumping them yesterday and should seal their return to finals action for the 1st time since 2014 by defeating Myp/Sellicks next week
Bays wont win another game for the season, kept trying hard all day yesterday but are too undermanned it seems allowing Creeks to kick too many easy goals
Victor are the team that could kick Goolwa/PE out of 5th spot and they get their chance to do that this week
Given their respective draws for the last 4 rounds, a Victor loss should see them out of the race and even if they do win, i'd still favour G/PE to regain 5th with the easier draw they have.
Strath with their upset win over Willunga yesterday are still mathematically a chance to grab 5th and should at least win their next 3 games and finish with Yank which they'd be every chance to beat now they have got some of their quality players back. That would give them 18 points which 50% of the time is enough to play finals but maybe not this year as i can see both Creeks and G/PE finishing with 19 points at least.
Only possible change to the Top 3 is Compass grabbing top off Willunga. For that to happen, Compass need to win their last 4 matches which they would be likely to do if they start with beating Willunga this week. Then they would need to bank on Willunga dropping another game, Against the Creek at the Creek a possibility.
Tipping the table after Round 18 may look like this
1/ Willunga
2/ Mt Compass
3/ Yank
4/ G/PE
5/ L Ck
6/ VH
7/ Strath
8/ E Bay
9/ Myp/Sellicks
10/ McLaren
jackpot jim
Coach

Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:57 pm

If victor make the 5 they'll certainly have earnt it with Goolwa, willunga, compass and creek to come. Tough in anyone's language esp with some cattle out for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Bull Dog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Being unashamedly a Hawks fan I couldn't be happier with where the lads are this far into the season. With only a handful of games to go we look finals bound when in all honesty we all thought it was going to be a challenging season when we lost our CHB and Ruckman without a game being played.

Our in's were very good but to loose two crucial player at such a late stage really tested our club and its depth.

Well, how wrong were we. The young lads in the side have done more than stand up, they have proven to be more than ready for this level of competition. They have been hard at the contest, hard at the ball and been able to acquit themselves more than we could ever have expected.

Whatever happens from here forward its been a year to remember and we have certainly unearthed some exceptional talent, we've welcomed back to the club some exceptional talent and if we can keep this group together and continue to build through the juniors and senior colts the future is certainly looking bright at LCFC.

Its been a cracker of a year again in the GSFL and the remaining 4 weeks are sure to set us up for what appears to be a ripper of a finals series.

Well done to all.
Bull Dog
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby dogsrbarkin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Bull Dog wrote:Being unashamedly a Hawks fan I couldn't be happier with where the lads are this far into the season. With only a handful of games to go we look finals bound when in all honesty we all thought it was going to be a challenging season when we lost our CHB and Ruckman without a game being played.

Our in's were very good but to loose two crucial player at such a late stage really tested our club and its depth.

Well, how wrong were we. The young lads in the side have done more than stand up, they have proven to be more than ready for this level of competition. They have been hard at the contest, hard at the ball and been able to acquit themselves more than we could ever have expected.

Whatever happens from here forward its been a year to remember and we have certainly unearthed some exceptional talent, we've welcomed back to the club some exceptional talent and if we can keep this group together and continue to build through the juniors and senior colts the future is certainly looking bright at LCFC.

Its been a cracker of a year again in the GSFL and the remaining 4 weeks are sure to set us up for what appears to be a ripper of a finals series.

Well done to all.

Yep well done to the club Bulldog and a massive bonus getting the ruckman Killian back to just qualify for the finals ;)
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Animus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Round 15, probably wet & windy:

Creek @ home over Pongy
Compass @ home to beat Willunga
Strath @ home should take care of the Vale
Victor @ home will have a draw with Goolwa
Yank @ home shall be victorious over Ebay

Is it too early for clubs to be sounding out coaches for next season or does ex-Aldinga/Willunga multiple premiership player Portlock just really like the beer at Goodiesons?
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Grape Ape » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Do they serve Goodiesons at the Victoria Hotel?
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby mutton cove » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 pm

Ex McLaren, Reynella premiership coach is locked & loaded subject to getting some feral supporters to toe the line.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy