Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby morell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm

valleys07 wrote:Question is- with the emergence of Clurey, the resurgence of Jonas, plus having to fit one of Hombsch and Austin in the side, what is Trengove's role moving forward??

I genuinely have no idea.
He's a better defensive centre half back than all of them
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby MW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:50 pm

morell wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Question is- with the emergence of Clurey, the resurgence of Jonas, plus having to fit one of Hombsch and Austin in the side, what is Trengove's role moving forward??

I think someone explained it a few days ago on here.
Allowing him to go forward as the 2nd ruck and Ryder swapping with him means they don't disrupt the back six with ruck changes when Trengove goes in.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:50 pm

valleys07 wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:Does a bit, not heaps but is our 3rd tall. So not sure Morell thinks we are any different to other sides. Looking at the sides he has listed, we are the same as Sydney & Essendon. Think GWS with their full side would play 3 talls permanently.
I don't get why people are bagging Trengove so much. He is doing his job and he would be doing what any other tall in our side would do. Realistically, when we go inside 50, when do we look to short? When we kick the ball 50 metres up in the air and sit it on the key forwards heads and expect them to beat 2-3 guys each time. It's lucky we always have one of Wingard or Gray roving off of them

I believe the only game this season in which Westhoff has spent significant time forward was the West Coast game.

I will disagree to an extent, Bertie. People rag on Trengove because he simply isn't fulfilling the requirements of a 2nd tall forward. Less than a goal a game average, 1 contested mark per game average and 1 mark inside 50 average across the season is not good enough. Harry Taylor as a part time 2nd tall for Geelong is putting up better numbers.

At the end of the day, this was an experiment. An experiment that has failed.

Question is- with the emergence of Clurey, the resurgence of Jonas, plus having to fit one of Hombsch and Austin in the side, what is Trengove's role moving forward??

morell wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:I don't get why people are bagging Trengove so much. He is doing his job and he would be doing what any other tall in our side would do.

He took one mark inside 50 in 8 weeks.

ONE!

He took a cutla chestys vs West Coast and North, only other games he took more than one were against Carlton and Brisbane. 0 again last week. It's not like our inside 50 counts are low either.

For 2017 he averages 0.8 goals a game. 0.8 Marks inside 50 a game. 3 marks in total. 12 disposals. 3 tackles (not too bad).

Do you really think Brett Eddy couldn't achieve that? Or Dougal Howard?

You are right in that hes just playing his role, but we have a bunch of guys that could play that role with the same output. Some with far more upside, especially when Trengove is a natural rangy centre half back and we've struggled for options down there this year.

EDIT: damnit valleys stole my thunder :lol:

Agree with both in that Eddy or Howard would provide a greater forwardline input than Trengove. My arguement is that we don't need another tall in the forward line. I like our defence settled with Hombsch back in it this week. All i am saying is, i don't want Trengove to go back now as they are rather settled and you can't replace Hombsch with Trengove and the other two can't be dropped at the moment. Hinkley won't drop Trengove, so unless someone gets injured he will not come out. Also as per earlier in the week, he is our 2nd ruck, so he is covering us in that role as well.
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:51 pm

MW wrote:
morell wrote:

I think someone explained it a few days ago on here.
Allowing him to go forward as the 2nd ruck and Ryder swapping with him means they don't disrupt the back six with ruck changes when Trengove goes in.

Just beat me to it again
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby morell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Reading this...

We literally have a best and fairest winning centre half back spudding it up forward and a raft of keen young forwards rotting in the SANFL.

and the argument that for 5 minutes a quarter he relieves Ryder doesn't hold up. Howard can do exactly that as well.

morell
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:54 pm

So are both Hombsch and Austin expendable to allow Trengove back?

Allow Westhoff to fulfill the role of 3rd tall defender when Trengove pinch hits in the ruck..
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bertiebeatle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm

morell wrote:Reading this...

We literally have a best and fairest winning centre half back spudding it up forward and a raft of keen young forwards rotting in the SANFL.

and the argument that for 5 minutes a quarter he relieves Ryder doesn't hold up. Howard can do exactly that as well.

He can't go back into defense now. He can't replace anyone down there.

Dougal would be able to do that, is he ready to though? Would rather he spend the year in the SANFL coming off an ACL as a young kid.
And really, he hasn't set the world on fire. He kicked 8 against Westies when they were terrible and that is it (happy to corrected if i am wrong, didn't see much of the SANFL in the first half of the season).
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby bertiebeatle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:58 pm

valleys07 wrote:So are both Hombsch and Austin expendable to allow Trengove back?

Allow Westhoff to fulfill the role of 3rd tall defender when Trengove pinch hits in the ruck..

Hombsch plays a different role. He plays more as an intercept backman rathar than a one on one type. Clurey & Jonas play more as the key defenders and they have been great this year
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:04 pm

The 3 times we have been genuinely cut up this year in GWS, Essendon and Melbourne, all have offered 3 tall forward structures.

You can absolutely replace Hombsch with Trengove, Bertie.

Running with Clurey, Jonas and Hombsch robs us of genuine tall options, as Hombsch is and will forever play an intercept role over an accountable role. Austin's game on the weekend was a mistake from the coaches box, IMO. We were too slow to react to Hogan's early dominance, and once Austin was shifted onto Watts- we looked much more stable back there. The 2 knocks that Austin appeared to cop wouldn't have helped.

Trengove >> Austin. Trengove and Clurey as our spine with Jonas as that 3rd tall playing predominately accountable rather than intercept would sure us up even more defensively.

Now where to fit in our 9,642 half back flankers...
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 pm

valleys07 wrote:The 3 times we have been genuinely cut up this year in GWS, Essendon and Melbourne, all have offered 3 tall forward structures.

Running with Clurey, Jonas and Hombsch robs us of genuine tall options, as Hombsch is and will forever play an intercept role over an accountable role. Austin's game on the weekend was a mistake from the coaches box, IMO. We were too slow to react to Hogan's early dominance, and once Austin was shifted onto Watts- we looked much more stable back there. The 2 knocks that Austin appeared to cop wouldn't have helped.

Trengove >> Austin. Trengove and Clurey as our spine with Jonas as that 3rd tall playing predominately accountable rather than intercept would sure us up even more defensively.

Reckon we would be too slow with Trengove, Clurey & Jonas in the back half

I'm lucky that i had local footy and missed the game! I did hear the first 5 minutes on the radio and the first thing all 3 of them said was that match up was wrong & need to move Austin off him. I couldn't see the Essendon game & agree re GWS. Hinkley took a punt to go small and the one less tall in defense killed us. Haha, that is our next problem! Would package Trengove & Pittard together for Ben Brown! Problem is they are both free agents so wouldn't happen
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby morell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:19 pm

valleys07 wrote:The 3 times we have been genuinely cut up this year in GWS, Essendon and Melbourne, all have offered 3 tall forward structures.

morell
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:19 pm

We wouldn't be any slower by having Jonas play Hombsch's role. Port's problem is not pace, whether that be on the lead or quick running back into our defensive 50 to defend. Our problem is purely lack of height. Trengove would fix that.

Unfortunately, Hombsch just signed a 2 year extension, but I would be fine with Pittard leaving.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 am

Booney wrote:Sounds like :
In - Hombsch, Pittard, Young, Amon
Out - Austin ( Omit ), Wingard ( inj ), White ( Omit ) and either Polec or Atley.

Got the ins and 3 of the 4 outs right, little surprised with the Houston omission, he must be very unlucky to be replaced by Pittard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby morell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

That's an understatement.

I honestly don't know what goes through their heads sometimes. I'm hoping he's just sore and needs another rest.
morell
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:04 am

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/ne ... utes-to-go

Must have been a massive crowd for you to sneak out early :-)
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby morell » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Boop

morell
Coach

Postby MW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:03 pm

morell wrote:Boop

But people left early.
MW
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Best tap of the year and would have had him as AA ruck man just for that tap alone had I not watched Jacob's game today. Even though I won't see much of it I'm really looking forward to Ryder v Jacobs next Sunday. I'd still choose Jacobs in a side but next week will be a pleasure to watch just for that contest alone.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:13 pm

wtf was Seb Ross doing?
MW
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:15 pm

How would you feel being one of the Port supporters streaming out with 2min to go!

Must say that's pretty average - why not sit there and watch the end of the game, even if Port had choked from a strong position and lost.. surely being a supporter is about for better or worse!?!

Don't buy into the "we leave early to beat the crowd and get home quicker" - how much quicker you gonna get home leaving 120 seconds earlier? Lucky if at all.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL