Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby The Bedge » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 pm

MW wrote:wtf was Seb Ross doing?

Watching that gif I get the impression he thought/expected the player on the right (Dunstan?) to pick up Gray as he veered past, instead he watched the ball and in that split second Gray managed to get a metre on them and run clear.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Zartan wrote:

Watching that gif I get the impression he thought/expected the player on the right (Dunstan?) to pick up Gray as he veered past, instead he watched the ball and in that split second Gray managed to get a metre on them and run clear.
I want to know WTF the St Kilda corridor guard was doing.....at least if they were in position Gray would have been forced to find an option much earlier than he did.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 pm

I don't think you can criticise the Saints too much...... it was just a perfect tap to a seriously good player who was on the run and he finished it.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 am

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:Sounds like :
In - Hombsch, Pittard, Young, Amon
Out - Austin ( Omit ), Wingard ( inj ), White ( Omit ) and either Polec or Atley.

Got the ins and 3 of the 4 outs right, little surprised with the Houston omission, he must be very unlucky to be replaced by Pittard.

Thoughts on this now Booney? Thought Pittard was very good Saturday night.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

morell wrote:Boop

Absolute top shelf.

Could this be the goal of the year?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby morell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 am

heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

I want to know WTF the St Kilda corridor guard was doing.....at least if they were in position Gray would have been forced to find an option much earlier than he did.
Well done, the first person I've seen that spotted where the issue for St Kilda was. Nothing Ross could've done really but I think it was Roberton? ... he isn't that vision but he got dragged too close to the contest out the back. Probably the right spot if it's the second quarter and you're trying to get the quick hands to move the ball forward, but at that moment he just needed to tread water and stay where he was. Which at the time of the throw in was about 5m to the side of where Gray kicked it.

Had he done that, Gray would've run straight into him and been forced to bomb long, where St Kilda obviously had the numbers.
Last edited by morell on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby MW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 am

No
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:24 am

morell wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

Well done, the first person I've seen that spotted where the issue for St Kilda was. Nothing Ross could've done really but I think it was Roberton? ... he isn't that vision but he got dragged too close to the contest out the back. Probably the right spot if it's the second quarter and you're trying to get the quick hands to move the ball forward, but at that moment he just needed to tread water and stay where he was. Which at the time of the throw in was about 5m to the side of where Gray kicked it.

Had he done that, Gray would've run straight into him and been forced to bomb long, where St Kilda obviously had the numbers.

They're all to blame, not one of them made any contact with Gray, not even an arm across the body, a grab of the jumper, nothing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:27 am

Booney wrote:They're all to blame, not one of them made any contact with Gray, not even an arm across the body, a grab of the jumper, nothing.

They were discussing this yesterday on the radio as well, even giving away a free kick for holding would've been a winning result for STK.

Literally a dozen different scenarios could've played out and they win 99% of them - unfortunately the one scenario that sees them lose played out.

Fair last two minutes from Port though, was good to watch, and fitting that a champion like Gray won the game for them.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 am

Yeah but at the time you wouldn't of wanted to give a holding free kick away either. It's pretty tough to stop an AFL midfielder, moving at pace, from getting on the end of a tap like that when it's all so perfectly executed.

Gray started boundary line side and sprinted to the back side when the ball was in the air and Ryder hit the absolute perfect tap. Was nothing much he could've done other than scrag him and risk putting it into the umps hands (which in retrospect probably would've favoured the Saints)

Hickey could've made it more of a contest too perhaps.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:30 am

morell wrote:Yeah but at the time you wouldn't of wanted to give a holding free kick away either. It's pretty tough to stop an AFL midfielder, moving at pace, from getting on the end of a tap like that when it's all so perfectly executed.

Gray started boundary line side and sprinted to the back side when the ball was in the air and Ryder hit the absolute perfect tap. Was nothing much he could've done other than scrag him and risk putting it into the umps hands (which in retrospect probably would've favoured the Saints)

Hickey could've made it more of a contest too perhaps.

Anything would have favoured them with 17 seconds on the clock.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:45 am

Probably, but had we got a free kick who knows, might've spotted a target sideways and then a quick dart lead with a shot on goal. Maybe a milked 50m. Anything could happen. Then we'd all be on here saying "as if you give away a free kick with 17 seconds to go!"

If I were coach I would prefer to leave it out of the umps hands and not risk that at all. You lose clearances sometimes. It happens. Their structure *after* that to allow Gray to run his full measure and have a shot on goal is where the puzzle lies.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 am

morell wrote:Probably, but had we got a free kick who knows, might've spotted a target sideways and then a quick dart lead with a shot on goal. Maybe a milked 50m. Anything could happen. Then we'd all be on here saying "as if you give away a free kick with 17 seconds to go!"

If I were coach I would prefer to leave it out of the umps hands and not risk that at all. You lose clearances sometimes. It happens. Their structure *after* that to allow Gray to run his full measure and have a shot on goal is where the puzzle lies.

Not really, they had numbers back for the quick kick from the throw in protecting space, this was based on having some faith in the stoppage to not allow an easy out, wasn't the fault of those in the back 50 and I imagine the St's review would be ok with where the bulk of the numbers were defensively but scathing on the ease of the out from the stoppage. This includes nobody protecting the corridor at the stoppage itself, not one Saint was on the defensive side or in the corridor.

Anyway, Ryder... :X
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am

No no agree, it was not the defensive 50's fault at all. I wish i can get a screen grab, there was a St Kilda player, pretty sure it was Roberton, that when the throw in was just about to happen was standing right in the line of where Gray ran. He made the call to go to the back of the contest instead of protecting the space.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:57 am

Booney wrote:Anyway, Ryder... :X
RIP Photobucket
Last edited by morell on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 am

Easy in hindsight, but I agree a free kick for blocking Grays run would have been preferable. Dunstan and Ross were both caught napping as Gray ran to space, space which was open in the corridor of a boundary throw in 60m out from goal with 20 seconds to play.. Inexplicable stoppage defending

Ryders tap was one for the ages, but the fact that space was there for the taking with such ease for Gray is what Richardson would be so flat with..

A free kick at least allows StK to drop back and guard what we assume would be a long high ball into F50, but like McGovern showed yesterday, that can be effective, especially when one C Dixon is lurking.. you'd rather try and defend a high ball with over a dozen blokes at the fall than allow one of the best clearance players and finishers to waltz into goal on the run from 50..

As I said easy in hindsight, but Ryder/Gray again show just how good they can be together..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby morell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 am

Here you go, you can see in the first pic, as the ball was thrown in the circled St Kilda player was in the perfect spot, but he decided to move to the contest. Had he stayed where he was, St Kilda would've been a 99% chance to win IMO.

Which would be the same odds had they given away a free kick probably, but without the additional risk of umps making odd calls.

Ross could've been tighter but this player (who is it?) was the main one at "fault", IMO.
Last edited by morell on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby mots02 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:19 pm

heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

Yep thats the bit that baffled me... how the Saints didnt have someone guarding the inside, defensive spot is mind boggling.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:37 pm

@morell your gifs aren't visible to the rest of us.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Booney wrote:@morell your gifs aren't visible to the rest of us.

Pity his posts are...

;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5477 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL