2017 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Postby MW » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Have a look at what those two guys missed a Brownlow for...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Feenix wrote:I hope Danger gets the most votes in the Brownlow so the AFL is forced to look at the fairest criteria for winning the Brownlow. Hopefully it forces them to look at these tackles too, you should be punished for your actions not the outcomes

Can you imagine the outcry if Dangerfield got suspended for that tackle if Kreuzer wasn't concussed?

You can't do away with outcomes. They are linked to the force of the impact
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Feenix wrote:I hope Danger gets the most votes in the Brownlow so the AFL is forced to look at the fairest criteria for winning the Brownlow. Hopefully it forces them to look at these tackles too, you should be punished for your actions not the outcomes

Can you imagine the outcry if Dangerfield got suspended for that tackle if Kreuzer wasn't concussed?

Rubbish. You're suggesting concussion symptoms in every person would be the same if each person was subjected to the same contact?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Rubbish. You're suggesting concussion symptoms in every person would be the same if each person was subjected to the same contact?

If Cotchin had punched Tom Lynch in the head like he did Lachie Neale in round 8, Cotchin would still be suspended and there's a chance Lynch would still be concussed...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:

What if Kreuzer hadn't been concussed, but instead broke his jaw in the fall and missed a month of footy?

What if Daw had knocked out the Melbourne lad simply through protecting himself in a marking contest?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

How else do you grade impact other than the medical reports like they currently do?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

How else do you grade impact other than the medical reports like they currently do?

Thus the flaw in the system. What might knock me out for a week might only have you off colour for a day.

I think in most instances intent is far more measurable than impact.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Impact is what it is and is backed up by medical reports. When you start arguing intent, you need to become a mind reader i.e. Tex on JJ and the goal post.
MW
Coach

Postby Feenix » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:28 pm

bennymacca wrote:

No they’re not, some peoples bodies are different to others. Danger could have laid that exact same tackle on another Carlton player and they could have got straight up. Its relative to the person, just because the outcomes are different for different people doesn’t make it dangerous. If you’ve played any football before you know when you tackle you want to pin the arms so the player cant release the ball. We are now moving towards having to teach young players not to tackle like that incase they hurt the other player.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Watch Danger hardly poll a vote for the rest of the year now to make sure he doesn't get the most votes. The AFL doing something like that would hardly surprise me
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby MW » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:41 pm

RustyCage wrote:Watch Danger hardly poll a vote for the rest of the year now to make sure he doesn't get the most votes. The AFL doing something like that would hardly surprise me

He probably didn't poll a vote the last two weeks and Dusty most likely 2 x BOG's.
It is conceivable that Danger can lose the Brownlow on merit, not contrived AFL...
MW
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:54 pm

MW wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Watch Danger hardly poll a vote for the rest of the year now to make sure he doesn't get the most votes. The AFL doing something like that would hardly surprise me

He probably didn't poll a vote the last two weeks and Dusty most likely 2 x BOG's.
It is conceivable that Danger can lose the Brownlow on merit, not contrived AFL...

I thinks it's more likely Danger will not win the medal, rather than loose the medal. In this case, possession is not 9/10's of the law!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Feenix wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

No they’re not, some peoples bodies are different to others. Danger could have laid that exact same tackle on another Carlton player and they could have got straight up. Its relative to the person, just because the outcomes are different for different people doesn’t make it dangerous. If you’ve played any football before you know when you tackle you want to pin the arms so the player cant release the ball. We are now moving towards having to teach young players not to tackle like that incase they hurt the other player.

Nothing wrong with pinning the arms in a tackle. You just can't slam the players head into the turf once their arms are pinned.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Oh well. A weeks rest will be good for his body. He'll be ready and firing for the Tigers. One would think Kennedy will out for Sydney so that evens it up. Cats to win this week by 40
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Oh well. A weeks rest will be good for his body. He'll be ready and firing for the Tigers. One would think Kennedy will out for Sydney so that evens it up. Cats to win this week by 40

:shock: Positivity from a Cat's supporter going into a game is indeed refreshing!
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:27 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Oh well. A weeks rest will be good for his body. He'll be ready and firing for the Tigers. One would think Kennedy will out for Sydney so that evens it up. Cats to win this week by 40

:shock: Positivity from a Cat's supporter going into a game is indeed refreshing!

Mighty Tiger will comment soon :lol:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:32 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Mighty Tiger will comment soon :lol:

I already have....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Well the tin foil hats in the bin, I was absolutely convinced that the AFL would have rung Geelong & told them that they were giving him 2 down to 1 to silence the plebs, tell them to appeal & he'd get off. Astounded.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

Well the tin foil hats in the bin, I was absolutely convinced that the AFL would have rung Geelong & told them that they were giving him 2 down to 1 to silence the plebs, tell them to appeal & he'd get off. Astounded.

I thought it would have been perfect theatre.

Give him 2 down to 1, Geelong appeal, appeals tribunal over turn suspension, AFL appeal that decision and lose it after winning the Houli one earlier in the year.

Would have been AFL headlines all week in every paper in the country.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Geelong have a history of just accepting unfair decisions against its players, was never going to hapoen.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL