Not all black and white

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Not all black and white

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am

Ronnie wrote:He was black and white from an early age, even to the point where he couldn't cop playing for Centrals and threw in the towel there during his junior footy days. Interestingly he supports Collingwood in the AFL and struggles with the concept of Port Power. Certainly was an outstanding full forward and a big game player.
He is not alone in struggling to accept the concept of the AFL franchise....plenty of other PAFC legends of era's past have the same issue.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:34 am

heater31 wrote:
Ronnie wrote:He was black and white from an early age, even to the point where he couldn't cop playing for Centrals and threw in the towel there during his junior footy days. Interestingly he supports Collingwood in the AFL and struggles with the concept of Port Power. Certainly was an outstanding full forward and a big game player.
He is not alone in struggling to accept the concept of the AFL franchise....plenty of other PAFC legends of era's past have the same issue.

Pretty mixed bag, in fact.

Fiacchi ( PAFC Board Member ), Ginever, Ebert, Rizonico etc are all right in among the club still, as employees The like of Hodges, Mahoney, Smith, Foster and a few others were once frequent in the bowling club on game day, not as much anymore, from time to time, but not as much post-One Club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Coach Bombay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:48 pm

said he has already lost 4 team mates to suicide. I assume they weren't from the SANFL days?
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:said he has already lost 4 team mates to suicide. I assume they weren't from the SANFL days?

The friends he lost were all SANFL teammates
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:said he has already lost 4 team mates to suicide. I assume they weren't from the SANFL days?

5, yes, all Magpie team mates.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Coach Bombay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:32 pm

Booney wrote:

wow, that's messed up. Things you never hear about. Who were they?
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Booney wrote:

One of them was in the past 6 months another within the last 12 :(
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:Read a few of the excerpts they published on adelaide now. Some of it was very interesting, and i sympathised a lot with his mental health issues.

A few of the later excerpts made him sound like a spoilt brat though. Like he lived being a big fish in a little pond.

Different era mate, he simply didn't buy into boardroom franchises and simply wanted to be a Magpie playing for a club he loved at that loved him back, this is what gripes me about AFL supporters is that they can't see past the bright lights and realise it's not the bees knees to every person on earth

It would've been no different if I could choose to AFL footy or play Centrals I wouldn't hesitate to in my deciscion

Same as if West Ham relegated to division 3, there still my team I won't follow, support or be passionate for another team just coz west ham play in a lower division
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Read a few of the excerpts they published on adelaide now. Some of it was very interesting, and i sympathised a lot with his mental health issues.

A few of the later excerpts made him sound like a spoilt brat though. Like he lived being a big fish in a little pond.

Different era mate, he simply didn't buy into boardroom franchises and simply wanted to be a Magpie playing for a club he loved at that loved him back, this is what gripes me about AFL supporters is that they can't see past the bright lights and realise it's not the bees knees to every person on earth

It would've been no different if I could choose to AFL footy or play Centrals I wouldn't hesitate to in my deciscion

Same as if West Ham relegated to division 3, there still my team I won't follow, support or be passionate for another team just coz west ham play in a lower division

He wasnt a supporter mate, he was a player. He wasnt forced to play for the crows. And if you say you would choose centrals over the AFL you are deadset cooked. Everyone wants to play at the highest level they can, not to mention the obvious monetary benefits. Its the reason hodges would have signed up for the crows too. Obviously he might have been a maggies man through and through and thats fine.

Seems like he couldnt handle the fact that he wasnt the king anymore. Obviously it could be taken out of context given I have only read the excerpts, but it seems like one minute he is saying how good he is, and the next he is saying how much pressure there is and if he failed it was someone elses fault. He played some very good games but when he didnt he seems to blame others (Cornes, Jars, etc)

Seems to be quite bitter about footy in general, which is sad.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... be96febeab
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:18 am

read the second excerpt then

good on him for speaking out. Hopefully he gets himself right for his kids

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 3477200b2d
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:21 am

bennymacca wrote:And if you say you would choose centrals over the AFL you are deadset cooked.

Honestly, how can you say that? Next thing you'll be telling whufc what his favourite brand of cereal is.

bennymacca wrote:Everyone wants to play at the highest level they can, not to mention the obvious monetary benefits.

Barrie Robran and Garry McIntosh say hello.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:18 am

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:

He wasnt a supporter mate, he was a player. He wasnt forced to play for the crows. And if you say you would choose centrals over the AFL you are deadset cooked. Everyone wants to play at the highest level they can, not to mention the obvious monetary benefits. Its the reason hodges would have signed up for the crows too. Obviously he might have been a maggies man through and through and thats fine.

Seems like he couldnt handle the fact that he wasnt the king anymore. Obviously it could be taken out of context given I have only read the excerpts, but it seems like one minute he is saying how good he is, and the next he is saying how much pressure there is and if he failed it was someone elses fault. He played some very good games but when he didnt he seems to blame others (Cornes, Jars, etc)

Mate I had two dreams as a kid, play for Centrals and West Ham, what division they were in was irrrelevant I just wanted to play to the u dogs chanting and walk out to bubbles

From what I understand Hodges came from a very strong Port supporting family and grew up well before the Crows were a business marketing plan
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:50 am

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:01 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:

Mate I had two dreams as a kid, play for Centrals and West Ham, what division they were in was irrrelevant I just wanted to play to the u dogs chanting and walk out to bubbles

From what I understand Hodges came from a very strong Port supporting family and grew up well before the Crows were a business marketing plan

I was wondering how long this would take to become a Port v Crows topic. Took a lot longer than I expected TBH...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Macca19 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:32 am

Magellan wrote:Getting away from the whinge for a tick, IIRC Hodges started out in the Port league side as a reasonably average half back flanker under Ebert's last year. Does anyone know what prompted him to get the chance to play at full-forward? Stroke of genius by Cahill (or whoever it may've been) to give him the opportunity.

He had played on a forward flank for the first 5 games of 1988. Both Russell Johnston and Craig Lum were out injured for Round 6 against West Adelaide, which forced David Hynes into the ruck. Cahill rejigged the forward line and moved Smith to CHF and Hodges to FF. He kicked 7 that day, then 8 the next week against South Adelaide and the rest is history!
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:56 am

MW wrote: I was wondering how long this would take to become a Port v Crows topic. Took a lot longer than I expected TBH...

I know, it's strange that someone would address a feature of the book.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am

Macca19 wrote:
Magellan wrote:Getting away from the whinge for a tick, IIRC Hodges started out in the Port league side as a reasonably average half back flanker under Ebert's last year. Does anyone know what prompted him to get the chance to play at full-forward? Stroke of genius by Cahill (or whoever it may've been) to give him the opportunity.

He had played on a forward flank for the first 5 games of 1988. Both Russell Johnston and Craig Lum were out injured for Round 6 against West Adelaide, which forced David Hynes into the ruck. Cahill rejigged the forward line and moved Smith to CHF and Hodges to FF. He kicked 7 that day, then 8 the next week against South Adelaide and the rest is history!

Craig Lum! Now there's a name I recall from the 80s. I presume those moves by Cahill put an end to his career?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:14 am

Magellan wrote:
Macca19 wrote:

Craig Lum! Now there's a name I recall from the 80s. I presume those moves by Cahill put an end to his career?

Lum played a very good season in '86, he won the then Fos Williams Memorial Trophy for Most Dedicated League Player at the club. He finished up at the end of '89 and went on to be named in Port Districts Greatest 25 of the 25 years from 79-03.

Johnston was the 1st choice ruckman and Lum struggled to get a spot in the league side. He played 47 games from his debut 84 to 89 and from memory was very good in the '83 reserves GF.

Speaking of, how's this Port reserves side ( 83 GF )

F: Andy Porplycia, Chris Natt, Ross Agius
HF: Roger Delaney, Danny Hughes, Des Drogemuller
C: Michael Errey, Craig Bradley, Greg Boyd
HB: Len Warren. Martin Leslie, Brenton Owens
B: Darren Smith, Tony Dutch, Ivan Eckerman
R: David Baker, Alan Gill, Arlen Kennedy
Int: Craig Lum, David O'Donovan
Emergency: Wayne Mahney
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 am

What was Bradley doing playing reserves in 1983? He was an All-Australian that year.
Magellan
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:24 am

Magellan wrote:What was Bradley doing playing reserves in 1983? He was an All-Australian that year.

Standard 'Stack the Bs for the flag" move.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum