Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Pag » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:40 pm

morell wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
morell wrote:
Front & Centre wrote:no one of Reynella's 2 c grade teams could play in that division
My mistake I didn't see Reynella in Div1 too.

I think the idea has merit but needs some tweaking. The SFL cannot maintain the status quo, that much is for certain. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results isn't going to cut it.

There is no Northern Football League. I see no reason for a Southern Football League. With new infrastructure and the urban sprawl, there isn't even a geographical need anymore. Would ultimately think the entire comp could be merged in the with the AdFL over time.
Is the AdFL going to provide a full day of football, including juniors? - no

That is why there is still a reason, and why there is still a Hills FL (Eastern).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Seems like a relatively minor issue that would be relatively easily solved compared to the overall concept of you know, not having a viable competition at all.

As an aside, we negotiated to have Friday night home games with our junior comp this year. I am sure something could be worked out.

If Marion join the C9AFL, aren't you down to 10 A grade clubs? Perfect draw, no byes. Obviously Lonsdale would still be a bit off the pace but I'm sure would/could improve over time. Isn't that a more logical solution that's when been mooted?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby godra » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Looking at the recent article in Advertiser/Guardian Messenger, Marion indicated they would still prefer to be in the SFL. Judging by their past decisions, it's no certainty that common sense will prevail and they'll join the C9AFL.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:10 pm

I think that's the best solution Pag and I would have thought would be the preference of the majority of clubs rather than have their C grades prop up a "quasi" Division 2 concept. The SFL proposal is a case of trying to support the weakest links rather than reinforcing the strongest links.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby morell » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Pag wrote:If Marion join the C9AFL, aren't you down to 10 A grade clubs? Perfect draw, no byes. Obviously Lonsdale would still be a bit off the pace but I'm sure would/could improve over time. Isn't that a more logical solution that's when been mooted?
What happens to Hackham?
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Afterthesiren » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Happy Valley and Flagstaff Hill should make contact with the Hills Football League. Both clubs would fit into this strong competition very well. There is certainly room with two divisions of 9 clubs. Future there is much brighter.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Front & Centre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:Happy Valley and Flagstaff Hill should make contact with the Hills Football League. Both clubs would fit into this strong competition very well. There is certainly room with two divisions of 9 clubs. Future there is much brighter.

Don't the hills league only offer 4 teams on a Saturday? HV and FH both have 5 Saturday teams
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby cracka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Front & Centre wrote:
Afterthesiren wrote:Happy Valley and Flagstaff Hill should make contact with the Hills Football League. Both clubs would fit into this strong competition very well. There is certainly room with two divisions of 9 clubs. Future there is much brighter.

Don't the hills league only offer 4 teams on a Saturday? HV and FH both have 5 Saturday teams

5 Saturday teams in the HFL. A, B, U17.5, U15 & U13
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 pm

In what way is it much brighter, they have had more than their fair share of issues? Both clubs I am sure would be excited to travel to Balhannah, Mount Barker, etc
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Afterthesiren » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm

In what way is it much brighter, they have had more than their fair share of issues? Both clubs I am sure would be excited to travel to Balhannah, Mount Barker, etc

It has two divisions for a start. And I think travelling through the Hills with hardly any traffic lights would be better than the alternative... travelling to Salisbury and Elizabeth in the SAAFL when the SFL folds.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby vics01 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 pm

vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 pm

30 mins to Balhannah, 35 to Mt Barker, hardly long drives for country footy...both cricket clubs play up there now.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:58 pm

From the Lonsdale Facebook page:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (44.45 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
Last edited by Look Good In Leather on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Capture.JPG

They should stay in the SFL, coz they can at least spell it correctly. :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Thumbs Up » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 am

MatteeG wrote:Also be awkward if one of the Div 1 'third' sides qualified for promotion...

Yes it would be if Reynella C Grade won the grand final and was promoted. Reynella A Grade (Their 1st ranked team) could play Reynella A Grade (really the C Grade -their 3rd ranked team) with a curtain raiser from their B Grade (their 2nd ranked team) The 2.30 game should be a doozy. At least Reynella could promote an alternative strip. What a JOKE.
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Postby Animus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 am

Surely any successful C grade teams would have the option to stay in Div 2, rather than forced promotion.
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

Come on guys, be sensible. If the proposed model goes ahead (which I doubt anyway). Promotion would not be automatic. If a C grade team won the flag there would be no change. If a Marion or OSBL won the flag they would have to be flogging their opposition all year to be granted promotion. Let's hope certain clubs make the right decision. A club like Mitchell Park made a tough call in the late 90's and they have battled away in the lower AdFL Divs. But they've won a couple of flags and also worked through some tough years but they still exist and have carried on their proud history. History doesn't necessarily judge what level you play at.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby morell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Down the Hill wrote:A club like Mitchell Park made a tough call in the late 90's and they have battled away in the lower AdFL Divs. But they've won a couple of flags and also worked through some tough years but they still exist and have carried on their proud history. History doesn't necessarily judge what level you play at.

We're still around.

If we stayed in the SFL, I doubt we would be.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby MatteeG » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Come on guys, be sensible. If the proposed model goes ahead (which I doubt anyway). Promotion would not be automatic. If a C grade team won the flag there would be no change. If a Marion or OSBL won the flag they would have to be flogging their opposition all year to be granted promotion. Let's hope certain clubs make the right decision. A club like Mitchell Park made a tough call in the late 90's and they have battled away in the lower AdFL Divs. But they've won a couple of flags and also worked through some tough years but they still exist and have carried on their proud history. History doesn't necessarily judge what level you play at.

May have been a bit tongue in cheek DTH. Do you automatically lose a sense of humour when you move to Ammos? 8)
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:54 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Come on guys, be sensible. If the proposed model goes ahead (which I doubt anyway). Promotion would not be automatic. If a C grade team won the flag there would be no change. If a Marion or OSBL won the flag they would have to be flogging their opposition all year to be granted promotion. Let's hope certain clubs make the right decision. A club like Mitchell Park made a tough call in the late 90's and they have battled away in the lower AdFL Divs. But they've won a couple of flags and also worked through some tough years but they still exist and have carried on their proud history. History doesn't necessarily judge what level you play at.

May have been a bit tongue in cheek DTH. Do you automatically lose a sense of humour when you move to Ammos? 8)

its all those trips north of Grand Junction Road :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

its all those trips north of Grand Junction Road :lol:

Without getting out the old UBD, wouldn't the distances to the furtherest Hills club be less than an Houghton (Div 6) and Tea Tree Gully (Div 7)?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL