The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby jo172 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 am

Dutchy wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Interesting one this, a few kids I coach are involved in this on top of their SANFL development, can only help them so well done Port, Crows do nothing for their zoned clubs....although I have heard Norwood are refusing to send any of their kids to Port :roll:

Crows have the Andrew Mcleod Academy program for the same population (indiginous and disadvantaged backgrounds) Couple of Glenelg players are involved in it as Glenelg is aligned to the Crows.

Yet nothing for non-indiginous zoned players.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/next-generation-academy

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-05-04/academy-expands-to-mid-north-

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-03-07/academy-to-cross-new-bridge

That's just patently untrue
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am

Good if you live in Murray Bridge I guess
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:19 am

Reality hit me today, I've been to two games this year living in the inner western suburbs. Only 10 years ago I'd go to every game, even went to trial games interstate and never missed a game despite living 45 minutes away from Prospect. Only 3 years ago I was a part of the President's Group which cost me thousands of dollars a year. The two games I've been to this year are the Good Friday game as there was nothing else to do and the game at Noarlunga to catch up with my daughter who is a physio there.
This is what having teams in a comp play under different rules has done for me, have gone from a fanatic who went above and beyond the cause to someone who no longer cares.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:17 am

Wedgie wrote:Reality hit me today, I've been to two games this year living in the inner western suburbs. Only 10 years ago I'd go to every game, even went to trial games interstate and never missed a game despite living 45 minutes away from Prospect. Only 3 years ago I was a part of the President's Group which cost me thousands of dollars a year. The two games I've been to this year are the Good Friday game as there was nothing else to do and the game at Noarlunga to catch up with my daughter who is a physio there.
This is what having teams in a comp play under different rules has done for me, have gone from a fanatic who went above and beyond the cause to someone who no longer cares.

Yep pretty much same for me

Would hate to think how much money I put over the bars at SANFL in the late 90's and early 2000. Didnt miss any more than a couple of games home or away from late 1999 to 2014 that would be about 300 games roughly plus finals. At bare minimum I was spending $50 a game over the bar. That's about $15000 in bar sales before food (we lunches most weeks) before tickets and before bringing mates along who wouldn't not have normally came.

Lol this made me of think of a marketing idea now the membership tickets are scanned at grounds. Why can't clubs celebrate their supporters 50, 100, 200, 500 game visit like they celebrate a players milestone game lol
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby GMcG » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 am

yep, not long ago I'd host a table of 10 drunken Rooster yobbos at today's President's Luncheon....................now I can't get one taker. :(
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby MW » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:11 am

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Reality hit me today, I've been to two games this year living in the inner western suburbs. Only 10 years ago I'd go to every game, even went to trial games interstate and never missed a game despite living 45 minutes away from Prospect. Only 3 years ago I was a part of the President's Group which cost me thousands of dollars a year. The two games I've been to this year are the Good Friday game as there was nothing else to do and the game at Noarlunga to catch up with my daughter who is a physio there.

Would hate to think how much money I put over the bars at SANFL in the late 90's and early 2000. Didnt miss any more than a couple of games home or away from late 1999 to 2014 that would be about 300 games roughly plus finals. At bare minimum I was spending $50 a game over the bar. That's about $15000 in bar sales before food (we lunches most weeks) before tickets and before bringing mates along who wouldn't not have normally came.

Lol this made me of think of a marketing idea now the membership tickets are scanned at grounds. Why can't clubs celebrate their supporters 50, 100, 200, 500 game visit like they celebrate a players milestone game lol

I'm sure your clubs would appreciate the support
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:53 am

whufc wrote:

Not quite celebrating supporter attendances (interesting idea though, whufc), but I note that today Centrals are offering all who rock up a chance to win $2000 if the crowd exceeds 2,300 people. If there's less than that then $200 is on offer.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby whufc » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:54 am

MW wrote:
whufc wrote:

Found other things to do and better ways to spend money
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Magellan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 am

MW wrote:
whufc wrote:

Whilst I can only speak for myself and my club, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would've appreciated the club at least bothering to consult and hear the concerns of its members on such a critical issue of the introduction of the AFL teams. Understandable that people will stop investing in an organisation when it becomes clear it doesn't care about what supporters think, takes its membership for granted, or doesn't value previous efforts in supporting it.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 am

MW wrote:
whufc wrote:

That's what happens when clubs take members for granted and treat their core clients with disdain.
The amount the Ravens pay a year wouldn't anywhere near cover the lost revenue from disenfranchised members not attending anymore
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:20 am

Some people simply don't (and never will) get it.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Pseudo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 am

Magellan wrote:Whilst I can only speak for myself and my club, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would've appreciated the club at least bothering to consult and hear the concerns of its members on such a critical issue of the introduction of the AFL teams. Understandable that people will stop investing in an organisation when it becomes clear it doesn't care about what supporters think, takes its membership for granted, or doesn't value previous efforts in supporting it.

^ in a nutshell. Until such time as the management of my (former) club starts running it as a means unto itself - rather than looking after its cronies and toadying to certain external parties - then the club can jam its membership up its fundament. I'll continue to go to occasional games as a casual supporter.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby MW » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Spargo wrote:Some people simply don't (and never will) get it.

Unfortunately some have also used it as an excuse to give up
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:37 pm

MW wrote:

So why persevere in a relationship where your input and efforts aren't valued? You call it 'giving up', but giving up on what exactly? Someone that has made it quite clear that it's no longer interested in what you, as a shareholder and part-owner of the club, have to say in important matters. That's pretty significant.

A sensible person wouldn't stand for such neglect in a business relationship or an intimate relationship. Pulling the pin in those cases is not giving up. The phrase 'breaking up' or 'moving on' is probably closer to the truth. And such decisions are very difficult to make.
Magellan
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Magellan wrote:
whufc wrote:

Not quite celebrating supporter attendances (interesting idea though, whufc), but I note that today Centrals are offering all who rock up a chance to win $2000 if the crowd exceeds 2,300 people. If there's less than that then $200 is on offer.

That is a different idea @whufc and I like it. Make the fans truly feel part of the club.
Not a bad incentive from the Doggies.
Good to see they are trying something.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Their $2000 is very safe.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:That is a different idea @whufc and I like it. Make the fans truly feel part of the club.

bringing up anything to do with the crows in this thread is probably poison, but they print the length of time you have been a member on your membership card. I think thats a small but significant thing and would help them with membership retention
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:That is a different idea @whufc and I like it. Make the fans truly feel part of the club.

bringing up anything to do with the crows in this thread is probably poison, but they print the length of time you have been a member on your membership card. I think thats a small but significant thing and would help them with membership retention
Some AFL clubs put the years of membership on their scarves. Perhaps for the long term ones. Eg 10yrs etc

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:29 pm

It'd interest me about as much as putting the size of my dick on my membership.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:38 pm

MW wrote:

Why would so many people give up on something they love & has been such an important part of their lives?
Calling it an excuse is insulting & so far off the mark it's not funny.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL