HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby Raise the Bar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Think I stated that the SFL was in real trouble and it's starting to snowball.
Flaggies and Happy Valley both play cricket in the Hills and know there is a possible collapse of the SFL imminent.
What a great thing to happen to pick up two strong clubs with strong juniors and financial stability. I know Valleys are going rough at the moment
but that will change.
I'll also throw in a whisper that another club from SFL is inquiring about a div 2 spot. Lets just say the lure of the amateurs may not be all it's cracked up to be in the lower divisions.
Raise the Bar
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:35 pm

Raise the Bar wrote:Think I stated that the SFL was in real trouble and it's starting to snowball.
Flaggies and Happy Valley both play cricket in the Hills and know there is a possible collapse of the SFL imminent.
What a great thing to happen to pick up two strong clubs with strong juniors and financial stability. I know Valleys are going rough at the moment
but that will change.
I'll also throw in a whisper that another club from SFL is inquiring about a div 2 spot. Lets just say the lure of the amateurs may not be all it's cracked up to be in the lower divisions.

Not sure I agree that this is necessarily a "great thing" for the HFL, clubs, players and parents. Sure, they might be strong clubs, but they are not part of the Adelaide Hills. Surely the HFL should be for hills-based clubs ?

Will be a nice early start for the Kersbrook, Gumeracha or Birdwood parents to get to an ex SFL club for the mini-colts game !

Regardless, it ultimately will be decided by a vote of the 19 member clubs to determine who is accepted into the comp.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:45 pm

5 mins from Blackwood, 10 mins from Kangies and Ironbank...hardly big distances for country footy
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Off The Wall » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
Raise the Bar wrote:Think I stated that the SFL was in real trouble and it's starting to snowball.
but that will change.

Not sure I agree that this is necessarily a "great thing" for the HFL, clubs, players and parents. Sure, they might be strong clubs, but they are not part of the Adelaide Hills. Surely the HFL should be for hills-based clubs ?

Will be a nice early start for the Kersbrook, Gumeracha or Birdwood parents to get to an ex SFL club for the mini-colts game !

Regardless, it ultimately will be decided by a vote of the 19 member clubs to determine who is accepted into the comp.

Kersbrook to Kangies is an hour, for HV and Flagstaff its an extra 5 -10 mins (Google Maps)

Its a shit load better than when Sedan Cambrai joined. Kangies to there was an hour and a half, plus didnt offer a full compliment of juniors and seniors were very weak.
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Keefy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:56 pm

but that will change.

Only one of those clubs presently has a full compliment of juniors and that's Birdwood.
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 pm

rock wrote:Southern Football League in crisis. Check out their facebook page, looks like they are trying to salvage what is left but too little too late I think. Might be some truth to those rumours about Flagstaff Hill and Happy Valley making a move to the HFL. Interesting reading on the SFL fb page especially some of the comments.

Crisis? hardly.

Got a very good 9 team competition with a couple of outliers. Effectively what you would have if you took the Hills Div 1 competition and added Macclesfield and Kangarilla.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby rock » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
rock wrote:Southern Football League in crisis. Check out their facebook page, looks like they are trying to salvage what is left but too little too late I think. Might be some truth to those rumours about Flagstaff Hill and Happy Valley making a move to the HFL. Interesting reading on the SFL fb page especially some of the comments.

Crisis? hardly.

Got a very good 9 team competition with a couple of outliers. Effectively what you would have if you took the Hills Div 1 competition and added Macclesfield and Kangarilla.

Crisis... Yes. The SFL has 2 clubs highly likely leaving at seasons end and another 4 clubs rumoured to be talking to neighbouring leagues. If that happens and don't discount it, the SFL would be left with a 5 club competition. I guess if you don't consider that a crisis your head must be well and truly buried in the sand.
rock
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:34 am

Off The Wall wrote:
but that will change.

Kersbrook to Kangies is an hour, for HV and Flagstaff its an extra 5 -10 mins (Google Maps)

Its a shit load better than when Sedan Cambrai joined. Kangies to there was an hour and a half, plus didnt offer a full compliment of juniors and seniors were very weak.

Just cant see the point in having a regional competition where you let clubs from outside the region participate. The SFL clubs are not part of the Adelaide Hills.

If you want to build an argument on proximity, then we might as well admit clubs like glenunga, kenilworth, marion, edwardstown, etc - after all, they're only 15 minutes down the hill as well.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby rock » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:14 am

Off The Wall wrote:
but that will change.

Just cant see the point in having a regional competition where you let clubs from outside the region participate. The SFL clubs are not part of the Adelaide Hills.

If you want to build an argument on proximity, then we might as well admit clubs like glenunga, kenilworth, marion, edwardstown, etc - after all, they're only 15 minutes down the hill as well.

Flagstaff Hill and Happy Valley are suburbs which are considered to be in Adelaide's foot hills. Both cricket clubs play in the Hills League. Ironbank and Blackwood sit side by side to these suburbs. I hardly think Marion and Edwardstown sit in the same category.
rock
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Happy Valley used to play in the old Hills Central Association back in the 50's and 60's so their is a precedent.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby BurntToast » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Off The Wall wrote:
but that will change.

By that logic, Blackwood shouldnt be in the hills competition either. Having these two clubs join the league is a win-win for everybody. Both clubs are strong on and off field and with them coming into fold would add great depth and eveness to both divisons. The HFL needs to embrace change to contiune being a strong competition.
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:41 pm

BurntToast wrote: By that logic, Blackwood shouldnt be in the hills competition either

no argument there ...... shouldn't let one bad decision justify another.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby BurntToast » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:02 pm

BurntToast wrote: By that logic, Blackwood shouldnt be in the hills competition either

Well I am glad minds like yours are at club board level and not league level. Dinosaur views are what can destroy a league; SFL for example.

Anyway, great game Echunga today. Our boys had to work hard for the win. Anyone from Echunga able to enlighten me about some whispers I heard today? - I hear the Echunga B grade coach has been sacked and from what I have heard this may lure back a number of players. Whats the story there?
BurntToast

Postby oldman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 am

BurntToast wrote:

Well I am glad minds like yours are at club board level and not league level. Dinosaur views are what can destroy a league; SFL for example.

Anyway, great game Echunga today. Our boys had to work hard for the win. Anyone from Echunga able to enlighten me about some whispers I heard today? - I hear the Echunga B grade coach has been sacked and from what I have heard this may lure back a number of players. Whats the story there?

Surely this is incorrect he was a brilliant coach, both him and their A grade coach this year have performed to expectations. I mean there recent records before coming together this year was to a vey high standard.......NOT. Look into it deeper people and you will find the said senior coach has only ever been successful when able to spend $$$$$$ he can't coach he can move magnets that are talented players tho. It may also be the case that his cheque book backer is in serious trouble in the business game.

Maybe the recruiting strategy at Echunga needs looking at the last 2 recruiting drives have been less than desirable in the way in which it's been financed.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 63c7cfc410
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby teamdefense2017 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:17 pm

Cheque book recruiting does not work.
Despite evidence of this over and over, clubs still attempt to do it.

Certainly recruiting is an important part of the process of creating a strong team, and club.
But unless it is supported by strong culture it surely is a recipe for failure!
teamdefense2017

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby kikittome » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Echunga dont believe in culture or cultivation of juniors, from what Ive been told. Im told they had the right bloke last year but cheque book recruiting is all they can do.

You get what you deserve I suppose

Different story in the S.E where we want to cultivate juniors but population prevents it sometimes.

On another note, who will make up the final five? Still a 3 way battle to make up 4th and 5th.
kikittome
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Echungas junior numbers are quite good I thought. Their U17's are very competitive when they've got their full line up.
How many of their senior players are not locals
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby BurntToast » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 pm

oldman wrote:
BurntToast wrote:

Surely this is incorrect he was a brilliant coach, both him and their A grade coach this year have performed to expectations. I mean there recent records before coming together this year was to a vey high standard.......NOT. Look into it deeper people and you will find the said senior coach has only ever been successful when able to spend $$$$$$ he can't coach he can move magnets that are talented players tho. It may also be the case that his cheque book backer is in serious trouble in the business game.

Maybe the recruiting strategy at Echunga needs looking at the last 2 recruiting drives have been less than desirable in the way in which it's been financed.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 63c7cfc410

I some how very much doubt that Echunga are paying B grade players, in fact it appears they're paying only 3 or 4 players at the club and thats obviously only at A grade level. Unless you know the demons late B grade coach, I think its the opposite to brillant. My mail tells me he had a significant detriment to the club in a negative aspect. Players walking and many disgruntled doesn't boast confidence.
BurntToast

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 pm

I can guarantee no Echunga B graders get paid. They pay subs to play.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Who is covering the B grade now?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times