Round 19, predictions, live scores, shit canning & results.

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 19, predictions, live scores, shit canning & resul

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:
Booney wrote:
morell wrote:
Booney wrote:By your own admission you don't watch the Magpies, perhaps do yourself and those who read your posts on here a favor. Get out there and watch a match and then tell me who deserves to come up into the AFL ranks, if not, your opinion isn't an educated one IMO. It's one built on half a picture and that's not sufficient enough to make judgement calls on. Not in my view.
We wouldn't know, because half the players that have played well in the magpies still don't get a call up. There are plenty of people that do go to Magpies games that very much agree with my viewpoint - you also don't need to go to Mars to know it's red.

It's been proven countless times how form in one doesn't always correlate to form in the other. There have been numerous times where Hinkley could have brought in player x or player y after a solid week or two and he chose to back the status quo. Some players have the skill set to dominate at SANFL level but have no upside to improve at AFL level. Some players are the exact opposite, they will lift and play at whatever level they're playing at.

Howard should have been played.
Eddy should have been played.
Neade should never of been played.
Frampton should have been played.
Pittard should have never been bought back in.
Houston should never have been dropped (x2).
Austin should never of been played.

These examples continue on for days.

There have been structural, selection, cultural and mental issues at Port all season. Many posters have tried to explain this to you and others but have routinely been told that all is well. It's not. Change is needed - Hinkley, Nicks and Voss out to start.

"Howard should have been played" - Where would you have played him?

I am sorry Morrell, but you and all the other comments i have read online are just way off. Everyone was over the moon when Monfries was selected on Friday, now everyone is slamming Hinkley for picking him. Yesterday, another tall would have made no difference what so ever. It was a wet day, we didn't need another tall. The reason why Dixon was outnumbered was more because we couldn't win the ball around the ground and had to just bang it forward to with hold some pressure. Pittard was just about best on last week, yet he should never have come back in?? :roll: :roll: :roll:

The reason Young and these other guys keep getting re-cycled and are in and out of the team is they go back to the Maggies and dominate. What is Hinkley meant to do? Pick a kid that is getting 15-20 touches over someone collecting 30 just because he is a kid? We are sitting in the 8, we have to be picking 22 blokes that are performing. Impey will have to drop out this week and young will as well. But if they go back to the maggies and collect 30 touches for the next couple of weeks and dominate, how do you not pick them over someone else? I still go with the fact that we don't need another tall. Yesterday i thought we went into the game with the right balance with Trengove going back and having a smaller forward line due to the conditions. Our forward line couldn't make an impact as our midfield was terrible and we just got absolutely hammered in the middle. Felt sorry for Charlie yesterday as i thought he played well when he had the chance. Don't know what happened in the last quarter as i left and didn't pay too much attention after quarter time so happy to be proven wrong about our structure yesterday but from what i watched, that wasn't the issue

On the game plan, AFC's 7 recognised defenders had 36 marks between them. On a wet slippery night, not a whole lot of those were switch across the ground type marks. So you could basically say, that structurally 20+ times you broke down on at least creating a contest FWD of centre and gaining field position. That’s not even allowing for the drop marks but ability to clear from defence due to numbers. Hinkley didn’t appear to change anything to try and get that contest or field position.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:Crows need a big scalp interstate, they have failed in Geelong and have played ordinary at the MCG this year.

whilst this may be true, geelong was the only time we have played half decent opposition interstate, and its hardly a knock to lose down there

Geelong are 0 wins 1 draw and 2 losses interstate against half decent teams
Richmond are 1-2
GWS are 2-1-2 (and also lost to carlton)
Sydney are 4-3

Cant say there are really any teams that have a strong record interstate against the best teams. Comp is too even for that
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:49 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:I am sorry Morrell, but you and all the other comments i have read online are just way off. Everyone was over the moon when Monfries was selected on Friday, now everyone is slamming Hinkley for picking him.
I would've preferred Monfries come in earlier in the year. He was horribly out of touch - not exactly his fault though.

bertiebeatle wrote:Yesterday, another tall would have made no difference what so ever. It was a wet day, we didn't need another tall. The reason why Dixon was outnumbered was more because we couldn't win the ball around the ground and had to just bang it forward to with hold some pressure.
Our midfield was smashed, no doubt. But its a system of not having anything to kick to as well.

bertiebeatle wrote:Pittard was just about best on last week, yet he should never have come back in?? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Correct. He spuds it up under a modicum of pressure. Good games against mediocre sides only to fold when the heat is on ought not to cut it anymore.

bertiebeatle wrote:The reason Young and these other guys keep getting re-cycled and are in and out of the team is they go back to the Maggies and dominate. What is Hinkley meant to do? Pick a kid that is getting 15-20 touches over someone collecting 30 just because he is a kid?
If they fit into the structure better, and make the side better - yes.

bertiebeatle wrote:We are sitting in the 8, we have to be picking 22 blokes that are performing. Impey will have to drop out this week and young will as well. But if they go back to the maggies and collect 30 touches for the next couple of weeks and dominate, how do you not pick them over someone else?
Quite easily. Draw a depth chart.

bertiebeatle wrote:I still go with the fact that we don't need another tall. Yesterday i thought we went into the game with the right balance with Trengove going back and having a smaller forward line due to the conditions. Our forward line couldn't make an impact as our midfield was terrible and we just got absolutely hammered in the middle. Felt sorry for Charlie yesterday as i thought he played well when he had the chance. Don't know what happened in the last quarter as i left and didn't pay too much attention after quarter time so happy to be proven wrong about our structure yesterday but from what i watched, that wasn't the issue
It was absolutely the issue. With Adelaide's excellent intercept marking back line, we needed another marking target to spread them out.

Only having Dixon as a marking threat meant Lever, Kelly and Co were able to read the play more than worry about their opponent and instead focus on rebounding and stopping Dixon.

Just one more would've been perf.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 pm

morell wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:I am sorry Morrell, but you and all the other comments i have read online are just way off. Everyone was over the moon when Monfries was selected on Friday, now everyone is slamming Hinkley for picking him.
I would've preferred Monfries come in earlier in the year. He was horribly out of touch - not exactly his fault though.

bertiebeatle wrote:Yesterday, another tall would have made no difference what so ever. It was a wet day, we didn't need another tall. The reason why Dixon was outnumbered was more because we couldn't win the ball around the ground and had to just bang it forward to with hold some pressure.
Our midfield was smashed, no doubt. But its a system of not having anything to kick to as well.

bertiebeatle wrote:Pittard was just about best on last week, yet he should never have come back in?? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Correct. He spuds it up under a modicum of pressure. Good games against mediocre sides only to fold when the heat is on ought not to cut it anymore.

bertiebeatle wrote:The reason Young and these other guys keep getting re-cycled and are in and out of the team is they go back to the Maggies and dominate. What is Hinkley meant to do? Pick a kid that is getting 15-20 touches over someone collecting 30 just because he is a kid?
If they fit into the structure better, and make the side better - yes.

bertiebeatle wrote:We are sitting in the 8, we have to be picking 22 blokes that are performing. Impey will have to drop out this week and young will as well. But if they go back to the maggies and collect 30 touches for the next couple of weeks and dominate, how do you not pick them over someone else?
Quite easily. Draw a depth chart.

bertiebeatle wrote:I still go with the fact that we don't need another tall. Yesterday i thought we went into the game with the right balance with Trengove going back and having a smaller forward line due to the conditions. Our forward line couldn't make an impact as our midfield was terrible and we just got absolutely hammered in the middle. Felt sorry for Charlie yesterday as i thought he played well when he had the chance. Don't know what happened in the last quarter as i left and didn't pay too much attention after quarter time so happy to be proven wrong about our structure yesterday but from what i watched, that wasn't the issue
It was absolutely the issue. With Adelaide's excellent intercept marking back line, we needed another marking target to spread them out.

Only having Dixon as a marking threat meant Lever, Kelly and Co were able to read the play more than worry about their opponent and instead focus on rebounding and stopping Dixon.

Just one more would've been perf.

Like i said, i didn't watch a heap of the game as we weren't competitive so if that is why we broke down, fair enough. I probably didn't watch enough to warrant an analaysis on our structure and game plan for yesterday. I just thought we were rushed coming out defense due to Adelaide's pressure and their dominance on the game and don't want to pick another key position player just for that reason alone or for the sake of it.
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby morell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Adelaide were great as well, no doubt. But a decent structure would've seen us be much more competitive. Enough to win? Probably not as Adelaide were too good, but hey, football is a funny game...

At a minimum it would have exposed another young player to a cutthroat game and given him that experience for next time.

Instead we got example #46 of why Young will never be a good AFL player and example #72 of why Sam Gray will never be a good AFL player and example #39 of why Impey will never be a good AFL player.

Depth players, sure, and keep on the list for that reason. But when we have 1 injury, they shouldn't be getting a game in a decently structured forward line.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Blah blah enough has been made of this discussion.

All I know is the best Port have looked since 2014 was Round 1 in Sydney, this year. I was there.

We had Trengove, Eddy and Dixon all play forward. On a small ground no less.
morell
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Crows need a big scalp interstate, they have failed in Geelong and have played ordinary at the MCG this year.

whilst this may be true, geelong was the only time we have played half decent opposition interstate, and its hardly a knock to lose down there

Geelong are 0 wins 1 draw and 2 losses interstate against half decent teams
Richmond are 1-2
GWS are 2-1-2 (and also lost to carlton)
Sydney are 4-3

Cant say there are really any teams that have a strong record interstate against the best teams. Comp is too even for that

Even though we are well out of the finals, the 8, and any team lower that 5th is crap. Hawthorn have beaten both Adel in Adel, & Syd in Syd..... on the flip side we have lost to the Suns @ the G..... Our road form is ok, our home form is variable. By the same token you can only beat whoever you play, where it is fixtured. Open final series coming up. Intriguing!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Yeah didn't mention hawthorn because they are pretty much out of it now but they also have a good record away. Their second half of the season would easily have them in the eight, they have just started from too far back
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:13 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yeah didn't mention hawthorn because they are pretty much out of it now but they also have a good record away. Their second half of the season would easily have them in the eight, they have just started from too far back

Hawthorn are very much out of it. Yesterdays performance was a throw back to the way the season started for us. Everything to play for, but Richmond were to good for us. Still some signs that the re-build is on, and hopefully we can be in contention again soon. 2108 will be too soon I reckon... maybe 2019. Be good to get a few players back, as well.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Corona Man wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Yeah didn't mention hawthorn because they are pretty much out of it now but they also have a good record away. Their second half of the season would easily have them in the eight, they have just started from too far back

Hawthorn are very much out of it. Yesterdays performance was a throw back to the way the season started for us. Everything to play for, but Richmond were to good for us. Still some signs that the re-build is on, and hopefully we can be in contention again soon. 2108 will be too soon I reckon... maybe 2019. Be good to get a few players back, as well.

You sound like a St Kilda supporter with that level of optimism ;)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:26 pm

saintal wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

You sound like a St Kilda supporter with that level of optimism ;)

1966 - til now.... take my hat off to your mob, now that's optimism!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Corona Man wrote:

I agree. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Corona Man wrote:

By 2019 a third of the list will be retired
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Feenix » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:18 pm

This week's MRP results

Brodie Grundy and Tom Hawkins can both accept two-week bans. Shane Mumford, Mitch Duncan and Zach Merrett can accept one-week bans.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby mots02 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:20 pm

Feenix wrote:This week's MRP results

Brodie Grundy and Tom Hawkins can both accept two-week bans. Shane Mumford, Mitch Duncan and Zach Merrett can accept one-week bans.

Geelong... ouch
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Hawkins = dumb/slow learner.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby mots02 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Booney wrote:Hawkins = dumb/slow learner.

Incredibly dumb
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:36 pm

You've got to laugh, he used to get one week for what others got nothing for and now he gets 2. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:37 pm

mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:Hawkins = dumb/slow learner.

Incredibly dumb

Hard to break habits though. Feel sorry for him.
Pathetic that got 2 weeks.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Stupid thing is he will do it again and then get 3 weeks
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL