Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Broken Down Hack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:41 pm

4 - 6 scored in a total of 4 games off B grade .... with one team failing to trouble the scorers .... must be some sort off record for 5 games in a round
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:03 am

Broken Down Hack wrote:4 - 6 scored in a total of 4 games off B grade .... with one team failing to trouble the scorers .... must be some sort off record for 5 games in a round

Not a good look. The five winning teams score 695 -to 30 accross the five games. The fullbacks would only need to lace up their boots every second week.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Thumbs Up » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:44 am

Esteban Vihaio wrote:
Broken Down Hack wrote:4 - 6 scored in a total of 4 games off B grade .... with one team failing to trouble the scorers .... must be some sort off record for 5 games in a round

Not a good look. The five winning teams score 695 -to 30 accross the five games. The fullbacks would only need to lace up their boots every second week.

Shoes vs OSB/L "B" Grade had to be the worst game of football i have ever seen at that level at Noarlunga ever.
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby footyfan82 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:28 pm

have londale voted to leave the sfl on friday? Off to saafl??
So thats the end of the 2 div idea?
footyfan82

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby godra » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm

footyfan82 wrote:have londale voted to leave the sfl on friday? Off to saafl??

I too have heard this, members voted they would prefer to leave.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Hasbeen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 pm

godra wrote:
footyfan82 wrote:have londale voted to leave the sfl on friday? Off to saafl??

I too have heard this, members voted they would prefer to leave.

From what I've heard it was just a meeting throwing around some ideas, No voting done.
I heard the SFL President turned up and bagged the Ammos. A bit rich seeing as he's had a big hand in turning the SFL into the Titanic.
Hasbeen
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Upto 5 clubs looking at leaving next year. Flaggies, Happy Valley, Reynella, Marion and Osb. Anyone from those clubs care to comment or is it still to early. Was around this time last year that Brighton and Morphy's announced they were leaving.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 pm

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Upto 5 clubs looking at leaving next year. Flaggies, Happy Valley, Reynella, Marion and Osb. Anyone from those clubs care to comment or is it still to early. Was around this time last year that Brighton and Morphy's announced they were leaving.

Flagstaff Hill aren't

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:40 am

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Upto 5 clubs looking at leaving next year. Flaggies, Happy Valley, Reynella, Marion and Osb. Anyone from those clubs care to comment or is it still to early. Was around this time last year that Brighton and Morphy's announced they were leaving.

Flagstaff Hill aren't

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Happy Valley aren't.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Hound » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm

With the way the SFL is going i reckon it wont be long until it ends up like the SCA, deceased!
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Half Back Flanker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Have heard that OSB and Marion and going to be in the Adelaide Footy League in 2018.....almost definite. Reynella too have put the feelers out.

The SFL has always been a strong league, what the hell is going wrong?
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby Pommy Git » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Years of mismanagement.
Too much time and effort put into propping up the lesser clubs and trying to drag the better clubs down to their level instead of trying to improve the league. Too many directors from Div2 clubs?
The clubs have sat back though and haven't put anyone forward to replace the captain of the Titanic.
We have seen many strong sporting associations disappear over the years. I fear that the SFL is in it's death throws.
Pommy Git

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Half Back Flanker wrote:

Have heard that OSB and Marion and going to be in the Adelaide Footy League in 2018.....almost definite. Reynella too have put the feelers out.

The SFL has always been a strong league, what the hell is going wrong?

If Lonsdale and Marion go it will be a good thing for the league and hopefully the consolidation the comp needs as a 9 team A grade comp all with juniors left. Feel sorry for Lonsdale as they try hard, but have no sympathy for Marion.

Always a focus on the poor performances at the bottom end of the ladder, but not much focus on the top, the last few years have shown a very even top 6 clubs and the standard when these clubs play each other is top notch. Confirmed by recent association and zone results along with Brighton dominating Div 3 after finishing 4th in 2016, this is still a strong league.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Off The Wall » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Was a proposal put to the presidents last night that if OSBLFC leave to ammos, that their juniors and/or moddies stay in the SFL? Was it voted for or against if so
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Agree Dutchy. All these "experts" saying the SFL should have gone back to two divisions when they had a chance 5 or 6 years ago just don't get the bigger picture of the problems this would have created. The majority of those Div 2 clubs had little or no juniors so pity the clubs like Christies, Porties, or even Flaggies who may have been in the gun for Division 2 back then. The Div 2 Junior grades would have been a debacle and juniors would have fled from those unlucky Div 2 clubs just like they did from Cove to clubs like Brighton & Reynella and from Flaggies to Happy Valley when those clubs were in the old Division 2. As the HFL have discovered in recent years, a Divisional structure that incorporates juniors becomes a big headache when considering the process for promotion and relegation.

If one is to be critical of the SFL and member clubs it is not making tougher decisions with clubs who have been unable to fulfil minimum requirements for a decent level of participation in the Saturday game day model. The attrition of clubs by force or voluntary was always going to be the best outcome for the SFL and if 2018 dawns with 9 or 10 clubs left standing, then this should present an opportunity for the SFL to consolidate and move forward with some purpose.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby lion heart » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

At the end of the day the SFL will be fine. 9 strong clubs that have all been mostly competitive this season fielding 4 teams on a Saturday. Should be a great comp. I worry a little for Aldinga but they appear to be on the right path.

One piece of history that should never be forgotten is that the Div 2 clubs never had a choice. The SFL forced us into one division and that decision alone has caused a lot of collateral damage along the way. Forced merger of O'Sullivan Beach and Lonsdale (DIV 2 A grade premiers), Hackham gone, Kangarilla, Morphettville, Brighton leaving. Edwardstown came and went. In 2001 we had very lopsided divisions (11 teams div 1 and 6 div 2) but with the pressure intensifying to relegate the club of prominent SFL board member's looming the cunning plan of forcing 1 division was hatched!! The SFL has somehow managed to lose 10 or 11 club's since the late 90's. So many opportunities along the way to right the wrong but it is too little too late now.

As a club we are certainly not blameless for the position we are in, we have made plenty of mistakes along the way and not always had the right people in the right places. Our A grade made finals 3 season's in a row 2005-2007 but a series of event's sent us on a downward spiral of which we have not recovered. 7 years at the bottom is a long time in football and too many loyal club people are beaten down both physically and mentally. The SFL is a strong competition that demands high standards - we have not delivered either on or off the field.

I know i speak on behalf of all member's when i say we never wanted the club we love to leave the SFL but we are now faced with the sad reality of 3 options:
-Die in div one next season
-play C grade comp (not an option)
-look for another league to rebuild the club.

A vote must still happen to ratify any move but the general consensus seemed to be strong toward leaving. As a club we want to not only survive but thrive so in reality there is only one choice. Time to move forward. Going to be a lot of new hurdle's to face but i look forward to the challenge. This will give many involved with the club a new lease of life. There are too many bloody good people involved at the club to not to give it a red hot crack!
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby am Bays » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Quality post there lion heart, dare I say it from the heart.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby afc9798 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 pm

lion heart wrote:At the end of the day the SFL will be fine. 9 strong clubs that have all been mostly competitive this season fielding 4 teams on a Saturday. Should be a great comp. I worry a little for Aldinga but they appear to be on the right path.

One piece of history that should never be forgotten is that the Div 2 clubs never had a choice. The SFL forced us into one division and that decision alone has caused a lot of collateral damage along the way. Forced merger of O'Sullivan Beach and Lonsdale (DIV 2 A grade premiers), Hackham gone, Kangarilla, Morphettville, Brighton leaving. Edwardstown came and went. In 2001 we had very lopsided divisions (11 teams div 1 and 6 div 2) but with the pressure intensifying to relegate the club of prominent SFL board member's looming the cunning plan of forcing 1 division was hatched!! The SFL has somehow managed to lose 10 or 11 club's since the late 90's. So many opportunities along the way to right the wrong but it is too little too late now.

As a club we are certainly not blameless for the position we are in, we have made plenty of mistakes along the way and not always had the right people in the right places. Our A grade made finals 3 season's in a row 2005-2007 but a series of event's sent us on a downward spiral of which we have not recovered. 7 years at the bottom is a long time in football and too many loyal club people are beaten down both physically and mentally. The SFL is a strong competition that demands high standards - we have not delivered either on or off the field.

I know i speak on behalf of all member's when i say we never wanted the club we love to leave the SFL but we are now faced with the sad reality of 3 options:
-Die in div one next season
-play C grade comp (not an option)
-look for another league to rebuild the club.

A vote must still happen to ratify any move but the general consensus seemed to be strong toward leaving. As a club we want to not only survive but thrive so in reality there is only one choice. Time to move forward. Going to be a lot of new hurdle's to face but i look forward to the challenge. This will give many involved with the club a new lease of life. There are too many bloody good people involved at the club to not to give it a red hot crack!

What a great post. Good luck to OSBLFC which ever way things go and congrats on having the courage to look at the options and take action to save the club's future. Hopefully this inspires more 'bloody good people' to get involved and get things moving in the right direction.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby banterfordays » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Where does this rumour of flaggys leaving to HFL keep coming from?
They're having an unprecedented era of success in nearly every department at the club. Would take for something big to happen for them to move.

Valleys makes more sense. Only issue there is what division?
Div1 and their seniors are fairly weak
Div2 and their juniots would easily be if not the steongest the 2nd strongest in every competition
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Animus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Round 16:

Saints v Emus @ Christies Beach - Emus to bounce back
Falcons v Cobras @ Flagstaff Hill - Cove's 1st game for a couple months
Rams v HFL Vikings @ Marion - Can Marion close the gap
Shoes v Wineflies @ Noarlunga - Cricket score looming
AFL Lions v Sharks @ Lonsdale - Sharks in a close one