Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am

Glenelg scheduled it
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 3 - 2017

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:35 pm

We hosted an Interzone Game for primary school age kids between Glenelg & Norwood last Friday night. The ground wasn't too muddy at that point but Friday's rain meant she was fairly wet with puddles forming in some parts. The game still went ahead though.

SANFL Clubs probably think its great to take these games to local clubs but the reality is they are just as much trying to protect their own ovals and facilities - but at a time when our grounds could do with the same protection. But as a local club you want to be seen to be doing the right thing by your zoned SANFL club by accommodating these requests. Catch 22 really.

BTW, Brighton Oval has recovered nicely since Sunday and should be a decent deck for tomorrow other than being a bit tacky in the guts.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:17 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Hey Dutchy, I think directly above is a reference to Flinders Park not Brighton. I saw footage of FP from Saturday and it just looked like mud and not much else. Brighton had no footy on Saturday but ended up pretty average on Sunday as one of the posters has mentioned. But our oval breaking point is much better these days due to better drainage and when it reaches breaking point such as Sunday it recovers quicker. She still looked pretty ordinary on Tuesday night but should have improved considerably over the last 2 days with pretty good drying weather. I guess we will find out tonight how much it has improved. I saw PHOS Camden yesterday morning and it was diabolical. Unfortunately, grounds with turf cricket squares suffer the most when it rains. A combination of the grounds being flatter creating less run off and the special black soil needed for turf wickets. Our groundsman can tow a roller on his tractor which can assist in bringing moisture to the surface to speed up drying but this is dependent on the oval still being firm enough to get the tractor onto it without doing more damage.

That turf wicket at PHOS is a knightmare. When we played there towards the end of the season the wicket was that hard they had people watering it to make it softer!

Doesnt Kilburn have a turf wicket and their oval would be up there as the best ground to play on IMO
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:07 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Hey Dutchy, I think directly above is a reference to Flinders Park not Brighton. I saw footage of FP from Saturday and it just looked like mud and not much else. Brighton had no footy on Saturday but ended up pretty average on Sunday as one of the posters has mentioned. But our oval breaking point is much better these days due to better drainage and when it reaches breaking point such as Sunday it recovers quicker. She still looked pretty ordinary on Tuesday night but should have improved considerably over the last 2 days with pretty good drying weather. I guess we will find out tonight how much it has improved. I saw PHOS Camden yesterday morning and it was diabolical. Unfortunately, grounds with turf cricket squares suffer the most when it rains. A combination of the grounds being flatter creating less run off and the special black soil needed for turf wickets. Our groundsman can tow a roller on his tractor which can assist in bringing moisture to the surface to speed up drying but this is dependent on the oval still being firm enough to get the tractor onto it without doing more damage.

That turf wicket at PHOS is a knightmare. When we played there towards the end of the season the wicket was that hard they had people watering it to make it softer!

Doesnt Kilburn have a turf wicket and their oval would be up there as the best ground to play on IMO

There is a fine line between too hard and a sloppy mess for cricket pitches in Winter. Unbelievable that the Camden Oval wicket was rock hard during the footy season....as when it rains during the summer it's as soft as butter :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Brighton will freshen up nicely with week off, probably play Golden Grove the following week.

Do Flinders Park get a home final, surely they don't get to play on that oval with the state it is in?
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:26 pm

2 inches of rain before Saturday. Will Flinders Park play at home this week?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Our B & C grades are scheduled for FP this Saturday. It passed a ground inspection this morning so presumably has recovered from two weekends back. ALDI Arena has already been allocated so we might need my mates Braddles and Timmy to have St Mary's on standby. ;)
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:52 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Our B & C grades are scheduled for FP this Saturday. It passed a ground inspection this morning so presumably has recovered from two weekends back. ALDI Arena has already been allocated so we might need my mates Braddles and Timmy to have St Mary's on standby. ;)

That woud be an absolute joke! There is not a blade of grass on the oval, and with the rain predicted the oval will not be safe. Be like the GG game and soccer score of 4 goals each!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Burras » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:34 am

Down the Hill wrote:Our B & C grades are scheduled for FP this Saturday. It passed a ground inspection this morning so presumably has recovered from two weekends back. ALDI Arena has already been allocated so we might need my mates Braddles and Timmy to have St Mary's on standby. ;)

Triple Header with the forecasted weather for this week will make for an interesting A grade match..
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 pm

I'll report back on FP's Oval tomorrow after I drive past.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Come on guys, it's a winter sport - surely a bit of mud isn't the end of the world
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby carey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Come on guys, it's a winter sport - surely a bit of mud isn't the end of the world

Have you ever played at Flinders Park mate?
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:16 pm

carey wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:Come on guys, it's a winter sport - surely a bit of mud isn't the end of the world

Ever tried washing muddy jumpers? :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:38 pm

I think Eagles 2014 post is a bit hysterical about the oval being unsafe. Nothing really unsafe about a muddy oval. If anything, less chance of getting injured. Not sure what alternatives will be available if the weather and the AdFL decide that Flinders Park is unplayable. ALDI Arena is already booked by CBCOC for Div 5 Finals and Div 1 and Div 2 grounds are still in home and away action. And if we get the rain that is forecast, most finals venues will have fairly ordinary surfaces come Saturday, particularly by when the A grade game starts so I can't see FP being considered that much worse to necessitate moving the game.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby carey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Zartan wrote:
carey wrote:

Ever tried washing muddy jumpers? :lol:

Not my job.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:12 pm

carey wrote:
Zartan wrote:
carey wrote:

Ever tried washing muddy jumpers? [emoji38]

Not my job.
Back in my day when I played for a club where each player was responsible for their jumper I used to shower fully kitted up to wash most of it away.....probably in hindsight not the greatest idea for the drains but oh well.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:43 pm

You can't even get the young blokes of today to exit the changerooms with everything they entered with either after training or after a game. It does my head in what lads leave behind. And the lack of smarts to realise that on game day everyone in that changeroom is wearing the same shorts and socks so don't throw them on the ground or leave them lying around before you hit the shower or wander off to the medical room. I repeat, it does my friggin head in.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 pm

How have FP been training if their oval is so bad?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Booney wrote:I'll report back on FP's Oval tomorrow after I drive past.

Kids training has been cancelled for tomorrow night already, mustn't be good after yesterday's rain.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:How have FP been training if their oval is so bad?

It's been carefully worked around, kids have only been on there Friday nights.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League