Round 17

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 17

Postby PhilH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm

The rain after half time certainly sorted out the die hard fans from the casual visitors.

Still working out who came through when
BUT
we had about 2300 come in AFTER the last carnival match started so you could assume there were here for main match not the U8/U10.

Based on that I would estimate we had around 3,200 at games start.
Down to around 2800 by half time
and 2500 or so drowning by games end (dont forget the smart ones went to the grandstand, cricket or footy clubrooms.)

Players and Godsy certainly noted at post game presentations it was a larger and louder support than what they were used to,

Would have loved another 150 or so to break a couple of records but the forecast of afternoon rain was always going to be an issue for our target market of footy fans who don't usually come to games but might if invited and we put on an family friendly event around it.

Such is life, the 3 previous carnival days have been played in perfect conditons ... we were due for a wet one.

and
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby stan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:59 am

Soild effort there Phil. You went in and did the hard yards and the result was a good one.

Well done, tremendous effort on your behalf.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:51 am

It is indeed a great effort Phil and the Eagles for thinking outside the square.

What the SANFL should do is put people at the gates when the families are leaving and survey the reasons they are not sticking around for the main game, this would be perfect for them to get feedback on why there is low engagement int he SANFL from young families.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby PhilH » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Dutchy, that is a great question I would love an answer for ... it is not just SANFL, it happens a lot with any kids games at elite footy.

You would be amazed how many auskicker families leave Adelaide Oval (both Power and Crows) as soon as they get back from the half time game late in the 3rd quarter. Also happens with the mini leaguers at most SANFL venues I call at.

And yes happened at Woodville on Sunday, breaks my heart every year walking down the Southern end of Woodville to set up the parade as entire clubs pack up & walk past me on way out, couldn't even stay another 10-15 minutes to be in the parade and be acknowledged by the crowd. That said a lot did stay, lead of the parade was almost at the northern 50m arc by the time the end of it entered the arena.

And with the treasure hunt that keeps quite a few around for an extra 20 - 25 minutes or so.

I think this year weather was a big issue ... for casual family fans, which is what we are looking at here, it just wasn't a comfortable afternoon to stick around with a biting breeze all day and heavy rain on the way.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby Mickyj » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:44 pm

PhilH wrote:Dutchy, that is a great question I would love an answer for ... it is not just SANFL, it happens a lot with any kids games at elite footy.

You would be amazed how many auskicker families leave Adelaide Oval (both Power and Crows) as soon as they get back from the half time game late in the 3rd quarter. Also happens with the mini leaguers at most SANFL venues I call at.

And yes happened at Woodville on Sunday, breaks my heart every year walking down the Southern end of Woodville to set up the parade as entire clubs pack up & walk past me on way out, couldn't even stay another 10-15 minutes to be in the parade and be acknowledged by the crowd. That said a lot did stay, lead of the parade was almost at the northern 50m arc by the time the end of it entered the arena.

And with the treasure hunt that keeps quite a few around for an extra 20 - 25 minutes or so.

I think this year weather was a big issue ... for casual family fans, which is what we are looking at here, it just wasn't a comfortable afternoon to stick around with a biting breeze all day and heavy rain on the way.

Before we spoke on Sunday Phil
One family left the woman saying there is rain coming can't stay if the rains coming
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Locky801, just read your goal by goal updates from Saturdays games as I was away all weekend.. I rode the bumps in the North v Glenelg game like I was watching it live. I hadnt bothered to check the scores so it was like an old fashioned watching a replay without knowing the result. Love ya work

Eagles must sort there starts out if we are going to lose another GF this year.. Otherwise we may go straight sets which would just be a let down. Got out of jail a fair bit this year, but it could also be a good sign that sides win when they dont play that well..

PhilH, great work mate. First year I have missed this day, doing a great job trying to maintain the dying link between the kids and SANFL footy.. Genuine footy followers and supporters dont go at times when it is raining, dont beat yourself up if casual supporters dont brave those types of conditions
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby o five » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Was wondering if the Eagles plan on having these planned events next year against one of the traditional SANFL clubs instead of boosting the Adelaide crowd attendance figures.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby PhilH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Can't play a carnival if there is a reserves game scheduled.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby o five » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 pm

PhilH wrote:Can't play a carnival if there is a reserves game scheduled.

Fair enough.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL