Round 18

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 18

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Keefy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Do the teams get to use the Port/Crows rooms or get chucked into the cricket rooms?

If Port or Crows are playing they get to use their rooms. Everyone else gets either the cricket rooms or the away AFL room

So no different really to a suburban ground.

Imagine 10-12k at Richmond or Norwood, would be like the old days and gold for the competition, reckon the players wouldn't love that rather than playing at a stadium 80% empty?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm

All finals have to be at Adelaide Oval, I want the work! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Hazydog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Spargo wrote:If finals were played at suburban grounds, who says it has to be a double header?

I've liked the concept of Suburban finals for a while now based on giving the higher ranked team some advantage.

However... I doubt that Channel 7 would cover both matches, and also fear that not too many extra fans would attend than would normally go to a minor round game. As previously mentioned, would make it less attractive for the neutral to attend.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Keefy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Do the teams get to use the Port/Crows rooms or get chucked into the cricket rooms?

If Port or Crows are playing they get to use their rooms. Everyone else gets either the cricket rooms or the away AFL room

So no different really to a suburban ground.

Imagine 10-12k at Richmond or Norwood, would be like the old days and gold for the competition, reckon the players wouldn't love that rather than playing at a stadium 80% empty?

Don't be mischevious, Dutchy, sounds like you haven't been getting much sleep lately 8)

There are seven changerooms at Adelaide oval, four under the western stand and three under the southern (not including the umpires rooms in the Western stand and acknowledging that two Southern stand rooms are reserved for the two AFl franchises and one of the Western rooms (#2) is for he Shield team and Australia).

No SANFL oval has that many rooms. Woodville is fortunate in that the home team and visiting team rooms are massive soc an deal with four teams (2 x reserves and 2 x league teams)

Therefore Adelaide oval has four separate change rooms for footy (the away AFL room ) and three rooms under the Western standard.

Rooms one and four aren't large (where Auskick teams get changed Dutchy) but like the old footy park rooms (2, 3 and 4) but they beat sharing the away room at Noarlunga, Norwood, Alberton and Richmond.

No disrespect but what SANFL league take to each game is not like what a SFL or AdFL team have.

Plus there are SANFL stakeholders (palyers and club officials) that would appreciate the opportunity to be involved with a game on Adelaide oval as I've said before
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:07 pm

OK Woody Oval it is then!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Re: Round 1

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 pm

To me double headers for suburban grounds shound not be considered.
Team placed higher on minor premiership table gets the game.
Would be a great potential money spinner with a big marketing exercise for the home clubs.
To me suburban ovals are way underused.
I don't reckon too many neutral fans pay up to turn up these days except for the GF.
But many freebies anyway for Adelaide Oval members remember.
What attendance numbers will they get next week say 9000 including cricket members?
Perhaps they will get 15-20 thousand will shall see.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:20 pm

VALE PARK wrote:To me double headers for suburban grounds shound not be considered.
Would be a great potential money spinner with a big marketing exercise for the home clubs.
I don't reckon too many neutral fans pay up to turn up these days except for the GF.
What attendance numbers will they get next week say 9000 including cricket members?

So you suggest play the reserves and league elimination final at the same ground?

West v Sturt reserves, Glenelg v South league. What rooms do the reserves use?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Booney wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:To me double headers for suburban grounds shound not be considered.

So you suggest play the reserves and league elimination final at the same ground?

The SAAFL manages to sort this.
As do country leagues.

I know it will take some negotiation and management. However, I don't necessarily think we should throw out the possibility.
The atmosphere would be sensational at suburban grounds - much better than I've experienced at Adelaide Oval of late. And people who see footage and highlights of the games might even get the sense that people are actually going to these games - which you don't get from games at Adelaide Oval (seems a minor point, but perception of crowd sizes would change).
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:09 pm

The main consideration is about the premier league competition and the best alround outcome for the clubs.
Last year for example North and Norwood reserves played their prelim final at footy park.
Nowadays the reserves only get to AO if they make the GF and don't play before any league finals.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Booney wrote:

Reserves and even u18's use the suburban grounds currently before league, it can't be that hard.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Reserves and even u18's use the suburban grounds currently before league, it can't be that hard.
Yes but that is the same club.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Dustin Head to make his league debut on the weekend. Could not be happier or prouder of him. Three knee reconstructions and 13 operations and finally gets to debut, now that's resilience!

Go well Dustin, hope you have a cracker
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Brodlach wrote:Dustin Head to make his league debut on the weekend. Could not be happier or prouder of him. Three knee reconstructions and 13 operations and finally gets to debut, now that's resilience!

That's a lot of time at the quack to get back on the field, well done to him.

I'd normally say 'break a leg', but I don't want to jinx the lad any further. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:08 pm

As mentioned as a AFL chance before doing his first ACL
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby spell_check » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:20 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Team placed higher on minor premiership table gets the game..

Yes...would get rid of some 'dead rubber' final round games where a team rests a load of players because they can't finish outside of 2nd/3rd or 4th/5th

Only problem is that two finals games won't be telecast (lets say the Elimination and 1st Semi), as I can't see Channel 7 doing two matches at different grounds in a weekend.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:45 pm

One telecast is enough.
Prime time for footy is 2-5.
Shock,shock could even put it on the radio!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Thiele » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Brodlach wrote:Dustin Head to make his league debut on the weekend. Could not be happier or prouder of him. Three knee reconstructions and 13 operations and finally gets to debut, now that's resilience!

Totally agree. Top bloke nice to see all of his hard work paying off.
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Saturday August 26
Eagles v Central District (Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval) – 2.10pm
Live video stream at digitalpass.sanfl.com.au | Live radio & scores at SANFL Website & App

EAGLES

Woodville-West Torrens has included two important cogs in its best 21 for the clash against Central on Saturday.

First-choice ruckman Marc Borholm and running defender Jarred Allmond have shrugged off injury to be named on the extended bench along with emerging utility Jack Firns.

Former Power defender Paul Stewart has been sidelined by a broken thumb, with medicos expecting him to be fit for the Second Semi-Final on the weekend of September 9.

League

F: Comitogainni, Wundke, McGregor

HF: Rowland, J. Hayes, Poole

C: Johansen, Lewis, N. Hayes

HB: Hall, Heinjus, Goldsworthy

B: Sinor, Thompson, Giuffreda

R: West, Petrenko, Boyd

INT: J. Gaffney, Westbrook, Borholm, Allmond, Firns

IN: Borholm, Allmond, Firns

OUT: Stewart (thumb)

Reserves
C. Gaffney, Cook, Lukosius, Giles, Longbottom, Haylock, Lee, Elsworthy, Hoyle, W. McPherson, Cardone, Miller, Georgeson,, Woods, Smith, Martin, Wehr, Summerton, Jolly.

Under-18
F: Goold, Armfield, T. Hoyle
HF: Francis, Moller, Friend
C: Hann, M. Mead, Schmusch
HB: Redden, Schwarz, Wood
B: Miller, McKay, Brill

R: Michael, Weidemann, Hawkins
INT: Burgoyne, McKinnon, Moore, Schultz, Smith, Trimboli

CENTRAL

Central is likely to take an unchanged line-up into its contest against the Eagles on Saturday.

The Bulldogs must win to keep alive their chances of playing in September, with just two players added to the 23-man squad.

Key forward Connor McLean and utility Josh Richardson have been named on the extended interchange bench.

League

F: T. Schiller, Butcher, Milne

HF: Jenner, Hannath, Glenn

C: L. Habel, Holman, Goodrem

HB: Hanna, Stephenson, Barmby

B: Haydon, F. Fort, Llewellyn

R: D. Fort, J. Schiller, Jansen

INT: Hoskin, McLean, Presbury, Richardson, Waldhuter

IN: McLean, Richardson

Reserves
Antonie, Boyle, Broadwood, Claughton, Coleman, Dahms, Elbrow, Falkenberg, Greig, Hamon, Hately, Hewett, Lehman, McLennan, Nason, Prior, Reichert, Stevens, Templeton, Watts, Weaver.

Under-18
Ahmatt-Lovett, Barilla, Billing, Cannizzaro, Carnelly, Cormack, Dearlove, Dowse, Elbrow, Furnell, Materne, Milera, Montgomerie, Nietschke, O’Brien, Payne, D. Pilkington, B. Pilkington, Russo, Schiller, Shaw, Shinnick, Shirley, Smit, Spence.

North Adelaide v Port Adelaide (Prospect Oval) – 2.10pm
Live video stream at digitalpass.sanfl.com.au | Live radio & scores at SANFL Website & App

NORTH

North Adelaide will farewell veteran George Thring against Port at Prospect Oval on Saturday.

Thring, who has played a total of 122 Macca’s League games, has declared he will retire at season’s end for the Roosters.

The former Sturt utility has been joined by fellow veteran Leigh Ryswyk and ex-Crows rookie Alex Spina in the 23-man squad.

Mark Quinn has been sent back to the Reserves.

League

F: Hender, Ramsey, Wilkie

HF: Spina, A. Barns, Ryswyk

C: Kirk, M. Thring, Olekalns

HB: G. Thring, Smith, Driscoll

B: Wharton, C. Craig, Clisby

R: J. Craig, Schwarz, McDonough

INT: Anderson, De Leonardis, Harvey, McInerney, Minervini

IN: Ryswyk, Spina, G. Thring

OUT: Quinn

Reserves
F: Matsouliadis, Woolford, Corbett
HF: Wohling, C. Barns, Helyar
C: Purser, Appleton, Crompton
HB: Boles, Grove, Wundke
B: Rogers, Darrou, Virgin

R: Sweet, Quinn, Nixon
INT: Finckler, Garlett, Issah

Under-18
F: Dittmar, Denham, Henriks
HF: Aplin, Langley, Scrutton
C: Neagle, Brereton, Rozee
HB: Coleman-Oakes, Kitschke, Magor
B: Moore, Hilder, Daniele

R: Oborn, Woodcock, O’Leary
INT: Osborne, Scott, Elsmore, Gligora, Byrne, Finckler, Garlett, Smyrneos, Borg

PORT

At least two SANFL contracted Magpies should get their chance to shine against North on Saturday.

Tom Gray, Louis Sharrad, Robbie Young and Nathan Rudloff have all been added to the Port Adelaide squad of 23.

All four have been named on the extended interchange bench while star Power defender Matthew Broadbent will make a rare appearance after shrugging off an ankle ailment.

Matt White has been called up for AFL duty while captain Steven Summerton couldn’t be considered due to illness.

Former Essendon forward Angus Monfries has been rested ahead of the finals series.

League

F: Krakouer, Trengove, Ah Chee

HF: Impey, Eddy, Palmer

C: Hewett, Atley, Drew

HB: Lienert, Hombsch, Broadbent

B: Toumpas, Austin, Irra

R: Lobbe, A. Young, Snelling

INT: Ladhams, R. Young, T. Gray, Rudloff, Sharrad

IN: Broadbent, T. Gray, Sharrad, R. Young, Rudloff

OUT: White (AFL), Monfries (managed), Sumerton (illness)

Reserves
Baron, Biemans, Bell, Corcoran, Cooper, Coxon, Davidson, Drummond, Ginever, Hampton, Hawkins, Harris, Mahney, Miller, Proude, Roads, Ross, Shaoliang, Wanganeen, Zavryl.

Norwood v Sturt (Coopers Stadium) – 2.10pm

NORWOOD

Norwood has rested three key players for its last minor round game against Sturt on Saturday.

Anthony Wilson, Ed Smart and Kristian Roocke have all been given the weekend off ahead of next Saturday’s Elimination Final.

Key forward Lewis Johnston injured his glute against Port last Sunday, forcing him to miss at least a fortnight of action.

Harry Viney, Zac Richards, Callum Bartlett, Chris Olsson and Mac Bower are among the inclusions while key back Harry Petty (17, 194cm and 81kg) could also make his Macca’s League debut.

Petty was the MVP for the McDonald’s SA U18 team at this year’s AFL National Championships.

League

F: A. Forster, Shenton, Olsson

HF: Bartlett, Dawe, Panos

C: Nunn, Grigg, Kirwan

HB: Terlich, Georgiou, McKenzie

B: T. Forster, Levicki, Jefferies

R: Baulderstone, Webber, Fuller

INT: Bampton, Richards, Viney, Petty, Bower

IN: Viney, Richards, Petty, Bartlett, Olsson, Bower

OUT: Johnston (glute), Wilson (managed), Smart (managed), Roocke (managed)

Reserves
Carter, Bielby, Giro, Di Stefano, North, T. Charlton, Astbury, Fahlbusch-Moore, Giannini, Miller, J. Richards, M. Coles, J. Coles, Smith, Saywell, Carroll, Pedro, Collins, Hupfeld, Valente.

Under-18
Ware, Breden, Theodorakopoulos, Atkinson, Patterson, Partridge, Draper, Petrohilos, Swanbury, Smith, Pacitti, Joseph, Reynolds, Kennerley, T. Martin, North, Pisani, Taheny, Dawson, Bristow, Jarvis, J. Martin, Kalafatis, Barnett, Blades, Scanlon, Vorrasi.

STURT

Sturt has added plenty of height for its clash with Norwood on Saturday.

Tall ruck/forwards Tom Read and Henry Voigt have been called upon, with the latter named to start in the ruck while Jack Osborn is rested with general soreness.

Ball magnet Mitch Crowden and possible debutant Brandon Zerk-Thatcher ( 19, 195cm and 77kg) from Murray Bridge, have also been included on the extended interchange bench.

Goalsneak Ben Hansen is sidelined by a groin ailment, with a week’s rest invaluable ahead of next Saturday’s Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide.

League

F: Riley, Beard, Dodd

HF: Sutcliffe, M. Evans, Hone

C: Slimming, Batterbsy, Crocker

HB: Colquhoun, Stephens, Sumner

B: Page, F. Evans, Gilfoy

R: Voigt, Kirkwood, P. Wilson

INT: Read, Harms, McMahon, Zerk-Thatcher, Crowden

IN: Read, Voigt, Zerk-Thatcher, Crowden

OUT: Hansen (groin), Osborn (general soreness)

Reserves
F: Kennedy, Houlahan, Samblich
HF: Trenorden, Hayden, Penfold
C: Haren, Coulson, Veale
HB: Carey, M. Lochowiak, D. Wilson
B: Edmonds, Moriarty, Coomblas

R: Fahey-Sparks, Thiele, Wildman
INT: McCatty, Munn, Campbell, Applebee

Under-18
F: Smith, Smelt, Woollard
HF: Applebee, Munn, Shute
C: Worthley, Hone, Lines
HB: Grivell, Grieve, Weidenhofer
B: Grundy, Longden, Fielke

R: Mitchell, Illman, Allan
INT: Ortiz, Trevorrow, Richards, Welsby
EMG: Cross, McDonald, Braidwood

South Adelaide v Adelaide (Hickinbotham Oval) – 2.10pm

SOUTH

South Adelaide has included two potential debutants for its clash with Adelaide on Saturday.

Jesse McKinnon, from Victor Harbor FC, is the son of former West Adelaide star Robbie McKinnon and Robert Irra, from OSB/Lonsdale FC, is the yonger brother of Power rookie Emmanuel Irra, with both listed on the extended interchange bench.

They have been joined in the Panthers’ 23-man squad by Alex Moyle, Jordan Taylor and Nic Schwarz, who could play his 50th Macca’s League match.

Backman Tom Fields is out with a calf strain while Alex Cailotto and Tarak Redigolo were squeezed out of the 21 which lost to Sturt last round.

League

F: Moyle, Damin, Raitt

HF: Seccull, Davis, Schwarz

C: Veide, Cross, Haines

HB: J. Taylor, Crabb, Rose

B: Rankine, Durdin, Newell

R: Bass, Heaslip, Liddle

INT: Gulden, Ellison, Szust, McKinnon, Irra

IN: J. Taylor, Schwarz, Moyle, McKinnon, Irra

OUT: Fields (calf), Cailotto, Redigolo

Under-18
Beenham, Sampson, Irra, Illingworth, Penn, Arnold, Tucker-Cook, Whimpress, Bogle, Bruce, Fitt, Whitbread, Daniels, Davies, Manuel, Coleman, Colwell, Sowter, Wilkinson, McGree, Snelling, Elmes, Douglass, Gaspari, Bradford, Steele, Lawrie, Carapetis.

ADELAIDE

Adelaide has rushed back veteran utility Andy Otten for its crucial clash with South on Saturday.

Otten has recovered from an ankle injury to be named at centre-half back for the Crows, who must win to have a chance of playing finals.

Otten has been joined by development players Josh Wittwer, Ryan Marrini, Blake Launer, John Boxer and Damon Hill.

Wayne Milera, Kyle Hartigan and Paul Seedsman have been called up for AFL action while Jordan Gallucci won’t play again this season after breaking his jaw against the Eagles last Sunday.

Ruckman Reilly O’Brien will play his 50th Macca’s League match.

League

F: Beech, Hunter, T. Lever

HF: Menzel, Dear, Jarman

C: Poholke, Wigg, Hampton

HB: Gore, Otten, Signorello

B: Davis, Doedee, Cheney

R: O’Brien, Thompson, Murphy

INT: Wittwer, Marini, Launer, Boxer, Hill

IN: Otten, Wittwer, Marini, Launer, Boxer, Hill

OUT: Gallucci (jaw), Milera (AFL), Hartigan (AFL), Seedsman (AFL)

West Adelaide v Glenelg (City Mazda Stadium) – 2.40pm
Live on Channel 7 | Live scores and stats at SANFL Website & App

WEST

West Adelaide could unleash another two BankSA Rookies for its clash against Glenelg on Saturday.

Mature-age Dustin Head (25, 181cm and 80kg) from Border Downs Tintinara FC has been named on the extended interchange along with 20-year-old Thomas Lynch, from Goodwood Saints.

They have been joined in the Bloods’ 23-man squad by former Tiger Jacob Carger, key defender Jake Wilson and utility Chol Majok.

Murray Waite, Nick Favretto and Jack Evans have all been sent back to the Reserves.

Premiership players Chris Schmidt and Daniel Caire will play their last Macca’s League game for the Bloods.

League

F: Rankine, Wasley-Black, Green

HF: Karpany, Middleton, Turner

C: Batley, Schiller, Hill

HB: Schmidt, Wilson, Burgess

B: Caire, Keough, Agostino

R: McPherson, K. Stevens, Fielke

INT: Head, Carger, Noble, Majok, Lynch

IN: Carger, Head, Wilson, Majok, Lynch

OUT: Waite, Favretto, J. Evans

Reserves
Silverlock, Favretto, Waite, Haysman, Anderson, Klemke, Pillion, Peter, Bates, J. Evans, Ryan, Iannucci, I. Johnson, Holliday, Scott, Vassallo, Halkias, J. Ryan, J. Stevens, L. Evans, Bottin.

Under-18
Nunan, Eichner, Gutsche, Earl, Chamberlain, Baker, Fairlie, Crump, Walton, Inglis, Boots, Jones, Laube, Milde, Sinderberry, Heitmann, Smithson, Rana, Thilthorpe, Westley, Wright, Dunkin, Avery, Hannagan.

GLENELG

Glenelg has regained a star midfielder for its must-win match against West on Saturday.

Ball magnet Matt Snook has returned from a minor leg injury, which kept him out of last round’s loss to North Adelaide.

The tenacious left-footer has been joined by Jack Haarsma and Jay Boyle in the Bays’ 23-man squad.

Riley McFarlane couldn’t be considered due to a nagging shin complaint which has impacted on the second half of his season.

Key defender James Sellar will play his 100th Macca’s League game after making his debut in Ronnd 1 2006.

League

F: I. Milera, McBean, T. Milera

HF: Vitkunas, Scott, Martini

C: Howard, Snook, Nicholson

HB: Scharenberg, Curran, Agnew

B: Proud, Sellar, Joseph

R: McGinty, Sawford, Barry

INT: Earl, Chalmers, J. Edwards, Haarsma, J. Boyle

IN: Snook, Haarsma, J. Boyle

OUT: McFarlane (shin)

Reserves
Bailey, H. Boyle, Buchanan, Cock, Denton, B. Edwards, Hill, Hosie, Koster, McCarthy, B. Merrett, M. Merrett, Noble, Papatolis, Schott, Slade, Strange, Sullivan, Trembath, Walker, Wong.

Under-18
Boyle, Carney, Chichester, Corso, Cubillo, Dowdell, Flinn, Inglis, N. Jones, T. Jones, L. Edwards, Leck, Liambis, Lockwood, Masters, C. McCarthy, Muller, Murphy, Park, Potter, Satala, Smith, Strange, Tugwell.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby prowling panther » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:32 pm

South still wasting their time with Mathew Raitt I see, no wonder they are struggling.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Scott Thompson playing his final game tomorrow at Noarlunga? Will they chair him off after the match?
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL