Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby The Myth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Maybe if the SACA picked the right clubs or clubs that needed to merge last time something might have happened
The Myth

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 pm

bowl100 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
bowl100 wrote:Money needs to be spent on grade cricket grounds if people are constantly demanding it gets better. Very tough to improve standards of cricket when a lot of the grounds have horrendous outfields, sight screens, change rooms and pitches in some cases. Throwing money into the Redbacks League is all well and good but when many of the better grade cricketers are not interested in playing unless they get paid why not put the money into improving grounds, facilities and so on at grade grounds instead of complaining that the standard isn't good enough.

Reduce the amount of grounds so its feasible to improve facilities ie get rid of clubs. Need less clubs in the comp so players can be paid more than what ATCA clubs are offering
Swallowing the ATCA comp should be the 1st step, start stopping the drain of players from grade cricket to Turf.

This is the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Players love their clubs for the most part and want to play for them. Some clubs don't pay a single player, they play because they love it. Give them the chance to play on better grounds and more will play for longer. No need to get rid of any clubs.... Just put some money and thought into what would actually improve conditions for the players

So you want to try and split funds between 13 average grounds when you could channel it to 8 top class grounds? Why isn't there 9 AFL grounds in Melbourne?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bowl100 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
bowl100 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
bowl100 wrote:Money needs to be spent on grade cricket grounds if people are constantly demanding it gets better. Very tough to improve standards of cricket when a lot of the grounds have horrendous outfields, sight screens, change rooms and pitches in some cases. Throwing money into the Redbacks League is all well and good but when many of the better grade cricketers are not interested in playing unless they get paid why not put the money into improving grounds, facilities and so on at grade grounds instead of complaining that the standard isn't good enough.

Reduce the amount of grounds so its feasible to improve facilities ie get rid of clubs. Need less clubs in the comp so players can be paid more than what ATCA clubs are offering
Swallowing the ATCA comp should be the 1st step, start stopping the drain of players from grade cricket to Turf.

This is the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Players love their clubs for the most part and want to play for them. Some clubs don't pay a single player, they play because they love it. Give them the chance to play on better grounds and more will play for longer. No need to get rid of any clubs.... Just put some money and thought into what would actually improve conditions for the players

So you want to try and split funds between 13 average grounds when you could channel it to 8 top class grounds? Why isn't there 9 AFL grounds in Melbourne?

Last year showed this is not going to work.
This is not AFL were talking about, its club cricket, people most players aren't getting paid and are incredibly attached to their clubs. As was shown last year people are not going to accept their clubs being folded or merged. When there are 100+ years of history in a club you don't just punt it when you decide people aren't bowling fast enough now.
We don't have to make every ground up to test cricket standard, but there is easily enough money to bring the worse grounds up to a better standard and make sure every ground has good sight screens and so on. Very tough to play good fast bowling with some of the decks and sight screens at a few clubs.
bowl100
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 pm

bowl100 wrote:This is the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Players love their clubs for the most part and want to play for them. Some clubs don't pay a single player, they play because they love it. Give them the chance to play on better grounds and more will play for longer. No need to get rid of any clubs.... Just put some money and thought into what would actually improve conditions for the players

Shouldn't clubs be able to provide decent facilities without more help from SACA?

I agree with trying to keep all clubs alive and don't want to see mergers. But clubs need to provide a minimum of standards themselves then any money from CA/SACA on top is to elevate - providing a higher standard of coaching for instance. If their only function is to spend SACA's money and if things go bad then ask for more money I'm not sure the clubs really warrant their place.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby bowl100 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
bowl100 wrote:This is the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Players love their clubs for the most part and want to play for them. Some clubs don't pay a single player, they play because they love it. Give them the chance to play on better grounds and more will play for longer. No need to get rid of any clubs.... Just put some money and thought into what would actually improve conditions for the players

Shouldn't clubs be able to provide decent facilities without more help from SACA?

I agree with trying to keep all clubs alive and don't want to see mergers. But clubs need to provide a minimum of standards themselves then any money from CA/SACA on top is to elevate - providing a higher standard of coaching for instance. If their only function is to spend SACA's money and if things go bad then ask for more money I'm not sure the clubs really warrant their place.

Agree with that, clubs should be able to provide decent facilities and coaching, most do. However it is clear some aren't, if there is money available to help them then I see that as more useful there than in other places. Better to provide good outfields at grade grounds rather than paying players to come down from the NT for a pre season hit.
bowl100
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:38 pm

NT pay their own way
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2017 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Have the redbacks league squads been finalised? I assume that will probably start mid-september
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Nominations closed last Friday I think so probably end of this week? Redbacks guys can only play the first weekend which is a shame.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Happycamper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

I am hearing of more players exiting Northerns.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby heater31 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 am

Happycamper wrote:I am hearing of more players exiting Northerns.
First Grade standard?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Happycamper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 am

heater31 wrote:
First Grade standard?

well played first grade
Happycamper
Mini-League

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Happycamper wrote:
heater31 wrote:
First Grade standard?

well played first grade

Chris Graser who left TTG for ND last year has gone to South Gawler
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lineandlength » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm

What level of player turnover do people think is normal? If a club had played 30 players in 1st grade over 2 seasons and 14 of those had now left the club, would this be considered high?
Lineandlength
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby heater31 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Happycamper wrote:
heater31 wrote:
First Grade standard?

well played first grade
Sounds like their massive sponsorship dollars are keeping players around the club :shock:
heater31

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:00 pm

heater31 wrote:
Happycamper wrote:
heater31 wrote:
First Grade standard?

well played first grade
Sounds like their massive sponsorship dollars are keeping players around the club :shock:

Straight into Gatts' pockets
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm hearing Cozzie might not be captain this season too!
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Slidingdoors » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 pm

You would think maybe a captain coach role for Gatta
Slidingdoors
Mini-League

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Mypolonga

Postby Happycamper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 am

Lineandlength wrote:What level of player turnover do people think is normal? If a club had played 30 players in 1st grade over 2 seasons and 14 of those had now left the club, would this be considered high?

This seems incredibly high...I assume 1 of the 14 was female? :shock:

If Cozzie wants to be captain and does not get it I imagine this will be be the final straw for him staying with Northerns.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 am

Grade cricket draw for this season on My Cricket now. Had quick look and noticed couple of things:

1. Looks like the One Day comp is over 4 matches (first two as part of 2 day comp, then two other matches on Sundays).
2. 20/20 comp has top 8 like the One day comp, instead of top 4.
3. Draw been moved around all over the place, not moved forward two weeks like normal.
4. Playing on Dec 23rd which is close to Xmas Day.
5. Interesting the final round is a 2 day game, thought they always finished with 1 day game so teams could not set up fake outright wins to make finals, don't like this one at all!

No clash with Premier League which winds up Oct 8 the week before season starts which is good.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Grade cricket draw for this season on My Cricket now. Had quick look and noticed couple of things:

1. Looks like the One Day comp is over 4 matches (first two as part of 2 day comp, then two other matches on Sundays).
2. 20/20 comp has top 8 like the One day comp, instead of top 4.
3. Draw been moved around all over the place, not moved forward two weeks like normal.
4. Playing on Dec 23rd which is close to Xmas Day.
5. Interesting the final round is a 2 day game, thought they always finished with 1 day game so teams could not set up fake outright wins to make finals, don't like this one at all!

No clash with Premier League which winds up Oct 8 the week before season starts which is good.
Haven't done the Sat/Sun final round for about 10 years. A long month of cricket for those sides that go all the way especially 3rd/4th grades that don't play them until round 13.

Also for the first time in a long time back to back away or home games for grades. Usually alternate home/away.
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps