Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2017 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Looking thru draw, the Bank SA seems to be reduced to one week, plus 20/20 games? SACA been pushing to get rid of this Carnival, this might be the final nail in coffin, seems waste of time if just 20/20 matches!

Not to mention clubs playing 2 games on the SAME day at DIFFERENT grounds... nightmare for parents. With no SACA u15s or country sides they may as well change the age group to u16s and play it as an u16 T20 tournament or just get rid of it which may be the way there going
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:38 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Looking thru draw, the Bank SA seems to be reduced to one week, plus 20/20 games? SACA been pushing to get rid of this Carnival, this might be the final nail in coffin, seems waste of time if just 20/20 matches!

This competition highlights some moronic decisions grade clubs made previously.

SACA wanted it to be an U16 carnival and to use it to pick the next season's State U17 squad. Very sensible. Make it part of the state pathway. U16s including all those up in seniors, all the college kids and the country kids would be quite strong.

It lasted one year.

The grade clubs bleated like stuck pigs about it. Got it changed back to U17 so that it had no relevance whatsoever to the pathway. Now has effectively been replaced by U16 Redbacks League.

Grade clubs successfully making themselves redundant.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:40 am

Tony Clifton wrote:

SACA wanted it to be an U16 carnival and to use it to pick the next season's State U17 squad. Very sensible. Make it part of the state pathway. U16s including all those up in seniors, all the college kids and the country kids would be quite strong.

It lasted one year.

The grade clubs bleated like stuck pigs about it. Got it changed back to U17 so that it had no relevance whatsoever to the pathway. Now has effectively been replaced by U16 Redbacks League.

Clubs were sold a carrot of extra $$$ for changing it.....the dollars didn't arrive so it was changed back.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:22 am

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

It lasted one year.

Clubs were sold a carrot of extra $$$ for changing it.....the dollars didn't arrive so it was changed back.

No they weren't.

They changed it back because it had always been U17s.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby backoftheroom » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:38 pm

With the Grade season just over a month away everyone should be well and truly into preseason by now. I've been pondering who I think will be the most (and least) relevant sides for season 2017/18 and would be interested to know who everyone else thinks will finish in the position 'groupings' I have below. I've also included a very short rationales to give context, the positions aren't in order, just the category I believe they will finish in (Kensi are my favourites right now). I'll look to update this after a few rounds once some games have been played too, perhaps a round by round power ranking.

TOP 2 (flag favourites)
Kensington (will have a FC fast bowler in every game without injuries plus plenty of solid secondary players around Brown)
West Torrens (young and should build on last season but I wouldn't expect as good a W/L record)

3rd-5th (finals contenders)
Port Adelaide (added Hoffman and should have Benton most of the season)
Woodville (should be able to finally take some wickets with added bowling depth)
Tea Tree Gully (ageing but one last season as a core group will be motivating, could drop right off though)

6th-9th (finals with the breakout performers)
Sturt (under performed significantly last season and should have Gregory back bowling at full tilt, new coach should help)
East Torrens (very young and a bit of an unknown batting line up, potentially strong bowling with the addition of Logan)
Glenelg (not enough bowlers, will score 300 and finish only to draw a bit too often I think)
Adelaide (could be anything if they get a full side on the park, expect Raphael to pile them on this year, 700+)

10th-13th (irrelevant or developing)
University (a couple handy ins but no real X Factor if Winter is busy with state duties)
Southern Districts (no genuine pace, too much required from Barrett/McCormack/Tanner)
Northern Districts (basket case)
Prospect (basket case 2.0)
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Reckon Adelaide are primed for a big season. That Yorkshire quick who looked the goods early last year is coming back too I believe. Seigert very good coach. Ben Pengelley to have a bumper season.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Reckon Adelaide are primed for a big season. That Yorkshire quick who looked the goods early last year is coming back too I believe. Seigert very good coach. Ben Pengelley to have a bumper season.
Hopefully the correct visa is applied for and granted ;)
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Break out year for Austin Umpherston this season. Has been impressive so far but I reckon he will explode this year.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Myth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:38 pm

The two biggest underachievers in Grade Cricket have been Adelaide and East Torrens. Is it the year that they finally come through? With what they have had to work with, there results have been poor. I agree that Raphael will have a huge year. I can see him winning the Bradman Medal again this season, fantastic grade player.Umpherston is emerging as a great young player. I watched him in a one day final last season where he looked the goods.
Few good kids around the comp this season to watch.
The Myth

Been liked: 10 times

Postby The Hound » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:

It lasted one year.

With all the rhetoric from CA and SACA regarding bowling workloads, better Under 16 players have 2 competitions to play in :oops: , if we are so concerned with injuries to our young bowlers it has to be one or the other IMO
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby The Hound » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 pm

backoftheroom wrote:With the Grade season just over a month away everyone should be well and truly into preseason by now. I've been pondering who I think will be the most (and least) relevant sides for season 2017/18 and would be interested to know who everyone else thinks will finish in the position 'groupings' I have below. I've also included a very short rationales to give context, the positions aren't in order, just the category I believe they will finish in (Kensi are my favourites right now). I'll look to update this after a few rounds once some games have been played too, perhaps a round by round power ranking.

TOP 2 (flag favourites)
Kensington (will have a FC fast bowler in every game without injuries plus plenty of solid secondary players around Brown)
West Torrens (young and should build on last season but I wouldn't expect as good a W/L record)

Woodville (should be able to finally take some wickets with added bowling depth)
Tea Tree Gully (ageing but one last season as a core group will be motivating, could drop right off though)

Sturt (under performed significantly last season and should have Gregory back bowling at full tilt, new coach should help)
East Torrens (very young and a bit of an unknown batting line up, potentially strong bowling with the addition of Logan)
Glenelg (not enough bowlers, will score 300 and finish only to draw a bit too often I think)not going to see much of Carey, Hankins not likely so a young batting group, may struggle to make 300 consistently
Adelaide (could be anything if they get a full side on the park, expect Raphael to pile them on this year, 700+)

University (a couple handy ins but no real X Factor if Winter is busy with state duties)
Southern Districts (no genuine pace, too much required from Barrett/McCormack/Tanner)
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby No kidding » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:12 pm

backoftheroom wrote:With the Grade season just over a month away everyone should be well and truly into preseason by now. I've been pondering who I think will be the most (and least) relevant sides for season 2017/18 and would be interested to know who everyone else thinks will finish in the position 'groupings' I have below. I've also included a very short rationales to give context, the positions aren't in order, just the category I believe they will finish in (Kensi are my favourites right now). I'll look to update this after a few rounds once some games have been played too, perhaps a round by round power ranking.

TOP 2 (flag favourites)

Glenelg (not enough bowlers, will score 300 and finish only to draw a bit too often I think)

Don't rate Peter Judd ??
No kidding

Been liked: 16 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:05 pm

No kidding wrote:

TOP 2 (flag favourites)

Don't rate Peter Judd ??

Think Juddy is very good coach, speaking to couple of players there they are hoping a new coach may follow what happened at West Torrens last year with renewed enthusiasm and a different voice that a new coach can bring.

Agree Adelaide the team to make finals this year, have developed their juniors thru to 1st Grade like WT, and this year could see the results improve more consistently.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Happycamper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:44 pm

What is happening at Prospect, any decent recruits?

No ND players in the Redback league sides.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Myth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Recruiting is what has got Prospect into this predicament
The Myth

Been liked: 10 times

Postby No kidding » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:48 pm

The Myth wrote:Recruiting is what has got Prospect into this predicament

What is their junior depth like now?
Why are they finding it so hard to improve ?
Other clubs have had tough periods but this one has gone on for some time now
No kidding

Been liked: 16 times

Postby backoftheroom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pm

No kidding wrote:

TOP 2 (flag favourites)

Don't rate Peter Judd ??

No issues with Judd, but a fresh look as detailed as Ben Cameron's could change things quickly, could also derail them though.
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Did Blake Gutschke break his arm playing footy? Heard a whisper but nothing solid. Also heard Harvey Brennan out of the U/19s to focus on Year 12 but I guess that might just be some winter trainings, not the squad altogether. Again, not solid info - just a whisper.

Both exciting young players.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Did Blake Gutschke break his arm playing footy? Heard a whisper but nothing solid. Also heard Harvey Brennan out of the U/19s to focus on Year 12 but I guess that might just be some winter trainings, not the squad altogether. Again, not solid info - just a whisper.

Both exciting young players.

According to Facebook, Gutschke just a badly bruised thumb......
heater31

Postby Trader » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
Happycamper wrote:Anyone else hearing that Cosgrove may be looking at options?

I heard that TTG were close but that he'd decided to stay at the Jets. This was ages ago though.

Yes he was definitely close to joining the Gullies and had decided to stay due to his family being a big part of NDCC. This was all before he had left for the UK Summer.

Heard from the AGM that his Dad, Pat had resigned/told to resign from the Chairman position. Whether this has changed Mark's mind I'm unsure however possibly it has.

Led to believe he has taken the $ on offer at Pooraka

Any update on this from back in July?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps