Riverland Football Chatter

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:13 pm

David Brent wrote:
SuperFrank wrote:
David Brent wrote:When was the last time Renmark, Loxton or Berri won an A grade final?

Seems to be the other 3 clubs in the prelims/GF every year.

I could be wrong but from memory:
Loxton 2006
Renmark 2009
Berri 2010

Loxton may have had one win since then perhaps but either way its a worrying trend for the RFL & the 3 failing clubs.

No, Loxton hasn't won one since then.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby oldbomber » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Thats pretty incredible in a small 6 team comp that only 3 teams are competitive year in year out over the last decade. Had a look on the sports TG website and if correct for some unknown reason loxton north and waikerie still get given 13 points and everyone else only get 15. The intent of the points system was meant to even out leagues over the years so how on earth the rest of the comp only gets 2 more points than the top teams is beyond me and would suggest it has not been implemented correctly for this league.

For example..in the mallee league BDT who have won nearly every premiership since they entered the league are now only allowed 5 points and finally as their strong list gets older they are coming back to the pack a bit. Last years wooden spooners were karoonda. They were given 22 points. They recruited well and returned to finals action for the first time in several years.

RMFL and GSFL would be another two solid examples i can think of where the points systems have been implemented successfully and provided a more even competition over the last 5 years anyway.

Would this help even out the RFL if implemented correctly? Maybe not for a year or two but i beleive it might help in the long term based on seeing its success in the previously mentioned leagues.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby SuperFrank » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm

oldbomber wrote:Thats pretty incredible in a small 6 team comp that only 3 teams are competitive year in year out over the last decade. Had a look on the sports TG website and if correct for some unknown reason loxton north and waikerie still get given 13 points and everyone else only get 15. The intent of the points system was meant to even out leagues over the years so how on earth the rest of the comp only gets 2 more points than the top teams is beyond me and would suggest it has not been implemented correctly for this league.

For example..in the mallee league BDT who have won nearly every premiership since they entered the league are now only allowed 5 points and finally as their strong list gets older they are coming back to the pack a bit. Last years wooden spooners were karoonda. They were given 22 points. They recruited well and returned to finals action for the first time in several years.

RMFL and GSFL would be another two solid examples i can think of where the points systems have been implemented successfully and provided a more even competition over the last 5 years anyway.

Would this help even out the RFL if implemented correctly? Maybe not for a year or two but i beleive it might help in the long term based on seeing its success in the previously mentioned leagues.

I agree to an extent. But in defence of those top 3, Waikerie this season only used 5points till mid way through & still only using 8points max. For the last 5-6 matches M.Spencley has been out & Waikerie only used 4points? I also think if you average out the points for each club used over the season, you'll find North & BMFC used less than Renmark & Berri.

We had Berri who for the first 5-6 games were maxing out on points but still getting done by 200+ points.

I think a lot of issues are deeper than points & money. If you can't retain locals, you're going to find it tuff.

I still think Berri will improve next season & Loxton have shown good signs of improvement aswell. As for Renmark, they knocked off both North & BMFC through out the season, not like they were that far behind.

I could be way off but that just my opinion, its hard to find that line. This is probably the first year the league has had 2 real strugglers in a while?
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby SuperFrank » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm

2015 Ladder, Loxton & Berri top 3.

1 Loxton North A Grade 2015 16 11 5
2 Berri A Grade 2015 16 10 6
3 Loxton A Grade 2015 16 9 7
4 Waikerie A Grade 2016 16 9 7
5 Barmera Monash A Grade 2015 16
6 Renmark A Grade 2015 16 3 13
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby oldbomber » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:12 pm

I agree to an extent. But in defence of those top 3, Waikerie this season only used 5points till mid way through & still only using 8points max. For the last 5-6 matches M.Spencley has been out & Waikerie only used 4points? I also think if you average out the points for each club used over the season, you'll find North & BMFC used less than Renmark & Berri.

We had Berri who for the first 5-6 games were maxing out on points but still getting done by 200+ points.

I think a lot of issues are deeper than points & money. If you can't retain locals, you're going to find it tuff.

I still think Berri will improve next season & Loxton have shown good signs of improvement aswell. As for Renmark, they knocked off both North & BMFC through out the season, not like they were that far behind.

I could be way off but that just my opinion, its hard to find that line. This is probably the first year the league has had 2 real strugglers in a while?[/quote]

You are right about local player retention being important. If the top clubs are using the fewest points obviously they have a good culture around them albeit winning games helps too. If the bottom clubs were maxing out on points its proves how hard it can be to find the right recruits. It also shows sometimes how big the struggle is to get back up off the bottom for some clubs. I think the best way back up is to hold onto locals and develop juniors (if you have good numbers) however its easier said than done due to things like lack of local employment opportunities plus numerous other factors.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby David Brent » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:12 pm

SuperFrank wrote:2015 Ladder, Loxton & Berri top 3.

1 Loxton North A Grade 2015 16 11 5
2 Berri A Grade 2015 16 10 6
3 Loxton A Grade 2015 16 9 7
4 Waikerie A Grade 2016 16 9 7
5 Barmera Monash A Grade 2015 16
6 Renmark A Grade 2015 16 3 13

Aware the other clubs have finished well on the ladder come end of season. Neither won a final that year.

I was just pointing out the fact 3 clubs in a 6 team comp haven't won a final in a long time as an interesting stat.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby SuperFrank » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:22 am

Renmark advertising the senior coaching job. Just testing the water to see what is out there?

Didn't think Martinson was doing a bad job at all, played some good footy this season.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby Baron Greenback » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 am

SuperFrank wrote:Renmark advertising the senior coaching job. Just testing the water to see what is out there?

Didn't think Martinson was doing a bad job at all, played some good footy this season.
Most clubs have it in their constitution to advertise it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Bum Crack » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:25 am

North looked good today after half time. The young worsfold lad with the mullet goes ok. Gunna be a good game next week. Cooky is the best FB in the league and that's Gunna be a major factor but they need to get the boys in the midfield stopping the delivery too. Browny was impressive in the 3rd when the game was up for grabs but i reckon he's a waste in a pocket against waikerie. He needs to play up the ground where he can use his pace getting it down norths end. That's just my opinion anyway.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby SuperFrank » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 am

Bum Crack wrote:North looked good today after half time. The young worsfold lad with the mullet goes ok. Gunna be a good game next week. Cooky is the best FB in the league and that's Gunna be a major factor but they need to get the boys in the midfield stopping the delivery too. Browny was impressive in the 3rd when the game was up for grabs but i reckon he's a waste in a pocket against waikerie. He needs to play up the ground where he can use his pace getting it down norths end. That's just my opinion anyway.

Agree, Browny is to good to be playing in a pocket. Need to release his speed.

Would expect McCatty to come back in. Matt Spencley is a huge question mark but even if he isn't 100%, can't see him missing the chance to win a flag with his brother. But for all I know Matt still could be in a moonboot.

Bring on Saturday!!! Love Grand Final day
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby SuperFrank » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Whillas Medal tonight, whose your tips?

My top 5 potential winners:
Matt Spencley
Daniel Nobes
Jake Spencley
Ben Yeomens
Steve Burton

Waikerie boys take votes away from each other? Not just the big 3 who have had a top year but blokes like young Shaw, Tim Bevan & Billy Cameron will surely poll a few. No real individual at all for Waikerie
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby CoverKing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 pm

SuperFrank wrote:Whillas Medal tonight, whose your tips?

Matt Spencley
Daniel Nobes
Jake Spencley
Ben Yeomens
Steve Burton

Waikerie boys take votes away from each other? Not just the big 3 who have had a top year but blokes like young Shaw, Tim Bevan & Billy Cameron will surely poll a few. No real individual at all for Waikerie

Reckon it will be between Burton, Matt Woolford, Ben Yeomens and both Spencleys
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby CoverKing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:31 pm

SuperFrank wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:North looked good today after half time. The young worsfold lad with the mullet goes ok. Gunna be a good game next week. Cooky is the best FB in the league and that's Gunna be a major factor but they need to get the boys in the midfield stopping the delivery too. Browny was impressive in the 3rd when the game was up for grabs but i reckon he's a waste in a pocket against waikerie. He needs to play up the ground where he can use his pace getting it down norths end. That's just my opinion anyway.

Agree, Browny is to good to be playing in a pocket. Need to release his speed.

Would expect McCatty to come back in. Matt Spencley is a huge question mark but even if he isn't 100%, can't see him missing the chance to win a flag with his brother. But for all I know Matt still could be in a moonboot.

Bring on Saturday!!! Love Grand Final day

McCatty played in Waikeries first final against North.

I'm tipping North to get up on their home ground.
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby SuperFrank » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:30 am

CoverKing wrote:
SuperFrank wrote:Whillas Medal tonight, whose your tips?

Matt Spencley
Daniel Nobes
Jake Spencley
Ben Yeomens
Steve Burton

Reckon it will be between Burton, Matt Woolford, Ben Yeomens and both Spencleys

You were spot on with Burton & Woolford. Surprisingly Dutton & Bevan lead the way for Waikerie, both quality players but had eyes on the big 3 in the Spencley boys & Nobes.

Always a few suprises on Whillas night
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby threestars » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Matt Woolford won his third Mail Medal (2xNAFA and 1xRFL) and I reckon came Top 3 in Mail Medal in SGL (between 2011-12)? How would he rate in terms of best footballers in country leagues these days?
threestars
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby SuperFrank » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 am

threestars wrote:Matt Woolford won his third Mail Medal (2xNAFA and 1xRFL) and I reckon came Top 3 in Mail Medal in SGL (between 2011-12)? How would he rate in terms of best footballers in country leagues these days?

By his credentials, you could definitely put together a strong argument that he certainly is one of the best getting around country footy today.

But saying that, I personally don't put him that category of your Brian Fenton, Ben Simounds, Marc Elliott, Myles Warmington, Daniel Nobes, Spencley boys or Darcy Hourigan.

There is no doubt the bloke is an elite country footballer & one of the most consistent but not sure if he has hit that level quite yet.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby OnSong » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am

SuperFrank wrote:
threestars wrote:Matt Woolford won his third Mail Medal (2xNAFA and 1xRFL) and I reckon came Top 3 in Mail Medal in SGL (between 2011-12)? How would he rate in terms of best footballers in country leagues these days?

By his credentials, you could definitely put together a strong argument that he certainly is one of the best getting around country footy today.

But saying that, I personally don't put him that category of your Brian Fenton, Ben Simounds, Marc Elliott, Myles Warmington, Daniel Nobes, Spencley boys or Darcy Hourigan.

There is no doubt the bloke is an elite country footballer & one of the most consistent but not sure if he has hit that level quite yet.

Add Peter Safralidis to that list.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Basher McCracken » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am

Tips for the Big one today, Waikerie to win easily, will the sheep(supporters) in the shed have anything intelligent to say, will Robbo send a text to the pioneer whineing about the Maggies paying players because we all know that the Panthers don't pay anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Basher McCracken
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times

Postby SuperFrank » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Well deserved win to the Pies on Saturday. That first quarter blitz got them a nice lead & held onto it for the game without to much worry. Big Nobes turned it on kicking 7 & Matt Spencley bagged a couple on a broken ankle. I thought Dutton was pretty dangerous out the guts aswell.

North kept with Waikerie for the last 3qtrs & you can't deny they had a fair crack. Josh Nelson, Luke Worsfold & Nathan Brown were best for me, fought till the end.

Take my hat off the the Pies, fought hard all year & was a full team effort. Good to see the Waikerie lads have a bit of fun the Murray Pioneer Football F/B page, stickin it to the whingers haha. Good on em!!!

Another year done & dusted!!!
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:51 pm

SuperFrank wrote:Well deserved win to the Pies on Saturday. That first quarter blitz got them a nice lead & held onto it for the game without to much worry. Big Nobes turned it on kicking 7 & Matt Spencley bagged a couple on a broken ankle. I thought Dutton was pretty dangerous out the guts aswell.

North kept with Waikerie for the last 3qtrs & you can't deny they had a fair crack. Josh Nelson, Luke Worsfold & Nathan Brown were best for me, fought till the end.

Take my hat off the the Pies, fought hard all year & was a full team effort. Good to see the Waikerie lads have a bit of fun the Murray Pioneer Football F/B page, stickin it to the whingers haha. Good on em!!!

Another year done & dusted!!!

Classic banter. I pissed myself reading some of those comments.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy