AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby Spargo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Corona Man wrote:There was some classic commentary early on... one girl was described as an in and under type, and how she "loved the tackle". I'd say she is in the minority there. And apparently another girl got "tunnelled"... after the game sure, but out on the Etihad playing surface?

:lol: On fire mate
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Corona Man wrote:Anyone watching the SOO Vics v Allies??

Why the F*** would anyone ?
Only heard about this match yesterday.
So they play a 7 match season in Feb / March and then out of the blue have a S.O.O. match in September .
Was this just an afterthought by the AFL to play this to try to fill in the BYE weekend?
AFL wont bring back S.O.O. for the Men but have one for the Women which is just utterly pointless?
Even more so when one team is "The Allies"

Surely the World Domino Chamionships are on one of the other channels to entertain me?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby Corona Man » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:42 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

So they play a 7 match season in Feb / March and then out of the blue have a S.O.O. match in September .
Was this just an afterthought by the AFL to play this to try to fill in the BYE weekend?
AFL wont bring back S.O.O. for the Men but have one for the Women which is just utterly pointless?

Surely the World Domino Chamionships are on one of the other channels to entertain me?

Or cricket from Bangladesh
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Old Red » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:55 pm

I have no problem with who plays football but lets not make WFL out to be something its not. Its a bloody circus at best
Old Red
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Corona Man wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

Or cricket from Bangladesh

Watching the pea hearted effort from Australia once was enough, let alone watch a replay of it. Lol ;)
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 am

You lot are unbelievable...no one is forcing you to like it, but how can our game grow and give women an opportunity to persue their dream when people like you continue to bash it because it's not up to the standard you want it to be... Anyone watch footage from the vfl or sanfl 30-40 years ago, the standard was shit in comparison to how the game is played now. Just a bunch of blokes kicking long and trying to knock each other out. Junk
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am

woodublieve12 wrote:You lot are unbelievable...no one is forcing you to like it, but how can our game grow and give women an opportunity to persue their dream when people like you continue to bash it because it's not up to the standard you want it to be... Anyone watch footage from the vfl or sanfl 30-40 years ago, the standard was shit in comparison to how the game is played now. Just a bunch of blokes kicking long and trying to knock each other out. Junk

too many old people who don't like change and are stuck in the mindset of yesteryear
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:28 am

mighty hounds wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:You lot are unbelievable...no one is forcing you to like it, but how can our game grow and give women an opportunity to persue their dream when people like you continue to bash it because it's not up to the standard you want it to be... Anyone watch footage from the vfl or sanfl 30-40 years ago, the standard was shit in comparison to how the game is played now. Just a bunch of blokes kicking long and trying to knock each other out. Junk

too many old people who don't like change and are stuck in the mindset of yesteryear

What a load of rubbish.
I wouldn't walk across the road to watch div7 ammos so definitely wouldn't watch it on TV, same with AFLW. A shit standard is a shit standard, doesn't matter if it's male or female. One day the standard may become decent enough to watch but until then no thanks
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 am

Jim05 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

What a load of rubbish.
I wouldn't walk across the road to watch div7 ammos so definitely wouldn't watch it on TV, same with AFLW. A shit standard is a shit standard, doesn't matter if it's male or female. One day the standard may become decent enough to watch but until then no thanks

No one is asking you to watch it.

It's great for the game and for little girls and women alike.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:54 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

What a load of rubbish.

And I'm not watching it but labelling people as stuck in yesteryear or as dinosaurs is plain wrong. FWIW even some of the Pro AFLW people were pretty scathing on last nights game
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:04 am

I didnt watch it. I did other things and also forgot it wad on. Wasnt all that keen to watch it so I didnt.

Is that cool with everyone here lol
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:08 am

I don't have Foxtel and there weren't a lot of choices on TV last night so we watched it as a family after going out for tea and partially enjoyed it.
2 bottles of red probably helped the enjoyment for me but the wife and daughter actually enjoyed it.

Each to their own I guess as I wasn't a fan of the idea of women's footy to start with but it's growing on me.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Corona Man » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:28 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

What a load of rubbish.

IMHO it was certainly a better contest than the EJ game. The women's game has already come a long way, and I reckon improvement in the overall
Standard is inevitable. My daughter has started playing sport again women's footy as a result, so for no other reason than that it has its place on the footy landscape.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby bennymacca » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

What a load of rubbish.

if you dont like it thats fair enough, its more the fact that a few people went out of their way to say how shit it is. plenty are interested, plenty arent, but more still seem to wanna bash it
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:11 am

If people cant see the pathway and growth opportunities AFLW provides for our game, then its absolutely fair enough to be labelled that. The sooner the dinosaurs realise they aren't the target audience, the better it will be
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby morell » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:12 am

Jim05 wrote:I wouldn't walk across the road to watch div7 ammos
Hey **** you, Jim. We're awesome.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby MW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

I think to deliberately come on and comment on an event you "don't care" about or "not interested in" means that you're probably threatened by it
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby morell » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am

Jim05 wrote:And I'm not watching it but labelling people as stuck in yesteryear or as dinosaurs is plain wrong.
No, it's not. It's perfectly apt. Reason being...

Its not about you. So bashing something that you have expressed to have no interest in, just for the sake of it, even when its been explained how important is it for others, reeks of a mode of thinking of days long gone. Hence "dinosaur".

The best way to explain it, is perhaps with the picture below:

Note Daisy Pearce on the far right.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 am

human_torpedo wrote:The sooner the dinosaurs realise they aren't the target audience, the better it will be

This.

Dead right. Those who whinge and complain about the women's comps etc need to realise they're not the target audience.. the AFL doesn't care about middle aged men watching the games or supporting them.. it's young girls and women it's targeted at.

I wont watch it because i find it hard to stay interested, but my girls will sit and watch the entire game intently - yet they wont watch AFL games.. because they don't relate as much.

Women's footy is on the rise - i have 3x girls all playing, and at Ingle Farm there would be an average of 3x girls each junior side + U15's girls side, women's side and next year plans for an U12's girls side.

Fastest growing market.. get on board.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby morell » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Spot on Zarty lad.
morell
Coach