Finals Week 1

Talk on the national game

Re: Finals Week 1

Postby saintal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 am

Couldn't help but have a chuckle at this article positioned near the top of the advertiser website

ADELAIDE left GWS completely spooked in their AFL qualifying final — and a footy legend says it was because of a “weird” illusion.

The Crows’ unusual decision not to link arms for the national anthem before the qualifying final was labelled a genius move by footy legend Dermott Brereton.

The Crows stood with plenty of space between each player as they faced off with GWS across the centre square, while the Giants linked arms as is standard in the AFL.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton described the move from Adelaide as a masterstroke because it gave the appearance that there were more Crows players on the ground because they stretched out over a much greater distance across the Adelaide Oval before the game.

I don’t know if they were trying for a visual illusion,” Brereton told Fox Footy.

“If you have a half a metre between each one of them compared to a team that are linking arms, you spread the line from the boundary to the centre square with the way they line up.

“Perhaps they want the optical illusion that, ‘There are so many of us out here’.

“It’s the old Muhammad Ali, ‘I’m hitting him from everywhere and he’s going to think he’s surrounded’. It’s a little game, but I tell you what, it’s working at the moment.”

Demons star Jordan Lewis described the Adelaide move as “bizarre” and “weird”.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:58 am

Dermott is off his chops
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby morell » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:04 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
morell wrote:One of the worst finals I've been to. Ended up out the back talking shit with randos.

How did the integration go?

I assume they weren't 40 year old SANFL fans rando 'types' coz we now know he struggles to communicate and integrate with that demographic! :lol:
Most of them were actually. Had to bite my tongue for the sake of social cohesion numerous times.

My favourite was the dude, would've probably been close to 50, wearing a big thick Sturt jacket and a Crows scarfe. Surprised if he wasn't a safooty poster.

I'm patiently waiting in line to buy a round. Conversation went as follows:

Rando: YEAHHHH how good is this mate ay? (sounded exactly how it just sounded in your head)
morell: Unless you're a GWS fan I suppose? But yeah its been fun once we finally got in - took us half an hour! How did you go getting in?
Rando: ***at least a two second look of complexion on his face***
Rando: You from Sydney are ya?
morell; ***thinks I am wearing a Mitchell Park FC jacket and way to converse, bro ***
morell: Nah, Adelaide mate, just not a Crows fan - hope you win for Sauce though!
Rando: ***at least a two second look of complexion on his face - you could tell he was trying to work out why I was there***
Rando: Yeah hes smashed Mummy - I hate that bloke such a dirty player
morell: Haha I like his style, you wouldn't want to cop a tackle hey?
morell: *internal sigh*
Rando: Hey you hear you cant use cash anymore!? Bloody joke it is
morell: ***thinks actually its way better this way and I hate using cash, plsy thre are "card only" sign literally everywhere you troglodyte moron***

Then my thoughts went to amber_fluid and our conversation. What would beigey expect of me in this situation? Should I explain to him that, yes, believe it or not people do just like watching good sport and that there could very well be non-Crows fans in attendance and that *shock, horror* some of them might even be Port fans. Maybe I could explain to him the benefits of a cashless society? Maybe go through how "dirty player" is an abstract concept and competely subjective?

I went with:

morell: Yeah man all we want is some beers! Forkenell!
Rando: and while were at it get some decent stuff too!!
morell: ***beigey would be proud***
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:11 am

morell wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
morell wrote:One of the worst finals I've been to. Ended up out the back talking shit with randos.

How did the integration go?

I assume they weren't 40 year old SANFL fans rando 'types' coz we now know he struggles to communicate and integrate with that demographic! :lol:
Most of them were actually. Had to bite my tongue for the sake of social cohesion numerous times.

My favourite was the dude, would've probably been close to 50, wearing a big thick Sturt jacket and a Crows scarfe. Surprised if he wasn't a safooty poster.

I'm patiently waiting in line to buy a round. Conversation went as follows:

Rando: YEAHHHH how good is this mate ay? (sounded exactly how it just sounded in your head)
morell: Unless you're a GWS fan I suppose? But yeah its been fun once we finally got in - took us half an hour! How did you go getting in?
Rando: You from Sydney are ya?
morell; ***thinks I am wearing a Mitchell Park FC jacket and way to converse, bro ***
morell: Nah, Adelaide mate, just not a Crows fan - hope you win for Sauce though!
Rando: ***at least a two second look of complexion on his face - you could tell he was trying to work out why I was there***
Rando: Yeah hes smashed Mummy - I hate that bloke such a dirty player
morell: Haha I like his style, you wouldn't want to cop a tackle hey?
morell: *internal sigh*
Rando: Hey you hear you cant use cash anymore!? Bloody joke it is
morell: ***thinks actually its way better this way and I hate using cash, plsy thre are "card only" sign literally everywhere you troglodyte moron***

Then my thoughts went to amber_fluid and our conversation. What would beigey expect of me in this situation? Should I explain to him that, yes, believe it or not people do just like watching good sport and that there could very well be non-Crows fans in attendance and that *shock, horror* some of them might even be Port fans. Maybe I could explain to him the benefits of a cashless society? Maybe go through how "dirty player" is an abstract concept and competely subjective?

I went with:

morell: Yeah man all we want is some beers! Forkenell!
Rando: and while were at it get some decent stuff too!!
morell: ***beigey would be proud***

See mate it's not that hard is it? ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 am

ah the unwashed....always good for a bar line convo
It does make you sound elitist though morell
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 am

The Bedge wrote:**edit just saw Lynch had 25 @ 72% haha, maybe Tomlinson didn't do as well as i thought :lol:

I was surprised when i looked at the stats after the game.

I would have said he had an ok game but wasnt near our best

saintal wrote:Couldn't help but have a chuckle at this article positioned near the top of the advertiser website

ADELAIDE left GWS completely spooked in their AFL qualifying final — and a footy legend says it was because of a “weird” illusion.

The Crows’ unusual decision not to link arms for the national anthem before the qualifying final was labelled a genius move by footy legend Dermott Brereton.

The Crows stood with plenty of space between each player as they faced off with GWS across the centre square, while the Giants linked arms as is standard in the AFL.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton described the move from Adelaide as a masterstroke because it gave the appearance that there were more Crows players on the ground because they stretched out over a much greater distance across the Adelaide Oval before the game.

I don’t know if they were trying for a visual illusion,” Brereton told Fox Footy.

“If you have a half a metre between each one of them compared to a team that are linking arms, you spread the line from the boundary to the centre square with the way they line up.

“Perhaps they want the optical illusion that, ‘There are so many of us out here’.

“It’s the old Muhammad Ali, ‘I’m hitting him from everywhere and he’s going to think he’s surrounded’. It’s a little game, but I tell you what, it’s working at the moment.”

Demons star Jordan Lewis described the Adelaide move as “bizarre” and “weird”.

haha wtf
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 am

MW wrote:ah the unwashed....always good for a bar line convo

He's from Mitchell Park, so no chance.

;) ;) ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby morell » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:52 am

amber_fluid wrote:See mate it's not that hard is it? ;)
Bullshit it isn't. He was a muppet.

There isn't an elitist bone in my body. If you knew me at all you would know how hilarious that actually is.

Anyway!

West Coast and Port would be very confident of making a prelim I reckon. GWS had no system whatsoever and seemingly played against their strengths. Loved making it hard for themselves.

Adelaide's pressure was absolutely elite but jeepers if you have The General, Lobb and The Mummy all down the line in 1v1's and you're under the pump, don't kick a 20m pass to a contest inside the Adelaide front half! Going short and insisting on trying to hit a loose every single time out of defense cost them multiple goals.

No sense of pragmatism in that side at all. Gold coated footy or nothing for them.
morell
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am

Brodlach wrote:Dermott is off his chops
yeah comes up with some strange stuff at times.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MW » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

;) ;) ;)

So am I.... :oops: :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am

Crows flag to lose, especially if it's wet
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:21 am

MW wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

;) ;) ;)

So am I.... :oops: :lol:

Obviously joking, I even played a season there. Really enjoyed it
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby morell » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am

It's gods own country and the people there his disciples, so of course you did.
morell
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:37 am

morell wrote:It's gods own country and the people there his disciples, so of course you did.

C'mon mate everyone knows God's Country is the LeFevre Peninsula
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:41 am

just watching the start of last nights game to see the anthem as per previous posts.

The Crows stared them down and would not move until GWS broke away. Similar to fast bowlers/batsman seeing who will look away first.

I think this will catch on.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:43 am

LMA wrote:
morell wrote:It's gods own country and the people there his disciples, so of course you did.

C'mon mate everyone knows God's Country is the LeFevre Peninsula

Isn't that the WWT Eagles zone?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby mots02 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:53 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Robran wrote:JJ love ya easy one OUT THE BACK CHAMP lmao

Yep he should have got across to shepherd for Eddie but no he plays the selfish card yet again and gets the easy goal himself.

After laying the tackle that caused the turn over and started the possession chain... then ran over 100m to get on the end of it.

but yep.... just gets the easy ones and is selfish.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 850 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby MW » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 am

Don't feed them mots
MW
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 am

The Bedge wrote:If I was Port Adelaide, i'd be a little cautious/concerned about running into GWS next week if they make it.

Yeah I wouldn't be. What a gutless performance that was last night from the AFL's over-hyped behemoth. The Crows weren't great by any stretch but that's the closest thing I've seen to getting a bye in the first round of the finals. If Port as expected beat West Coast you'll run right through GWS.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby MatteeG » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Gozu wrote:
The Bedge wrote:If I was Port Adelaide, i'd be a little cautious/concerned about running into GWS next week if they make it.

Yeah I wouldn't be. What a gutless performance that was last night from the AFL's over-hyped behemoth. The Crows weren't great by any stretch but that's the closest thing I've seen to getting a bye in the first round of the finals. If Port as expected beat West Coast you'll run right through GWS.

Spot on. Bunch of millionaire mercenaries who refuse to get dirty- possibly Ward and Greene aside.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL