The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Booney wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:One thing that certainly needs to change is the name of the team. The vast majority of the team are not Magpie footballers, but Power reserves. If they are going to call themselves the Magpies, then, once the Power are out of the finals, the team should be comprised totally of MAGPIE footballers, not Power squad members (Power reserves). As one player stated yesterday, we know very little of the Magpie identity, we just play for the few boys in this team for whom the Magpies means something.

I have no problem in Power Reserves players playing for Port, just that it really has to be Power Reserves, not Magpies.

Cheers

Who was it that said that?

Atley.

Cheers

Interesting, pre or post game and TV or radio? I'd like to see / hear his exact comments.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Sir Garfield Sobers, went all right didn't he?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Where/when did he say this?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Where/when did he say this?

Prior to the match, in a conversation with my brother-in-law, an ardent Power and Magpies supporter and member.
Overall, I believe you will find that the Power squad members regard themselves as Power players, not Magpie players. They would much rather be playing for the Power than the Magpies. In the same situation, wouldn't you?

The absolute absurdity of it is that Magpie players (players actually contracted by the Magpies) have to make way for Power squad members during the season. The Magpies CAPTAIN is NOT EVEN ALLOWED to play for the Magpies if there are 21 Power squad members available. Thus, all I am saying is that call it what it is: the Power Reserves team, not the Magpies. I am not saying at all that Power squad members should not be allowed to play. I am just saying, call it as it is.

Cheers
Last edited by bulldogproud on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Where/when did he say this?

Prior to the match, in a conversation with my brother-in-law, an ardent Power and Magpies supporter and member.
Overall, I believe you will find that the Power squad members regard themselves as Power players, not Magpie players. They would much rather be playing for the Power than the Magpies. In the same situation, wouldn't you?
It is the same situation re Adelaide. Their players who are playing for their Reserves team (but they make no bones about it being a Reserves team and not another entity) regard themselves as Crows, not as Ravens.

Cheers

I'm very surprised by those comments, it goes against everything I've heard other players say and do and while it's taboo in here there's plenty of passion showed by all the PAFC lads who play at SANFL level, especially Atley.

Tim Ginever spends considerable time with all new draftee's inducting them into the club, indoctrinating the history of the Port Adelaide Football Club in the SANFL into them.

I'll have to take your word for it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:43 pm

That's fine, Booney. I have nothing against Power squad members playing for Port, I just know that they see themselves as Power players, not Magpies. Any sensible person would. Ask any one of them. I would be very surprised if they didn't say they belong to the Power before they would say they belong to the Magpies.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm

bulldogproud wrote:That's fine, Booney. I have nothing against Power squad members playing for Port, I just know that they see themselves as Power players, not Magpies. Any sensible person would. Ask any one of them. I would be very surprised if they didn't say they belong to the Power before they would say they belong to the Magpies.
Cheers

I think you'll find they see themselves as Port Adelaide footballers, but hey ho.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Booney wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:That's fine, Booney. I have nothing against Power squad members playing for Port, I just know that they see themselves as Power players, not Magpies. Any sensible person would. Ask any one of them. I would be very surprised if they didn't say they belong to the Power before they would say they belong to the Magpies.
Cheers

I think you'll find they see themselves as Port Adelaide footballers, but hey ho.

I think you are probably right which is why for me it just makes sense for them all to play under the same guernsey
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Cheers

I think you are probably right which is why for me it just makes sense for them all to play under the same guernsey

Tried that back in 97, Eddie said no
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Let's face it, the Port Adelaide Football Club is genius on a State level.

Their club left all other clubs behind to play in a national competition, leaving their 8 rival clubs floundering and fighting for survival in a competition which was a shell of what it once was. For fear of the SANFL not being able to cope, the Port Magpies were formed.

Fast forward 15 years and the Port Adelaide Football Club take over the Port Magpies, with the added bonus of a hotel and an SANFL supporter base who still thought those Magpies were the same Magpies that were around when Russel Ebert was playing.

They use the Guernsey for marketing and the team for development. When it suits they use the competition for PR.

When it's all said and done, the Port Adelaide Football Club is on the national stage, miles above the other 8 clubs in terms of standing and substance on a national level. Unbelievably they will also still win the competition they once abandoned and of which, along with the Crows, they have made a mockery of.

But none of that matters, because the Crows will win the AFL premiership!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby GMcG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 am

Booney wrote:
Cheers

yes! And they're playing in the SANFL for the sole reason to get a game in the Power side. They know they play for the power reserves. A pig with lipstick on is still a pig
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby tipper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:59 am

GMcG wrote:
Booney wrote:
Cheers

yes! And they're playing in the SANFL for the sole reason to get a game in the Power side. They know they play for the power reserves. A pig with lipstick on is still a pig

yeah, but they assumed that like true aussies, after a few beers, and seeing no other options, we would still cuddle up to it by the end of the night.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby PhilH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 pm

My suggestion for Port's Grand Final Banner (front side)
Magpies Banner 2a.png
Magpies Banner 2a.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 5761 times

And backside
Magpies 1a.png
Magpies 1a.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:21 pm

That's great, Phil. We'll certainly have a banner on Grand Final day. Yourselves?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PhilH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Working on it :)
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby PhilH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:48 pm

We are doing one for our Under 18's in their Grand Final this weekend ... how about you ?
PhilH
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:55 pm

PhilH wrote:We are doing one for our Under 18's in their Grand Final this weekend ... how about you ?

Big one that one. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:59 pm

PhilH wrote:We are doing one for our Under 18's in their Grand Final this weekend ... how about you ?

Our U18s are playing all over Australia. A lucky few will be based at Alberton next year :D
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Wonder how the SANFuL media overlords will see that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby GMcG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Booney wrote:

Big one that one. :lol:

about as big as winning the reserves grand final?
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL