SANFL Finals Week 3- Preliminary Final Week.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Finals Week 3- Preliminary Final Week.

Postby Jimmy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:08 pm

wedgetail wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:
wedgetail wrote:Bitterly disappointing to go out in straight sets but would have taken 3rd at he start of the year with our list.
Gifted sturt too many goals due to skill errors and on-ball division not big or strong enough.
Godden won't be going anywhere and is committed to the club and going forward. He will continue to promote from within which is commendable but at the moment that doesn't quite compete with the big body recruits sturt have bought in from other clubs.

I agree that at the start of the year i would have taken 3rd spot given the amount of players we lost . BUT we did finish minor premiers and for that we should be incredibly p!ssed that we didn't even given a whimper at the start of the year.

Agreed our onball division is pretty small. Poole, Boyd, Johannson would be lucky to push 170cm. Good players but we can't have too many of these types. Through McGregor into that and you have another <170cm player on the park. Add to that Hall, Commitogiani who don't go in hard.......leave us only with Petrenko and Lewis, the latter who is in the death throes of his career.

Who are the big bodied recruits that Sturt have brought in from other clubs? I can't really recall them forking out $$ for any types who have become match-winners. You could perhaps argue that Beard is one. But we brought in Wundke a few years ago.

Ignoring the efforts of Lukusious today (who we will only see for 1 more year before he goes to the AFL) I'm very concerned that our 'talent' that we have promoted and blooded this year from the Reserves is not up to it yet we will persist with them for the next few years which will be problematic. I'd much prefer them bringing in some of raw talent from the U18s.

Just off the top of my head, Kirkwood, Wilson, McMahon, Riley (unsure if he was sturt before crows).

Wilson home grown

McMahon not a midfielder

Riley ours from mini draft days

Can't say I didn't enjoy my team beating the eagles today. Looked like there was a bit of feeling out there too!!

Why wasn't that rookie played earlier in the season? Looks a star!!
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:17 pm

I think what Sturt have done really well is to have recruited players with character and heart that are prepared to stick in for the long haul with the club. The Eagles have been good at attracting recruits but some of them have demonstrated questionable work ethic whilst others have only stuck around in the short term.

Lukosius probably should have got a few matches in with us later in the season but at the start of the season Jack Hayes was playing really well as a key forward prior to him being asked to take on ruck duties. So Godden was never going to play him early.

Shame we will only have him for 1 more season and even then only a few matches due to his State U18 commitments.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:19 pm

LMA wrote:
Gozu wrote:Would love to see Sturt get up over Port Power.

No chance, I think they'll beat Port Magpies though

:roll: Magpies, Power, call them what the **** you want, but they are still an AFL Reserves squad.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby holden78 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
Aerie wrote:It was a strong 4-5 goal breeze heading towards the Riverbank Stand end. The Eagles inability to use the breeze cost them. For both of those quarters (1st and 3rd) Wundke started on the bench and it wasn't until after 10 minutes in that he made his way inside 50. Whilst I think he is just about done, that is ridiculous coaching to have your main power forward miss out on over a third of the game kicking with the breeze. For both of those quarters the Eagles had 4 forwards vs 6 Sturt defenders. That is another area of the game Godden could control, but his structures cost the Eagles and those structures have in pretty much every major game the Eagles have played for the last 6 seasons.

The Eagles tried hard, but not good enough. Lukosious was brilliant in his first game, I though Sinor was very good and Johanessen stood out also.

The big name players that Godden attracted to the club ultimately didn't work out. Wundke, Stewart and Lewis all look done. Little things like Stewart not chasing and Petrenko not putting his hands up on the mark when a player was kicking for goal from 50m illustrated the Eagles were not doing everything that is needed at this time of year, when only performances above and beyond get rewarded.

A resigned feeling more than disappointment for mine. As much for this game as the competition as a whole coming in to next week. Well done Sturt and good luck next week.

Sturt a worthy Grand Finalist made easier for them by the fact they were playing a club with the heart the size of a pea.

To address over Summer:

1. Recruit a ruckman who can get their hands to the ball so our midfielders have a chance to get the ball of out centre
2. Somehow get hold of a long kicking midfielder who can punch the ball forward accurately, low and hard.
3. Do not ever play J Hayes as a backup ruckman. He plays as a tall forward where he can be allowed to develop or he doesn't play at all.
4. Work on footskills. They are simply appalling.
5. Retire 3-4 of the main players who have a history of letting us down in big games.
6. For god sake change the gameplan. Godden seems to be playing a style that Bassett deployed successfully 4-5 years ago. Teams have moved on from that.
7. Recruit a player or players that will allow us to kick more than 6-7 goals per match ffs.

The club is passionless and just going through the motions much like the SANFL comp as a whole.
No one and I mean no one associated with the Eagles was relishing the chance to play in this years Grand Final.
If the Eagles had any real ambition to be the top club in the SANFL ,would they keep giving Godden contract extensions for a terrible finals
Record in the last six years? And No wonder hardly anyone bothers to go anymore, the entrance costs are a joke for the product now on offer!
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby LMA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 am

johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:

:roll: Magpies, Power, call them what the **** you want, but they are still an AFL Reserves squad.

You could also say Magpies, Power, call them what the **** you want, but they are still Port Adelaide
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 am

LMA wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:

You could also say Magpies, Power, call them what the **** you want, but they are still Port Adelaide

The Cuckoo's would be more appropriate.

The parent cuckoo, by stealth, puts its bastard egg in another birds nest which is then conned into looking after the interloper.
The cuckoo chick is at least 3 times bigger than the sovereign chicks who, one by one are squeezed out leaving the cuckoo's chick as the biggest and strongest in the nest. Meanwhile the parent birds continue to nurture the cuckoo chick seemingly oblivious to the damage it's doing until it's too late and all the sovereign chicks are dead and the nest is abandoned.

Hang on a minute............
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby northerner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

The way I see it is the Eagles form over the last six weeks was about how I expected them to be all year. Their first 4 months was definitely a case of over-achieving, and Gooden deserves credit for that.
Definitely not enough players who hurt oppositions on the scoreboard.... some great defenders and some mids who accumulate without having an effect on the game.

Sturt have proven to be more than a one-season wonder. Mattner is one of the very few coaches who are not obsessed with the all-out chip and possess style of game. Excellent mids, and a good spread of talls.

As for this week? The SANFL are damned whatever the result... if Port win there will be the uproar that there should be. If they lose, the question of integrity will be raised..... "Do AFL-based players care enough about a SANFL Premiership?"
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby LMA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:58 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:

The Cuckoo's would be more appropriate.

The parent cuckoo, by stealth, puts its bastard egg in another birds nest which is then conned into looking after the interloper.
The cuckoo chick is at least 3 times bigger than the sovereign chicks who, one by one are squeezed out leaving the cuckoo's chick as the biggest and strongest in the nest. Meanwhile the parent birds continue to nurture the cuckoo chick seemingly oblivious to the damage it's doing until it's too late and all the sovereign chicks are dead and the nest is abandoned.

Hang on a minute............

The Doco I watched, the 8 parent Cuckoo's, by democracy, had to vote to accept the bastard egg.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm

How do the Eags folks view Godden going forward, he's just recently ( this year ) signed on until the end of '19.

Has he held onto a few blokes at league level for too long?

Lewis looked to be flat out paddling yesterday, previously was a prime mover through the middle with run, carry and a penetrating left foot.

Poole, McGregor and Goldsworthy all in the side and the team lacks forward pressure, are they fast enough to get to the contest Wundke provides?

The Eagles had about 60 more touches than Sturt yesterday, but about 90 more handballs, when you've got Wundke up forward wanting to present and offer a contest surely you move the ball quickly to his advantage?

It baffles me a little, I think Woodville Oval is about the hardest place to go and win and Woodville ( with a quick Google search ) is 175m long, Adelaide Oval tells me 167m long, so similar dimensions and I've always felt the size of Woodville is an advantage.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brendan M » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 am

Woodville oval is very skinny (110) v Adelaide (123) - perhaps lends itself to more direct football. On Sunday we certainly got lost going sideways in the backline too often. Comments from WWT people on this site are spot on. Osborne the most influential player on the ground, he had little opposition and set up Sturt's domination. Surprising thing was that we were that close into the last - some excellent defending and a lot of spirit. Some player movement out could free up our budget to pick up some skilful hard nuts to complement our talented young players. Might need some 'hard decisions', but sentiment won't win us another flag.
Brendan M
Rookie

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:31 am

Booney wrote:How do the Eags folks view Godden going forward, he's just recently ( this year ) signed on until the end of '19.

Lewis looked to be flat out paddling yesterday, previously was a prime mover through the middle with run, carry and a penetrating left foot.

Poole, McGregor and Goldsworthy all in the side and the team lacks forward pressure, are they fast enough to get to the contest Wundke provides?

The Eagles had about 60 more touches than Sturt yesterday, but about 90 more handballs, when you've got Wundke up forward wanting to present and offer a contest surely you move the ball quickly to his advantage?

It baffles me a little, I think Woodville Oval is about the hardest place to go and win and Woodville ( with a quick Google search ) is 175m long, Adelaide Oval tells me 167m long, so similar dimensions and I've always felt the size of Woodville is an advantage.

Looks like the Eagles never replaced Ainger. No CHF presence
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:31 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Booney wrote:How do the Eags folks view Godden going forward, he's just recently ( this year ) signed on until the end of '19.

Looks like the Eagles never replaced Ainger. No CHF presence

More like never replaced Grocke. Spot on though, the movement from the midfield through half forward has killed the Eagles in all the big games for the last 6 years.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL