26%
Not Voting
14%

Total votes : 57

Re: What is your vote

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:WUB, would you be opposed to the law being passed instantly, and it being called a "civil union" with identical legalities as marriage?

Or does it have to be called "marriage" or nothing?

So, Mr and Mr or Mrs and Mrs, you can have the same rights as us but you can't call it the same thing?

I'd be pissed too!

Why?

You'd forego what you're fighting for over a word?

We're talking about equality for human beings and there's no way in hell that I'd support a movement fighting for equality when they'd be willing to take a little less just to get it across the line.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby MW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 pm

tipper wrote:
MW wrote:I say again, you're kidding aren't you?

no. i dont see any smilies in my post.

how is that forcing their views on the no side?

All good tipper. Play on.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm

MW wrote:
tipper wrote:
MW wrote:I say again, you're kidding aren't you?

no. i dont see any smilies in my post.

how is that forcing their views on the no side?

All good tipper. Play on.

not answering the question then?

i get that for many reasons, people dont believe in ssm. however, i dont get voting no about it. it doesnt affect them, but by voting no they are actively trying to force their beliefs onto people they dont even know (although id bet pretty well everyone knows someone who is gay, they just might not know it) yet some of the no voting believers are the very first people to squeal about others affecting them. its more than a little hipocritical
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm

tipper wrote:
MW wrote:Yes you are married, that's the way it is set up now.
I don't know what the right or wrong set up is, like I said I will be voting yes.
I'm just trying to work out the best way to get around the 'no' voters who are voting 'no' purely on religious beliefs.

tell them to stop forcing their beliefs onto others. i dont force my beliefs onto them. what makes them think they can do it?

Aren't the Christians trying to tell other people that their religion says marriage doesn't include you?

Isn't that exactly "forcing your beliefs" onto people that don't actually care about your religion?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:
tipper wrote:
I don't know what the right or wrong set up is, like I said I will be voting yes.
I'm just trying to work out the best way to get around the 'no' voters who are voting 'no' purely on religious beliefs.

tell them to stop forcing their beliefs onto others. i dont force my beliefs onto them. what makes them think they can do it?

Aren't the Christians trying to tell other people that their religion says marriage doesn't include you?

Isn't that exactly "forcing your beliefs" onto people that don't actually care about your religion?

In turn, isn't telling someone they have to vote yes forcing your opinions on them?

Devils advocate for discussion purposes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:
tipper wrote:

yes. thats my point
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
tipper wrote:

In turn, isn't telling someone they have to vote yes forcing your opinions on them?

never said they had to vote yes Boonster. just that they shouldnt vote no
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 pm

mind...blown
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 pm

tipper wrote:never said they had to vote yes Boonster. just that they shouldnt vote no

If you read back a bit, people have been questioning why people aren't voting.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jase » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 pm

bennymacca wrote:
tipper wrote:

Please don't broad brush stroke all Christians with this...

You will be surprised how many are voting YES...

But lazy stereotypes are just that, Lazy...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Booney wrote:We're talking about equality for human beings and there's no way in hell that I'd support a movement fighting for equality when they'd be willing to take a little less just to get it across the line.

So if the YES side came out and said, "Vote YES for civil unions, with the same legal rights a marriage brings, but its called something different!", you'd vote no? ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:27 pm

HH3 wrote:
tipper wrote:never said they had to vote yes Boonster. just that they shouldnt vote no

If you read back a bit, people have been questioning why people aren't voting.

i actually get that more than i get voting no. some people feel that it doesnt affect them, so are standing aside. fine. but to go out of your way (even if it isnt that far out of your way with this postal vote) to continue to discriminate against others? thats not right.

it would be like voting to continue slavery. or voting against giving women the vote. im not going to ask that "believers" vote yes, i understand why they wouldnt. but to try to force their beliefs onto others is wrong.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:32 pm

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:We're talking about equality for human beings and there's no way in hell that I'd support a movement fighting for equality when they'd be willing to take a little less just to get it across the line.

So if the YES side came out and said, "Vote YES for civil unions, with the same legal rights a marriage brings, but its called something different!", you'd vote no? ;)

That's not a hypothetical even worth entertaining.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:36 pm

While I can respect the way that you can calmly discuss it Tipper, there are others that will go to some lengths to shut down any noise of opposition.

Take Margaret Court for example. While I don't agree with her, all she did was express her opinion, without the vitriol. I don't think it helps society to gang up on people with a different point of view. You end up forcing those views underground. One of these days the politically correct crowd are going to be extremely wrong about something very important, and people who speak out will be few and far between for fear of getting blasted on Twitter/Facebook/YouTube etc. Or have their achievements dragged through the gutter. Society needs to grow up and realise that the line has been drawn too far from center.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Last edited by HH3 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:

That's not a hypothetical even worth entertaining.

I'll take that as a "no comment" then.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Booney wrote:In turn, isn't telling someone they have to vote yes forcing your opinions on them?

nope, because a gay person's ability to get married doesnt affect the lives of those people that want to vote no

HH3 wrote:

but you arent getting equality then. you are getting "you're still different to the rest of us but you can get married too"

Jase wrote:Please don't broad brush stroke all Christians with this...

You will be surprised how many are voting YES...

But lazy stereotypes are just that, Lazy...

the main argument ive heard against gay marriage is a religious one - not all christians are against it as you have pointed out.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:42 pm

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:but you arent getting equality then. you are getting "you're still different to the rest of us but you can get married too"

Isn't that the whole point?

Is Abstudy wrong, because white Australians get Austudy?

You're different than us, but you can get an education too.
Last edited by HH3 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:43 pm

therisingblues wrote:Take Margaret Court for example. While I don't agree with her, all she did was express her opinion, without the vitriol.

I hear what you're saying and agree with it really but people like Margaret Court are free to express their opinions and what the other side often forget is that people are free to express their disagreement too. Do I find her opinion offensive? Yes, it's an antiquated backwards opinion but she's entitled to it.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion