No
26%
Not Voting
14%

Total votes : 57

Re: What is your vote

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:49 pm

therisingblues wrote:
tipper wrote:never said they had to vote yes Boonster. just that they shouldnt vote no

While I can respect the way that you can calmly discuss it Tipper, there are others that will go to some lengths to shut down any noise of opposition.

Take Margaret Court for example. While I don't agree with her, all she did was express her opinion, without the vitriol. I don't think it helps society to gang up on people with a different point of view. You end up forcing those views underground. One of these days the politically correct crowd are going to be extremely wrong about something very important, and people who speak out will be few and far between for fear of getting blasted on Twitter/Facebook/YouTube etc. Or have their achievements dragged through the gutter. Society needs to grow up and realise that the line has been drawn too far from center.

and i dont disagree with anything you have said Theri. im far from politically Correct usually, i just happen to side with the Yes side on this particular topic. im far from an SJW ;) and have actually argued with people that were taking things too far on the Yes side. (one of my mates thought churches should be forced to marry gay couples, till i pointed out that is no different just opposite, to the current situation)

but there are those people on both sides sadly. that doesnt make it right, and it was one of the reasons people tried to stop the public vote (whether plebiscite, or this postal vote) unfortunately this has given the idiots on both sides a platform to spout their crap, and its landing on the rest of us int he middle
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:51 pm

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:We're talking about equality for human beings and there's no way in hell that I'd support a movement fighting for equality when they'd be willing to take a little less just to get it across the line.

So if the YES side came out and said, "Vote YES for civil unions, with the same legal rights a marriage brings, but its called something different!", you'd vote no? ;)

That's not a hypothetical even worth entertaining.

I'll take that as a "no comment" then.

I didn't even want to acknowledge it such is the absurdity of it's context, in my view.

Why would a group of people fighting for human rights, human rights, be willing to negotiate on what it is that they are entirely entitled too? They just wouldn't, so it's pointless.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Gozu wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Take Margaret Court for example. While I don't agree with her, all she did was express her opinion, without the vitriol.

I hear what you're saying and agree with it really but people like Margaret Court are free to express their opinions and what the other side often forget is that people are free to express their disagreement too. Do I find her opinion offensive? Yes, it's an antiquated backwards opinion but she's entitled to it.

exactly. she is entitled to her opinion, just as people are entitled to disagree with it. some however take disagreement too far and devolve into threats and witchunting. unfortunately the "no" side have latched onto instances of this to try to leverage it as a reason to vote no. however it happens to "yes" voters too, its just less reported from what i have seen
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:56 pm

tipper wrote:
Gozu wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Take Margaret Court for example. While I don't agree with her, all she did was express her opinion, without the vitriol.

I hear what you're saying and agree with it really but people like Margaret Court are free to express their opinions and what the other side often forget is that people are free to express their disagreement too. Do I find her opinion offensive? Yes, it's an antiquated backwards opinion but she's entitled to it.

exactly. she is entitled to her opinion, just as people are entitled to disagree with it. some however take disagreement too far and devolve into threats and witchunting. unfortunately the "no" side have latched onto instances of this to try to leverage it as a reason to vote no. however it happens to "yes" voters too, its just less reported from what i have seen

Im sure if there was a case of someone harassing someone else for voting yes, the "news" services would be all over it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:59 pm

HH3 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:but you arent getting equality then. you are getting "you're still different to the rest of us but you can get married too"

Isn't that the whole point?

Is Abstudy wrong, because white Australians get Austudy?

You're different than us, but you can get an education too.

so you want them to draw up a piece of legislation to get around some people's traditional definition of a word, even though it doesnt mean that in a legal context, instead of just removing a single sentence that John Howard added 20 years ago?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:01 pm

As I've said on here numerous times and with zero response, "how does two people getting married affect them directly, regardless of gender"

That's what baffles me about the no voters, haven't given one decent answer. So any other reasoning regarding a no vote is either spiteful or sheer ignorance.

The majority are voting (well it's really an opinion poll) for the a topic which has zero affect on them... And unfortunately if it doesn't go the way it should the minority will suffer...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:05 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:As I've said on here numerous times and with zero response, "how does two people getting married affect them directly, regardless of gender"

That's what baffles me about the no voters, haven't given one decent answer. So any other reasoning regarding a no vote is either spiteful or sheer ignorance.

The majority are voting (well it's really an opinion poll) for the a topic which has zero affect on them... And unfortunately if it doesn't go the way it should the minority will suffer...

it doesnt affect them. thats why things such as the abuse they may have copped comes up because its the only tangible thing they have
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm sick and tired of constantly hearing and reading why i should vote no/yes and how if i don't vote "correctly", how that makes me a bad person or wrong.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:I'm sick and tired of constantly hearing and reading why i should vote no/yes and how if i don't vote "correctly", how that makes me a bad person or wrong.

because you dont like being challenged on your opinions?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 pm

HH3 wrote:
tipper wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Im sure if there was a case of someone harassing someone else for voting yes, the "news" services would be all over it.

and there are news stories on it. they just seem to get less air time than the poor religious person being targeted.

and please dont think i agree with some of the crap dished out by the yes side. disagree with people, yes, certainly. but threats? and all the other crap is taking it way to far. the end doesnt justify the means.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:13 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:That's what baffles me about the no voters, haven't given one decent answer.

Hmm not sure that's entirely true... but most have failed to articulate their views into a decent answer lol.

From what i can gather, with the no voters, it doesn't even seem to be about SSM, but the potential for programs such as safe schools to gain traction, gender fluidity to become the norm, transgender rights etc becoming more forced, legal battles and cases increasing over defamation or discrimination e.g churches refusing to marry same sex couples.

Things like people like Red Ruby Rose pushing for Fathers Day to be renamed Special Persons Day increasing.

That SSM legalised will just be a stepping stone to LGBT activists pushing towards a much larger and wider sex/gender revolution.

I think it's fear more than anything.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:14 pm

tipper wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Roughly younger people are going to be closer to the 'yes' vote and older people closer to the 'no' vote so I don't think that is any surprise. The 'yes' vote are younger likely to be at or recent graduate of university however the 'no' vote likely to be religious, older more fearful of a changing world which is what happens with older people. Their 'beliefs' once universal in the community are now being eroded which no doubt makes them feel irrelevant like they're being pushed out of society. I don't think it's really a straight up 'no I don't want to see gay people getting married' most of them would know gay people and likely be friendly with them but think it's more about a large block of people having a cornerstone 'belief' they've had for 60-70-80 years now being told it is 'wrong'.

I'm sure women getting the right to vote or Aboriginal people being granted the status of human beings and not fauna faced plenty of opposition from older people at the time too. There is no real justification for gay people not being allowed to marry and denying them of that right is not just unfair but cruel and even if it doesn't pass now it will soon enough and like past social changes the world won't come to an end and people will look back and say what was all that about.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:
The Bedge wrote:I'm sick and tired of constantly hearing and reading why i should vote no/yes and how if i don't vote "correctly", how that makes me a bad person or wrong.

Haha! Not at all, in fact generally I enjoy it. I'm just tired of having crap pushed in my face.

What i mean, is for those pushing the 'no' agenda when i challenge them suddenly they challenge my character and decision making ability and carry on like idiots.. same thing for the 'yes' agenda lol.

FWIW I voted yes, it doesn't bother me one bit.. all i'm getting at is don't act like i'm the worlds worst person and have no brain or "my childrens best interest at heart" because i chose against what you (not you personally but no/yes voters) believe.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:18 pm

No voters - "It's ok to vote no".. but it's not ok to vote yes.
Yes votes - "vote yes for equality".. but if you vote no you're a bigot homophobe piece of shit
The Bedge
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:20 pm

The Bedge wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Haha! Not at all, in fact generally I enjoy it. I'm just tired of having crap pushed in my face.

What i mean, is for those pushing the 'no' agenda when i challenge them suddenly they challenge my character and decision making ability and carry on like idiots.. same thing for the 'yes' agenda lol.

FWIW I voted yes, it doesn't bother me one bit.. all i'm getting at is don't act like i'm the worlds worst person and have no brain or "my childrens best interest at heart" because i chose against what you (not you personally but no/yes voters) believe.

yeah good post. and thats the problem with this vote - it just gives the hyperbolic rubbish from both sides way more airtime than it should.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:No voters - "It's ok to vote no".. but it's not ok to vote yes.
Yes votes - "vote yes for equality".. but if you vote no you're a bigot homophobe piece of shit

this may be true - but its because one side is voting on things that directly affect them, the other side is mostly voting on things that affect others.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Gozu wrote:
tipper wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Roughly younger people are going to be closer to the 'yes' vote and older people closer to the 'no' vote so I don't think that is any surprise. The 'yes' vote are younger likely to be at or recent graduate of university however the 'no' vote likely to be religious, older more fearful of a changing world which is what happens with older people. Their 'beliefs' once universal in the community are now being eroded which no doubt makes them feel irrelevant like they're being pushed out of society. I don't think it's really a straight up 'no I don't want to see gay people getting married' most of them would know gay people and likely be friendly with them but think it's more about a large block of people having a cornerstone 'belief' they've had for 60-70-80 years now being told it is 'wrong'.

I'm sure women getting the right to vote or Aboriginal people being granted the status of human beings and not fauna faced plenty of opposition from older people at the time too. There is no real justification for gay people not being allowed to marry and denying them of that right is not just unfair but cruel and even if it doesn't pass now it will soon enough and like past social changes the world won't come to an end and people will look back and say what was all that about.

yep exactly. and it is why people use phrases like "bullied" or "forced" - because they feel like they are losing a bit of control
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Am I sick of the term "bullied" or what?

Grow up in the 80's as a fat kid with a single mother on welfare in the West of Adelaide and have an outwardly gay older sister who started the fights for you. Bullied, get ******.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Booney wrote:Am I sick of the term "bullied" or what?

Grow up in the 80's as a fat kid with a single mother on welfare in the West of Adelaide and have an outwardly gay older sister who started the fights for you. Bullied, get ******.

and barrack for port
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:34 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:Am I sick of the term "bullied" or what?

and barrack for port

Late 80's was ok, I lost weight, gained height and Port won 3 in a row. Bully me now, ****.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion