Riverland Football Chatter

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Postby interestedobserver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 am

oldbomber wrote:Thats pretty incredible in a small 6 team comp that only 3 teams are competitive year in year out over the last decade. Had a look on the sports TG website and if correct for some unknown reason loxton north and waikerie still get given 13 points and everyone else only get 15. The intent of the points system was meant to even out leagues over the years so how on earth the rest of the comp only gets 2 more points than the top teams is beyond me and would suggest it has not been implemented correctly for this league.

For example..in the mallee league BDT who have won nearly every premiership since they entered the league are now only allowed 5 points and finally as their strong list gets older they are coming back to the pack a bit. Last years wooden spooners were karoonda. They were given 22 points. They recruited well and returned to finals action for the first time in several years.

RMFL and GSFL would be another two solid examples i can think of where the points systems have been implemented successfully and provided a more even competition over the last 5 years anyway.

Would this help even out the RFL if implemented correctly? Maybe not for a year or two but i beleive it might help in the long term based on seeing its success in the previously mentioned leagues.

So if the points system is meant to equalize the competition why do BMFC, last years grand finalists, get 15 points?
interestedobserver
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby SuperFrank » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:28 am

interestedobserver wrote:
oldbomber wrote:Thats pretty incredible in a small 6 team comp that only 3 teams are competitive year in year out over the last decade. Had a look on the sports TG website and if correct for some unknown reason loxton north and waikerie still get given 13 points and everyone else only get 15. The intent of the points system was meant to even out leagues over the years so how on earth the rest of the comp only gets 2 more points than the top teams is beyond me and would suggest it has not been implemented correctly for this league.

For example..in the mallee league BDT who have won nearly every premiership since they entered the league are now only allowed 5 points and finally as their strong list gets older they are coming back to the pack a bit. Last years wooden spooners were karoonda. They were given 22 points. They recruited well and returned to finals action for the first time in several years.

RMFL and GSFL would be another two solid examples i can think of where the points systems have been implemented successfully and provided a more even competition over the last 5 years anyway.

Would this help even out the RFL if implemented correctly? Maybe not for a year or two but i beleive it might help in the long term based on seeing its success in the previously mentioned leagues.

So if the points system is meant to equalize the competition why do BMFC, last years grand finalists, get 15 points?

That's a fair call but Loxton North could of also had 15 points. From what I understand you have to apply for the extra points from the league, which unless your the premiers you usually get approved.

I am with you on how the points system doesn't seem to be working in principal. But the top 3 clubs in Waikerie, North & BMFC all used under 10 points for the season anyway. So they aren't really abusing the system at this point & from what I'm hearing out of those clubs, points used by those clubs wont really change in 2018, will hardly push 10points. Local core is key for success & the top 4 (including renmark) have a lot of it.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby oldbomber » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:03 pm

interestedobserver wrote:

Great question. Clearly it has not been implemented as well as in other leagues. For example RMFL in the past have averaged regular season wins over previous 2-3 years and adjusted each clubs points accordingly. This year the two murray bridge clubs who have had a lot of recent success were only allocated 6-9 points. Jervois and tailem who have struggled in recent years got 15 and approx 20 pts allocated this year. The result: tailem much improved won a few games this year finished ahead of 1 murray bridge club. Jervois play off for a spot in gf this weekend having already knocked out the other murray bridge based club. It has been implemented well and is evening up this comp for sure but has taken 3-4 years.

As stated though some of the stronger teams have a solid local player base in which case good on them and it may take a few years for the points system to have an effect on this league.

Without knowing heaps about riverland footy over the last few years a possible scenario for next year could involve something like this waikerie 7pts loxton north 9 pts barmera 11 pts renmark 13 pts loxton and berri 15 points plus extra approved if they recruit well and apply. This would need to be continually adjusted over a 3 year period however to be fairer.

Might take years for this to even out RFL. It is definately not an instant fix but if implemented correctly for the league i beleive the comp would be more even and sustainable in the long term. But thats only what i think!
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby suddenimpact » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 am

Maybe a few of these clubs need to recruit a little wiser or put there efforts into developing their juniors for the future instead of looking for the quick fix.
You make your bed you lie in it!
suddenimpact
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Nuriootpa

Postby SuperFrank » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:30 pm

suddenimpact wrote:Maybe a few of these clubs need to recruit a little wiser or put there efforts into developing their juniors for the future instead of looking for the quick fix.

Couldn't agree more!!!

But as an entire league, we are falling a fair way behind other leagues like Hills, Southern & RMFL. Interleague/State Champ representation is sliding drastically & with the regions current financial situation plus the travel side of things...... Making it hard for all RFL clubs to stay as a top end SA Country League.

Or am I pretty far off here?
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby norwood8 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:36 pm

SuperFrank wrote:
suddenimpact wrote:Maybe a few of these clubs need to recruit a little wiser or put there efforts into developing their juniors for the future instead of looking for the quick fix.

Couldn't agree more!!!

But as an entire league, we are falling a fair way behind other leagues like Hills, Southern & RMFL. Interleague/State Champ representation is sliding drastically & with the regions current financial situation plus the travel side of things...... Making it hard for all RFL clubs to stay as a top end SA Country League.

Or am I pretty far off here?

Although I only catch a couple of games a year when I'm up visiting friends in the Riverland, I've noticed a gradual decline in the standard of the RFL in the last five years. A huge part of this has to be economically related. The high percentage of young males moving to the city and showing little or no desire to return is a concern. I seriously can't comprehend how your independents stay afloat, would be a tough job getting a team together with the small population pool.

Hats off to any country club who can get their juniors back from the city (even if it's just for the game on a Saturday).
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby SuperFrank » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Looks to be a few Riverland boys playing in the Senior & Reserves GF tomorrow for Hahndorf in Hills Div 1

Dave Hankin going in for the 3peat & Nick's first for Hahndorf seniors.

Would love to see the boys back in the RFL real soon!!!
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby SuperFrank » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Are we expecting any coaching changes for 2018?

North & Renmark the only clubs to maybe make a change? Hearing a few little whispers Scott Lewis may have put his hand up to player coach North for 2018 but tuff to see Rambo getting moved on after making a GF.

Waikerie, Barmera-Monash, Berri & Loxton all locked in with their Senior coaches at this stage.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby DARK KNIGHT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 pm

SuperFrank wrote:Are we expecting any coaching changes for 2018?

North & Renmark the only clubs to maybe make a change? Hearing a few little whispers Scott Lewis may have put his hand up to player coach North for 2018 but tuff to see Rambo getting moved on after making a GF.

Waikerie, Barmera-Monash, Berri & Loxton all locked in with their Senior coaches at this stage.

Not sure Rambo is safe at North the faithful wouldn't be happy plus Barmera moved him on after a GF loss in 2015
DARK KNIGHT
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times

Postby SuperFrank » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Hearing talk of Ben Yeomen heading back to town......

Sad to hear if true, the bloke has some serious talent!!!
Last edited by SuperFrank on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby SuperFrank » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am

Shane Uren re-appointed for 2018 at Loxton North by the sounds.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby SuperFrank » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:48 pm

All RFL coaches are locked in with no changes from last season.

Couple changes in the independent's so far:
Lyrup - Anthony Lippis
Paringa - Tom Wood

Will there be any more changes in independent's?
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:50 pm

SuperFrank wrote:All RFL coaches are locked in with no changes from last season.

Lyrup - Anthony Lippis
Paringa - Tom Wood

Jamie Ocallaghan had to withdraw from Ramco job this week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:39 am

SuperFrank wrote:All RFL coaches are locked in with no changes from last season.

Lyrup - Anthony Lippis
Paringa - Tom Wood

Yep
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am

Bum Crack wrote:

Lyrup - Anthony Lippis
Paringa - Tom Wood

Yep
Three players taken over from smith at bw. Mawe, berger and 1 other i think

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby SuperFrank » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am

Few interesting clearances entered........

Loxton - Adelaide Footy League Yeomans, Benjamin Pending 2017-11-03
Loxton North - Mallee Football League (SA) Brown, Nathan Pending 2017-11-01
Barmera Monash - Adelaide Footy League Fisher, Jacob Denied 2017-11-01 2017-11-07

Plus plenty of outs for Lyrup & Ramco.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 am

Lyrup - Anthony Lippis
Paringa - Tom Wood

Don’t think BSR have a coach at this stage
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:17 pm

What's going on at Lyrup? Mass exodus by the looks of it and I hear there are quite a few more leaving who haven't lodged clearances yet.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby DARK KNIGHT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Bum Crack wrote:What's going on at Lyrup? Mass exodus by the looks of it and I hear there are quite a few more leaving who haven't lodged clearances yet.

yeah not sure, has to be a problem there some where, A grade clubs better lock up their B graders.
they will need to get players from some where to cover the 11 outs so far.
Ramco could also be in the same boat, seems all Adelaide players are departing
DARK KNIGHT
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:51 pm

DARK KNIGHT wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:What's going on at Lyrup? Mass exodus by the looks of it and I hear there are quite a few more leaving who haven't lodged clearances yet.

yeah not sure, has to be a problem there some where, A grade clubs better lock up their B graders.
they will need to get players from some where to cover the 11 outs so far.
Ramco could also be in the same boat, seems all Adelaide players are departing

Think the Lyrup problem may be due to the coaching appointment :lol: :lol:
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy