The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:59 pm

LMA wrote:FFS you lot, why deprive yourself of enjoyment. We all do stuff in our life that we don't necessarily agree with whether it be for loved ones, employment or whatever. I don't like the path PAFC took by giving up a rich, historic talent zone to the Eagles to keep their AFL players together but I will never stop supporting them for the sheer fact I am a football fan and they are my club.

There are far bigger and real problems in this state, country and world than a potential 38 listed AFL players playing in any given week of the SANFL, to deprive your family and friends of your company at a social gathering like football is selfish IMO and will be looked back on with regret

I have a bit of time for what you put on here, but this post simply shows you just don't get it.
You've barely been affected, just for once I'd love for you to put yourself in our shoes but we all know that won't happen.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Spargo wrote:
LMA wrote:FFS you lot, why deprive yourself of enjoyment. We all do stuff in our life that we don't necessarily agree with whether it be for loved ones, employment or whatever. I don't like the path PAFC took by giving up a rich, historic talent zone to the Eagles to keep their AFL players together but I will never stop supporting them for the sheer fact I am a football fan and they are my club.

There are far bigger and real problems in this state, country and world than a potential 38 listed AFL players playing in any given week of the SANFL, to deprive your family and friends of your company at a social gathering like football is selfish IMO and will be looked back on with regret

I have a bit of time for what you put on here, but this post simply shows you just don't get it.
You've barely been affected, just for once I'd love for you to put yourself in our shoes but we all know that won't happen.
Or put yourself in the shoes of a semi professional player at the 8 genuine league clubs. Go to work for 8 or more hours digging trenches or crunching numbers, head to training in the dark spend 2 hours on the track 3 times per week and front up on the weekend to play on an opponent that does it for a full time job.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Rising Power » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:44 pm

heater31 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Or put yourself in the shoes of a semi professional player at the 8 genuine league clubs. Go to work for 8 or more hours digging trenches or crunching numbers, head to training in the dark spend 2 hours on the track 3 times per week and front up on the weekend to play on an opponent that does it for a full time job.

And then win the premiership.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby StrayDog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Rising Power wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

And then win the premiership.

Against a side that was taking up a Grand Final spot in lieu of one of those other seven semi-professional clubs that don't see someone else's flag as their ultimate goal. Again.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Testament to the greatness of the achievement.
I dare say no Marty Mattner, and Port would have run all over us, nay, we probably wouldn't have even been there and you would have been dealing with Central.

That aside, I will acknowledge that most of the Port fans I met during the finals series really wanted that SANFL flag, and showed a lot of passion at the GF. Cannot say for certain how many Crows fans would turn up to see their team if it made a SANFL GF and what level of engagement they would have with the game. But for me, this is a major part of footy, if you have a representative side in a competition and you don't give a damn if that side wins or loses and the whole competition in your eyes is a bit of a bore then I want you to **** off, pronto. Port showed so much more than that at this year's GF, and (all of the other issues to one side) my respect for that club has grown, proportionately.
A handful of posters have come on here consistently unable to understand how passion could matter so much in a competition. They take it for granted in the AFL, they don't notice its absence because they are surrounded by it, and I must be speaking fairy tales when I mention it. But I have faith that a few thousand Port fans now realise how important it is, as they rediscovered their passion for the Magpies this year.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LPH » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 pm

WOW... advice from someone who has NEVER had to deal with losing anything. The Magpies were on the brink of extinction in 2010/11 - an absolute 'basket case' with their hands out for $$$ from future AFL dividends, which the SANFL duly paid. Then (thanks to Sanderson, Chapman & Trigg) they get an automatic boost (of which Summerton bemoaned initially) by making 'The One Club' BS & parachuting 20 of 21 AFL listed Players into the 'Magpies' for 2014 & low & behold, they make the GF v Norwood, only to be beaten by a kick (& again 3 years later) this time by Sturt.

If that's not enough, due to the Drafting of the 2016 SANFL Leading Goal Kicker from a rival Club in South Adelaide, they get the BEST Forward in the League for no cost! And you have the audacity to mention Zones as an issue FFS! You don't need Zones when you can steal players who you have no intention of playing consistently in the AFL side. This is NOT about anything other than the fact that MY Club (like 5 other Clubs) voted Yes, without putting it to the Members for a vote. This very issue was raised as 1 of the many concerns we had. Integrity? Compromise? Fairness?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LMA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:41 am

LPH wrote:

WOW... advice from someone who has NEVER had to deal with losing anything. The Magpies were on the brink of extinction in 2010/11 - an absolute 'basket case' with their hands out for $$$ from future AFL dividends, which the SANFL duly paid. Then (thanks to Sanderson, Chapman & Trigg) they get an automatic boost (of which Summerton bemoaned initially) by making 'The One Club' BS & parachuting 20 of 21 AFL listed Players into the 'Magpies' for 2014 & low & behold, they make the GF v Norwood, only to be beaten by a kick (& again 3 years later) this time by Sturt.

If that's not enough, due to the Drafting of the 2016 SANFL Leading Goal Kicker from a rival Club in South Adelaide, they get the BEST Forward in the League for no cost! And you have the audacity to mention Zones as an issue FFS! You don't need Zones when you can steal players who you have no intention of playing consistently in the AFL side. This is NOT about anything other than the fact that MY Club (like 5 other Clubs) voted Yes, without putting it to the Members for a vote. This very issue was raised as 1 of the many concerns we had. Integrity? Compromise? Fairness?

Two very different perspectives of LOSS here. Footy has been in my life for nearly 40 years it has caused pain and joy but at the end of the day its only a game. You seem a passionate person with strong ideals but perhaps it's time to fully get off the fence it has been 4 years and I can't see it changing anytime soon, the AFL won't be backing a Reserves comp with the development of the AFLW so if you're already boycotting games due to your club's vote why torment yourself in here or by watching/listening to media content.

Yes PAFC has been on it's knees and received handouts, proud organizations do whatever it takes to survive much like the Eagles merger. As for Port recruiting players with no intention of playing them for the purpose of strengthening the Magpies, what utter BS. As I have said on here before it's the same group of people telling me that the Power recruit, or in your words steal, to strengthen the Magpies for premiership success then they tell me that they're only there for development and don't care about winning.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:47 am

Just remember not all of us go as a protest, I tried to embtace the new comp with the two AFL sides but just gradually lost interest because of the different sets of rules for different clubs.
I miss catching up with mate but haven't deprived myself of any enjoyment, just found it in other places, usually the pub. I'd be depriving myself of enjoyment if I forced myself to go to SANFL games.
If it wasn't for this forum, my daughter being a physio for South and the SANFL playing on Good Friday I'd have zero interest.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LMA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:51 am

Spargo wrote:

It is very hard to put yourself in one's shoes even if we do it's usually token. For that reason, is why we have debate, opinions and disagreement on such platform's like this one. Nothing personal
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Pseudo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am

LPH wrote:

I humbly suggest that it is possible to maintain the no-garbage-teams stance without depriving oneself of enjoyment. I personally still attend some Bays games - but as a casual supporter, not a member - and NEVER at games involving afl garbage. Giving up on games altogether runs contrary to the spirit of the stance; if one cannot enjoy a game between two sovereign clubs for what it is then the point of campaigning for a pure league is lost.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:55 pm

SANFL very happy with Grand Final attendance lots of back slapping and happiness everything is quite rosy.

LOL have a read.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... cea0e4a424
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Behind a Murdoch paywall :

SANFL chief Adam Kelly says the league’s largest grand final attendance in 19 years has cemented its position as the country’s most loved state-based football competition.

Sunday’s premiership decider attracted 39,813 fans to Adelaide Oval to witness Sturt secure back-to-back flags with a thrilling one-point triumph over Port Adelaide.

The attendance was the biggest for a SANFL grand final since 44,838 turned up at Football Park in 1998 to watch the same two clubs battle it out.

It was also more than the combined crowd for Sunday’s VFL and WAFL deciders.

“We were extremely happy with the day,” SANFL general manager Kelly said.

“It was a great signature occasion for the SANFL and it was great to see the South Australian people come out and celebrate the competition.

“One thing we can be rightfully proud of is that we have the (state league) competition with the most public interest.

“We have a unique place when it comes to state league competitions across the land and as far as public interest is concerned, we’re certainly the number one.”

The SANFL crowd was more than double the 18,180 which saw Peel Thunder defeat Subiaco in Sunday’s WAFL grand final.

It far surpassed the 17,159 crowd for Port Melbourne’s four-point triumph over Richmond at Etihad Stadium in the VFL decider.

The Adelaide Oval clash also attracted a bigger crowd than both of the weekend’s NRL preliminary finals, which drew 28,821 and 28,108.

Kelly said the atmosphere at the famous venue, which reached fever pitch when Port levelled the scores midway through the final quarter.

“That’s the unique part of SANFL grand final day,” Kelly said. “You can get an attendance that is somewhat like an AFL attendance, yet you’ve got that bipartisan support.

“To have a 40,000 crowd and have that support shared almost 50-50 created a really unique atmosphere.”

Kelly said crowds throughout the finals were up 23 per cent.

He said the league would look to schedule more Sunday games in 2018 to boost attendances during the minor round.

“I’m not signifying that we’ll shift a lot to Sunday, but try and get better balance,” he said.

“Sunday games were better attended in season 2017 and we’ve certainly learned something out of how appealing they are for young families.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:34 pm

All bullshit aside... if the Magpies was not the Power's reserves, they would have gotten 45,000 plus to this year's grand final.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:41 pm

therisingblues wrote:All bullshit aside... if the Magpies was not the Power's reserves, they would have gotten 45,000 plus to this year's grand final.

Sturt v Eagles 45,000 plus? Where were you finding 16,000 people?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Booney wrote:Behind a Murdoch paywall :

SANFL chief Adam Kelly says the league’s largest grand final attendance in 19 years has cemented its position as the country’s most loved state-based football competition.

Sunday’s premiership decider attracted 39,813 fans to Adelaide Oval to witness Sturt secure back-to-back flags with a thrilling one-point triumph over Port Adelaide.

The attendance was the biggest for a SANFL grand final since 44,838 turned up at Football Park in 1998 to watch the same two clubs battle it out.

It was also more than the combined crowd for Sunday’s VFL and WAFL deciders.

“We were extremely happy with the day,” SANFL general manager Kelly said.

“It was a great signature occasion for the SANFL and it was great to see the South Australian people come out and celebrate the competition.

“One thing we can be rightfully proud of is that we have the (state league) competition with the most public interest.

“We have a unique place when it comes to state league competitions across the land and as far as public interest is concerned, we’re certainly the number one.”

The SANFL crowd was more than double the 18,180 which saw Peel Thunder defeat Subiaco in Sunday’s WAFL grand final.

It far surpassed the 17,159 crowd for Port Melbourne’s four-point triumph over Richmond at Etihad Stadium in the VFL decider.

The Adelaide Oval clash also attracted a bigger crowd than both of the weekend’s NRL preliminary finals, which drew 28,821 and 28,108.

Kelly said the atmosphere at the famous venue, which reached fever pitch when Port levelled the scores midway through the final quarter.

“That’s the unique part of SANFL grand final day,” Kelly said. “You can get an attendance that is somewhat like an AFL attendance, yet you’ve got that bipartisan support.

“To have a 40,000 crowd and have that support shared almost 50-50 created a really unique atmosphere.”

Kelly said crowds throughout the finals were up 23 per cent.

He said the league would look to schedule more Sunday games in 2018 to boost attendances during the minor round.

“I’m not signifying that we’ll shift a lot to Sunday, but try and get better balance,” he said.

“Sunday games were better attended in season 2017 and we’ve certainly learned something out of how appealing they are for young families.”

Apparently one swallow does make a summer then, contrary to the time-honoured saying.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm trying to understand those increased crowds for the finals - as that's not what I saw in the first two weeks.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Wedgie wrote:I miss catching up with mate.

Got that bit right
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I'm trying to understand those increased crowds for the finals - as that's not what I saw in the first two weeks.

Simple my friend if you are an SANFL CLUB MEMBER and attended every home game you would of received 2 free passes from the SANFL for all finals including the Grand Final all for your loyalty.

I gave mine away NOT interested in watching the AFL RESERVES IMPOSTERS ( MAGPIES )

So I would say over half the pundits there had these free passes plus all the the other free tickets handed out on the day.

Well done to all involved.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Rising Power » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I'm trying to understand those increased crowds for the finals - as that's not what I saw in the first two weeks.

Grand Finals tend to lure a few people out of the woodwork.

An old guy behind me was going mental at the umpires every time the last touch rule came into play so that's probably an indicator of when he last attended a SANFL game. Plus there were thousands of families with young kids. I personally know of 3 sets of friends who brought their kids for their first time at the footy because they thought it would be a lower crowd.

And yes, free tickets with added benefits of free public transport and a McShitburger help.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Rising Power wrote:

Grand Finals tend to lure a few people out of the woodwork.

An old guy behind me was going mental at the umpires every time the last touch rule came into play so that's probably an indicator of when he last attended a SANFL game. Plus there were thousands of families with young kids. I personally know of 3 sets of friends who brought their kids for their first time at the footy because they thought it would be a lower crowd.

And yes, free tickets with added benefits of free public transport and a McShitburger help.

That's the grand final. That always generates a bigger crowd - was the finals crowd increase based entirely around that game?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL