2017 Off-Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2017 Off-Season

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:13 pm

bennymacca wrote:Brett burton on trade radio. Says that levers’ Melbourne contract would have made him easily highest paid player at the crows.

The crows offer was less but still would have put him right up there in our payment structure.

(Reported 800k vs 600k)

You would think that he would be close to Melbourne’s highest paid player too. If Melbourne want to get him they need to stump it up

800k isn't huge anymore.
You will get a first and second rounder for him and that's about it I'd imagine
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:Brett burton on trade radio. Says that levers’ Melbourne contract would have made him easily highest paid player at the crows.

The crows offer was less but still would have put him right up there in our payment structure.

(Reported 800k vs 600k)

You would think that he would be close to Melbourne’s highest paid player too. If Melbourne want to get him they need to stump it up

So where's all the Crows dollars going, are the old girls in the canteen holding out on them?
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby MW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Jim05 wrote:

(Reported 800k vs 600k)

800k isn't huge anymore.

It is for a 3rd year player and id suggest its more than 800k.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:18 pm

MW wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

(Reported 800k vs 600k)

800k isn't huge anymore.

It is for a 3rd year player and id suggest its more than 800k.

Plenty of clubs have tons of cap room so can afford to pay a bit more to attract players.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby carey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 pm

It's an outrageous amount of money for a bloke who simply can't defend. When Lever has to defend I'd have Kelly well in front of him. Yes, he plays the loose man role well but, would you pay $800+ for a bloke to play loose man in defense? I certainly wouldn't.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Gozu » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:33 pm

carey wrote:It's an outrageous amount of money for a bloke who simply can't defend. When Lever has to defend I'd have Kelly well in front of him. Yes, he plays the loose man role well but, would you pay $800+ for a bloke to play loose man in defense? I certainly wouldn't.

Agreed, if Melbourne want to pay him that amount of money good luck to him glad the Crows weren't silly enough to do it.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:33 pm

hawks21 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Or it might be as simple that an ordinary Victorian team wants to pay way overs and continue to wreck the culture of their club.

If the reported $300k a year difference is correct I for one cannot blame him

Please stop reading/listening to 2nd rate victorian media journalist twitter accounts.

The average wage for an AFL footballer this year was 300k and going up 20% next year.

Our offer was around 650-700k per year which is far from low balling!

Didn’t listen to anyone except Brett Burton head of football who said he was leaving for monetary reasons
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm

carey wrote:It's an outrageous amount of money for a bloke who simply can't defend. When Lever has to defend I'd have Kelly well in front of him. Yes, he plays the loose man role well but, would you pay $800+ for a bloke to play loose man in defense? I certainly wouldn't.

when we played Essendon Talia had kept Daniher quiet ad then when they swapped Lever to him Daniher kicked a couple. He still struggles on key forwards, i wouldn't have thought Adelaide's backline suited him perfectly as 3rd option
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby JK » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Exactly some clubs pay overs for Free agents and some clubs pay overs for 'joe the gooses'.

Except he's neither of these, and this is a big problem with the current setup. Benny mentioned the solution recently. Almost (but not quite) feel sorry for the Corporation.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 pm

JK wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Exactly some clubs pay overs for Free agents and some clubs pay overs for 'joe the gooses'.

Except he's neither of these, and this is a big problem with the current setup. Benny mentioned the solution recently. Almost (but not quite) feel sorry for the Corporation.

I was having a dig at the Crows for paying overs for JJ but not paying overs for Lever ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:38 pm

mighty hounds wrote:

when we played Essendon Talia had kept Daniher quiet ad then when they swapped Lever to him Daniher kicked a couple. He still struggles on key forwards, i wouldn't have thought Adelaide's backline suited him perfectly as 3rd option

He is not a key defender though, he plays a certain role that he is very good at. Good luck go him I say, only get to make these sort of $$$’s for a short time.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby JK » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:38 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:

I was having a dig at the Crows for paying overs for JJ but not paying overs for Lever ;)

Oh my bad, I would never intentionally pull someone up for potting Janet Jenkins .. Carry on mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Brodlach wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

He is not a key defender though, he plays a certain role that he is very good at. Good luck go him I say, only get to make these sort of $$$’s for a short time.

so if the Crows offered him 600K then that tells me we have some money to play with.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby MW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:56 pm

need it to pay Sloane, MCrouch and Laird next year
MW
Coach

Postby Robran » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Can't believe Jake pulled the lever...
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby MW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Robran wrote:Can't believe Jake pulled the lever...

Jake and the Fat Wallet
MW
Coach

Postby TEX07 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:05 pm

100% whenever he needs to play man on man defense he gets beaten. Crows will push for 2 first rounders for sure, a player like Lever alone worth it? not in my opinion. But when you're offering more than $800K/year for him then thats what a $800K+ player is worth and thats what they need to push for.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Robran » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Only my thought but I reckon McGovern could become a very good defender reads the ball through the air very well.
On a side not I bang on but why why why did we sign JJ for so long got a bit of Tippett about him about as useful to the crows as Matthew wade to the Aust cricket side.
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby MW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:10 pm

JJ plays his role and he might look like a KPP but he's not.
If he was 5'10" we'd all be singing his praisrs
MW
Coach

Postby TEX07 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Robran wrote:Only my thought but I reckon McGovern could become a very good defender reads the ball through the air very well.
On a side not I bang on but why why why did we sign JJ for so long got a bit of Tippett about him about as useful to the crows as Matthew wade to the Aust cricket side.

I think we jumped at shadows with JJ to be honest. Really didnt want to lose another player right after PD and knew that there was still others that could have left. He was never going to go to Brisbane IMO - he is still our third target up forward. Up there he is possibly first. He must have a good manager.

Agree on Gov he could go back but to be honest they do have options - Gov was missed up forward saturday.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL