Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby godra » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am

No kidding wrote:
godra wrote:With OSB/L confirmed as leaving the SFL and with Marion essentially all but confirmed as leaving, how do people feel with the Amateur League slowly infiltrating what the maroon coats would certainly classify as "their turf"? On one hand they now have one, possibly two less teams which provided score blow outs to worry about and manage but at the same time, two less teams to bring in revenue. Will all teams be happy with the remaining teams in 2018?

I think the SFL would be genuinely fearful for the future of the league in coming years.

Might help the comp with ordinary sides leaving (Brighton aside)
Get back to a strong division 1 comp like it was years ago

I think you could be right. Standard of footy to increase across all senior levels with top tier teams playing their best sides week in week out, not playing B graders/juniors against the bottom dweller teams.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Hasbeen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:16 pm

godra wrote:
No kidding wrote:
godra wrote:With OSB/L confirmed as leaving the SFL and with Marion essentially all but confirmed as leaving, how do people feel with the Amateur League slowly infiltrating what the maroon coats would certainly classify as "their turf"? On one hand they now have one, possibly two less teams which provided score blow outs to worry about and manage but at the same time, two less teams to bring in revenue. Will all teams be happy with the remaining teams in 2018?

I think the SFL would be genuinely fearful for the future of the league in coming years.

Might help the comp with ordinary sides leaving (Brighton aside)
Get back to a strong division 1 comp like it was years ago

I think you could be right. Standard of footy to increase across all senior levels with top tier teams playing their best sides week in week out, not playing B graders/juniors against the bottom dweller teams.

And someone else gets a chance to get the wooden spoon.
Hasbeen
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Mister Footy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm

I hear Adam Jeffries has left Padthaway - returning to the SFL?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby grumpyoldman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Mister Footy wrote:I hear Adam Jeffries has left Padthaway - returning to the SFL?

Not coming to SFL, apparently going to Daveron Park
grumpyoldman
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby grumpyoldman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Front & Centre wrote:
grumpyoldman wrote:
Keefy wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:Read on the SFL facebook page something happened in the Girls Under 16 GF

Both teams had unqualified players

SFL need to read their by -laws in particular By law 4 , Team Sheets 4.2 i) The Name and number of each participating player. Apparently this was how the HVFC team sheet was therefore players name with number would have been the ones that played. Sounds like the SFL are weak and cant even conform to their own by laws in regards to non qualified players. If its good enough to disqualify Porties A grade then the Christies u/16 girls is no different, can understand the rumour that Porties are looking to leave SFL and go to Adelaide Footy League.

GOM Can I please give you some advice
1- HV made errors and if they apologised to the players and their families maybe the kids wouldn't have been so upset. By dragging it on you are making the club look like fools
2 - I have asked one of the SFL Directors who has been involved about this and apparently HV story changed during the course of the investigation so maybe you need to clarify this with the club
3 - The timing of your post and the facebook post on SFL GF day just highlights that HV didn't have players playing in the biggest day of the SFL year
4 - Club's attention should be on getting an A grade coach. They have known for months that BC wasn't going on and we are all still waiting

Bring on the AGM. I hope someone else will put their hand up so we can get some smart people in charge again

So if a good Coach comes on board then the people in charge all of a sudden become smart or is it bigger than that FC
grumpyoldman
Mini-League

Postby Front & Centre » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 am

GOM the people in charge have done alot of things that don't need to be aired on this forum that have proved they have not acted smartly this year.
They have known for months that Coleman was not continuing and they are still yet to appoint a coach. In the meantime other clubs will be calling our players - this is the key recruitment period.
Maybe they are finding out a club near the bottom of the ladder in a league that has plenty of critics is not an easy coaching job to fill.
Plenty of club people willing to help and have submitted names but I am sure they have not been contacted.
If you think they are smart you must be one of the ones running the club
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby petoe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Down the Hill,
I was wondering your opinion on how you think Brighton would have gone in the SFL this season? against the likes of Flaggies, Shoes and Emus.
And in turn, how would have these types of teams fared in Div 3 or 4 of the SAAFL?
Cheers
petoe
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Animus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:51 pm

petoe wrote:Down the Hill,
I was wondering your opinion on how you think Brighton would have gone in the SFL this season? against the likes of Flaggies, Shoes and Emus.
And in turn, how would have these types of teams fared in Div 3 or 4 of the SAAFL?
Cheers

About the same as they went in Div 3 i reckon petoe ;)
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 pm

FH and Noar appeared to be as strong as any GF teams over recent years so nothing should be taken away from the 2017 season as being just as hard to win as any that came before. Whether the strength and depth of the teams that finished 3rd to 6th were as good as teams that have filled those spots previously is up for debate but losing 2 clubs that could have filled positions in the top 6 may have been a factor.

I'm sure if we were still in the SFL in 2017 we would have been around the mark again. We lost Carger from 2016 but made some good gains which included a quality ruckman and quality tall forward although we wouldn't have been able to entice either if not playing in the AdFL. There were a few other new and returning players that probably made us stronger overall in 2017 and our B grade Premiership team was probably the strongest B grade team I have ever seen us put on the park.

Dont be fooled by the AdFL Divisional system being a true ranking of clubs at any moment in time. In any given year the top clubs in a certain division would likely beat the bottom clubs in the division above and in some cases the top 1 or 2 would be capable of beating most or all teams in the division above. History shows that many clubs have progressed through multiple divisions in consecutive years and gone the other way as well.

The bottom 2 in Div 3 this year were a fair way off the rest so I'm sure any of the top 6 or 7 in the SFL would have been a worthy Div 3 club or higher in the case of FH and Noar considering they both made the B grade GF. Of the 2 teams who made the 2016 Div 3 GF, the runner up (but best team across the season) Athelstone has just finished runner-up in Div 2 and will be in Div 1 next year; whilst the Premier Pembroke OS have come straight back down to Div 3 next year after finishing bottom in Div 2 this year.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Mister Footy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 am

Couldn't make it last night but heard there was a pretty fiery AGM at HVFC :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Mister Footy wrote:I hear Adam Jeffries has left Padthaway - returning to the SFL?

Heard he got the Goodwood Saints gig
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:58 am

Mister Footy wrote:Couldn't make it last night but heard there was a pretty fiery AGM at HVFC :shock: :shock: :shock:

Very different from what I heard, with the exception of a small group..

Considering know one else nominated to be on the committee, it couldn’t have been to bad.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby grumpyoldman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Front & Centre wrote:GOM the people in charge have done alot of things that don't need to be aired on this forum that have proved they have not acted smartly this year.
They have known for months that Coleman was not continuing and they are still yet to appoint a coach. In the meantime other clubs will be calling our players - this is the key recruitment period.
Maybe they are finding out a club near the bottom of the ladder in a league that has plenty of critics is not an easy coaching job to fill.
Plenty of club people willing to help and have submitted names but I am sure they have not been contacted.
If you think they are smart you must be one of the ones running the club

Like you FC I am time poor with work however willing to help when and if required so will put my hand up and ask if anything needs doing.
grumpyoldman
Mini-League

Postby Front & Centre » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:Couldn't make it last night but heard there was a pretty fiery AGM at HVFC :shock: :shock: :shock:

Considering know one else nominated to be on the committee, it couldn’t have been to bad.

WUB you heard wrong
Plenty of unhappy members and club management who went straight on defensive rather than answer questions
Front & Centre
Rookie

Postby am Bays » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 pm

To all of you who love the umpys, support them at Bunnings Noarlunga this Sunday as they man the Barbie Stall
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Front & Centre wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

WUB you heard wrong
Plenty of unhappy members and club management who went straight on defensive rather than answer questions

So their is so many unhappy members, but not a single person nominated to get on the committee??
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby usedtobealright » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Any news on the new coaches for sfl 2018????
usedtobealright
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby ol man emu » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Dave Murdock has been Appointed club coach at Morphett Vale.
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Front & Centre » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Front & Centre wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

WUB you heard wrong

So their is so many unhappy members, but not a single person nominated to get on the committee??

Interesting isn't it? You would have to think is it due to work commitments (my excuse) or lack of time in general? Many hands make light work but HV's committee seems to be getting smaller and smaller with most members coming from the junior ranks
Disappointing as I had heard some former committee members were going to renominate - I am not alone in that disappointment.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Postby oneuponedown » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:55 pm

ol man emu wrote:Dave Murdock has been Appointed club coach at Morphett Vale.

No Appointments as yet at Christies , Happy Valley and Cove, Rumor is Porties coach has been talked into going around again in 2018.
Valley the surprising one as they have known for sometime BC not going on in 2018.

Was LJ Playing down at Victor when Murdoch was there? :oops:
oneuponedown
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL