Players intending to leave

Talk on the national game

Should Clubs continue to pick players who intend to leave?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 21

Re: Players intending to leave

Postby bennymacca » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I think the trade period should be longer and no negotiations should be made outside of the trade period.

Too much speculation is made during the season causing players to get side-tracked and supporters to get antsy towards their own and then draw conclusions once decisions are made.

Doing it this way will ensure players are playing with 100% commitment til the end to improve their dollar value.

negotiations will always be made outside of the trade period.

there was an awesome open mike with sydney's former ceo (i think). he was talking about talking to buddy franklin 18 months before he finally signed
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:10 am

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:No.

Team continuity and culture overrides the benefits of one player being perceived to be better than another.

Of course you select them if they are in your best 22 for that match. If anyone thinks sacrificing a match ( in this instance a Grand Final ) is worth it to make a stance against a player on the move they're kidding themselves.

What happens if round 1 next year all the Port boys decide they aren't going to play because of the manner the club treated Jackson Trengove's departure?

Goes both ways. Clubs would have made decisions on players well before the player knows he's on the outer, some list management teams would have next years planned already.

Of course you pick them.
That's a very specific example of a player saying this on the eve of a GF. If so then sure, keep it under wraps and play him.

But if it's a case of it being round 12 and you've been informed. Nope. It's too destructive. You have to have people playing that want to be there

and the example that always gets brought up "but the clubs can do the same back to players" is nonsensical. Of course they bloody can. The club is always bigger than the individual.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby LMA » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:57 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Team continuity and culture overrides the benefits of one player being perceived to be better than another.

Of course you select them if they are in your best 22 for that match. If anyone thinks sacrificing a match ( in this instance a Grand Final ) is worth it to make a stance against a player on the move they're kidding themselves.

What happens if round 1 next year all the Port boys decide they aren't going to play because of the manner the club treated Jackson Trengove's departure?

Goes both ways. Clubs would have made decisions on players well before the player knows he's on the outer, some list management teams would have next years planned already.

Of course you pick them.

Exactly, and what if they kick the winning goal of the GF after the siren and the whole state wants you to be Premier? Then you stay.

The whole state, you must be a Crows supporter
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby tigerpie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Whether to play him or not purely comes down to character.
Dangerfield knew he was off all year and played well.
If what we read regarding walkers pissedoffness, was it that lever lied to the leadership group re his intentions.
If that's the case then I get Adelaide's attitude.
Crows knew they would lose either lever or McGovern.
They got McGovern cheap and could play in defence so no biggy.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:58 am

LMA wrote:

The whole state, you must be a Crows supporter

Ease up Turbo!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 am

morell wrote:
Booney wrote:

Of course you pick them.
That's a very specific example of a player saying this on the eve of a GF. If so then sure, keep it under wraps and play him.

But if it's a case of it being round 12 and you've been informed. Nope. It's too destructive. You have to have people playing that want to be there

and the example that always gets brought up "but the clubs can do the same back to players" is nonsensical. Of course they bloody can. The club is always bigger than the individual.

You're wrong. That is all.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 am

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I think the trade period should be longer and no negotiations should be made outside of the trade period.

Too much speculation is made during the season causing players to get side-tracked and supporters to get antsy towards their own and then draw conclusions once decisions are made.

Doing it this way will ensure players are playing with 100% commitment til the end to improve their dollar value.

negotiations will always be made outside of the trade period.

there was an awesome open mike with sydney's former ceo (i think). he was talking about talking to buddy franklin 18 months before he finally signed

I do realize that, I'm just saying that they shouldn't.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:42 pm

If the player is good enough, and is being professional and not putting in half-hearted performances out of petulance, it makes sense to continue to pick them in the team.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 am

Not sure where this goes but I'm going to miss the big fella despite burning me in fantasy footy year after year.

Loved his attack and endeavour.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-16/h ... -the-brink
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Not sure where this goes but I'm going to miss the big fella despite burning me in fantasy footy year after year.

Loved his attack and endeavour.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-16/h ... -the-brink

That would be disappointing if he did finish up. I'm a big fan of the Mummy.
But it was obvious as the season progressed he was struggling. Play the way he does, it's gonna impact on longevity.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL