Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby heater31 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:The updated My Cricket App (Samsung version). It's a complete mess. It has struggled to load properly all week and it muddles up the scores, FOW, batting and bowlers orders even though I entered the order correctly on the club computer last night. Can't log into it with our club I.D to enter the team's on Thursday night like we have done in the past to make it easier rather than using the computer to do it.

Mate it doesn't even give a pleb user the chance to look up scores on the go........ :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:41 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:The updated My Cricket App (Samsung version). It's a complete mess. It has struggled to load properly all week and it muddles up the scores, FOW, batting and bowlers orders even though I entered the order correctly on the club computer last night. Can't log into it with our club I.D to enter the team's on Thursday night like we have done in the past to make it easier rather than using the computer to do it.

Mate it doesn't even give a pleb user the chance to look up scores on the go........ :shock:
It's horseshit, why the need for such a drastic update is beyond me.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Had a sick day yesterday, work took the liberty of upgrading my computer to windows 10 while I was gone and have now lost all my files that were saved to my desktop.. Now i'm screwed :(
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby morell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Don't save documents where you shouldn't. Probably dot point #2 in your IT policy.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm

morell wrote:Don't save documents where you shouldn't. Probably dot point #2 in your IT policy.

wait, since when is saving documents to the desktop a bad idea? its where all of mine are, and after a quick look, i cant find a single mention anywhere in our intranet of that being a bad idea
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby MW » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm

tipper wrote:
morell wrote:Don't save documents where you shouldn't. Probably dot point #2 in your IT policy.

wait, since when is saving documents to the desktop a bad idea? its where all of mine are, and after a quick look, i cant find a single mention anywhere in our intranet of that being a bad idea

Is your desktop backed up? If not, bad idea.
We save to network drives which are backed up overnight daily.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm

tipper wrote:

Sarcasm?

Surely a network drive where it’s likely backed up is a good place?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Sounds like a few more IT inductions need to take place
morell
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

bennymacca wrote:
tipper wrote:

Sarcasm?

Surely a network drive where it’s likely backed up is a good place?

not sarcasm. m not saying that isnt a good place, and anything super important is saved elsewhere, but drafts, or testing data etc is just on the desktop.
morell wrote:Sounds like a few more IT inductions need to take place

lol, i work in IT, and have never been told that before.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Pleased to say I've never saved any documents to desktop. IT 101
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby morell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm

tipper wrote:lol, i work in IT, and have never been told that before.
:shock:

If you're saving your stuff to your desktop, that is obviously written to the hard drive of your local PC. Hard drives which are susceptible to all manner of things going wrong, especially if they're the disc driven type. Solid state ones less of a concern. But still fire, flood, theft etc will mean bye byes to all that data. As will an OS update, like what old mate experienced. Although I'd be a little surprised if Bedgies IT department didnt tick the box to back up those files.

A network drive is obviously on a server, either on prem or offsite, with ideally reasonably redundancy with tape and other back ups.

tl;dr save your data to a network drive, IT will assume things on your desktop are things you don't care about
Last edited by morell on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm

I save work in progress to my desktop, and most files go into various network drives with completed work uploaded into SharePoint.

Have a number of progress files and templates though that I've got on my desktop that I need, or files that I've scanned that haven't had a chance to properly store.

Probably should've been bit more cautious, but then again wasn't really expecting them to suddenly come and swap my laptops over either :lol:

Upside - I rung IT about it, they swapped the laptops instead of upgrading my original, and my old laptop was still downstairs waiting to be wiped - so I got it back and grabbed the files I needed haha! :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:I save work in progress to my desktop, and most files go into various network drives with completed work uploaded into SharePoint.

Have a number of progress files and templates though that I've got on my desktop that I need, or files that I've scanned that haven't had a chance to properly store.

Probably should've been bit more cautious, but then again wasn't really expecting them to suddenly come and swap my laptops over either :lol:

Upside - I rung IT about it, they swapped the laptops instead of upgrading my original, and my old laptop was still downstairs waiting to be wiped - so I got it back and grabbed the files I needed haha! :D

Save your data to a network drive! It's exactly the same.

I recall even naming a folder on one dudes share drive "Desktop" just he thought he was saving it there.

**** me you'd be cooked in Local Gov. We have to save our stuff in a specific software package with very stringent rules. Drives me batty.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm

morell wrote:We have to save our stuff in a specific software package with very stringent rules. Drives me batty.

I could handle that, just that I've got myself into bad habits in my current role :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Its. ******. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Not even marbles.
morell
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 pm

morell wrote:
The Bedge wrote:I save work in progress to my desktop, and most files go into various network drives with completed work uploaded into SharePoint.

I recall even naming a folder on one dudes share drive "Desktop" just he thought he was saving it there.

**** me you'd be cooked in Local Gov. We have to save our stuff in a specific software package with very stringent rules. Drives me batty.

Is the software Objective?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 pm

morell wrote:
tl;dr save your data to a network drive, IT will assume things on your desktop are things you don't care about

IT would be right, i dont care if i lose it, but the chances of it happening would be so close to zero i might as well worry about an asteroid taking it out.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Magellan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:

Is the software Objective?

Or is it DataWorks, or TRIM?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby morell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 pm

TRIM but I've used Objective too.

We're in the process of reviewing though.
morell
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:53 pm

tipper wrote:

Well, most of the backup software that we all should be using regularly tends to default to backing up other folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, Videos, etc. So unless you are clever at configuring the software to do otherwise and disengage any automatic Desktop Cleanup accessories you are potentially likely to lose things you don't want to lose. It is easier to work with the system.

Windows 10 updates do seem to delete things they find where Microsoft thinks they shouldn't be, and to reset settings to the Microsoft approved defaults. I've lost a few icons from my desktop and they are fiddly to put back.

All my computers are set to back up to an external drive at the **click of an icon, and I've set up automated backups for my lady's laptop as she is a bit random about actively backing up.

** I just like to be in control thank you Micro$oft - which is why I still have W7 on my non-portable machine along with some old software that won't run on newer OS,and that leaves me able to dual boot that machine with Linux too.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion