Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Best Bets? Talking Odds? This is the place.

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Postby LPH » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Dettori to ride Almandin.
It cant win.

You beat me to it, mate 8)

Cash Out... Cash Out...
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LPH » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 pm

JK wrote:
Spargo wrote:
JK wrote:Oliver suspension appeal dismissed

Should’ve been given another 10 for wasting everyone’s time.

Still haven't seen the ride (only managed to watch the plate on a cracked iPhone screen at a wedding)

Watch the arial shot mate, its damning IMHO - no wonder McEvoy was pissed!
Should've got more IMHO - in the middle of the year, he would've.

Almandin can't win now!
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Let’s be honest, the grub should’ve already got life for betting against his own mount...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby LPH » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am

Anyone else finding this year's Melbourne Cup a bit of a 'let down', hype-wise?
Sure there was plenty to do with Winx & her 3peat attempt/success but I have been under-whelmed with the coverage of the Cup.
The field doesn't look all that strong @ this stage either, to me.

Any thoughts?
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:30 am

LPH wrote:Anyone else finding this year's Melbourne Cup a bit of a 'let down', hype-wise?
Sure there was plenty to do with Winx & her 3peat attempt/success but I have been under-whelmed with the coverage of the Cup.

Any thoughts?

Yep, no local hopes and Winx has taken the limelight up until now.

Almandin can't win, agreed.

Oliver is a cheat, agreed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 pm

LPH wrote:Anyone else finding this year's Melbourne Cup a bit of a 'let down', hype-wise?

Any thoughts?

I am not even going to the races this year

Used up my credits at the Everest
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:15 pm

WARRNAMBOOL will host a one-off marathon staying race over 4600m worth $300,000 in November next year.
The race known as the Jericho Cup, will commemorate the race run in 1918 on the desert sands of Palestine, just outside of Jericho, between Australian and New Zealand troops during World War I.
The race is the brainchild of Victorian philanthropist Bill Gibbons, who will sponsor the race through the Warrnambool Racing Club.
Racing Victoria’s executive general manager Greg Carpenter said they were looking forward to promoting the event with the WRC and hoped it would become an annual event.
The race will only be eligible for horses bred in Australia and New Zealand.
The make-up of the field will be determined by runners earning points in races over 3000m or more on the flat and also in feature jumps races the Great Eastern Steeple and the Grand Annual Steeple.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/superracin ... 0d5d3ee116
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Ive found the Cup over recent years to be less interesting personally.
Too many internationals which causes too many unknown factors.
The Cup is now a race for the Internationals - who still fail to really achieve any success despite the massive advantages theyre given.

I preferred the race when it gave local horses a chance at glory.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Booney wrote:WARRNAMBOOL will host a one-off marathon staying race over 4600m worth $300,000 in November next year.
The race known as the Jericho Cup, will commemorate the race run in 1918 on the desert sands of Palestine, just outside of Jericho, between Australian and New Zealand troops during World War I.
The race is the brainchild of Victorian philanthropist Bill Gibbons, who will sponsor the race through the Warrnambool Racing Club.
Racing Victoria’s executive general manager Greg Carpenter said they were looking forward to promoting the event with the WRC and hoped it would become an annual event.
The make-up of the field will be determined by runners earning points in races over 3000m or more on the flat and also in feature jumps races the Great Eastern Steeple and the Grand Annual Steeple.

Love it.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:WARRNAMBOOL will host a one-off marathon staying race over 4600m worth $300,000 in November next year.

Love it.

Ric McIntosh will go ballistic.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm

How many Musgrove runners in that one?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Ive found the Cup over recent years to be less interesting personally.
Too many internationals which causes too many unknown factors.
The Cup is now a race for the Internationals - who still fail to really achieve any success despite the massive advantages theyre given.

I preferred the race when it gave local horses a chance at glory.

Yep, same. Used to take the day off, lunch & early seat at the bar & Wednesday off.
Hardly any interest now, 10ew on something I fancy for something to listen to at work.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:06 pm

I've always said it is the most over rated race of the year. If it was was 'just' a 3200m race no one would bat an eyelid
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby JK » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:17 pm

SAFooty Quinella on the cards? Or Trifecta (the #1 is close enough to Morell ...

FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:22 pm

The 3 is more like morell
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Seriously crap fields for Bendigo Cup day
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Brodlach wrote:Seriously crap fields for Bendigo Cup day

Even the Cup is ordinary race
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:34 pm

JK wrote:SAFooty Quinella on the cards? Or Trifecta (the #1 is close enough to Morell ...

Must have had Big Phil on its back.................
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Left the 6 out for 4th......ffs
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby LPH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:45 pm

04/11/2017 (Posted Wednesday 7:40pm)

It’s Derby Day – my favourite Race Day of the Year!

Now that all the Winx-hype has subsided, until next week when she likely runs in the Emirates (the Old McKinnon Stakes) @ WFA, we can enjoy the start of the Flemington Cup Carnival. As I said earlier in the week, not sure if it’s me, or has the Melbourne Cup not got the same ‘lustre’ this year?

Personally, I think the Field is below standard for the Cup this year – I can see it being a similar type year to when Shocking won it. I got the Trifecta that year & Crime Scene @ $15 the Place, so I hope if I’m right, a similar result will ensue in 2017 & I will get some added ‘coin’ for my European Adventure in Jan/Feb.

But before that, we need to get some money on Saturday!

Flemington – MR 7 The Victoria Derby

Once again, when assessing the form for this race, One must compare the ‘Sydney Form’ to that of the ‘Melbourne Form’. I said a couple of weeks ago that Sully was my pick for the race. I was reasonably impressed with the 3rd in the Spring Champion Stakes @ Randwick – it was the one running on toward the end of the 2000m.
That said, Tangled ran a good race for 2nd & backed it up with an equally good 2nd @ Caulfield behind last week’s winner Cliff’s Edge – Waller has to be respected & I fancy Tangled is a genuine contender in the race. The winner of the Spring Champion, Ace High, is the favourite for the race but I’m willing to risk it – both the Price & the fact it hasn’t run ‘left-handed’. It does get the ‘gun run’ from the Gate & reckon it runs Top 5 but too short (as always) for me.

I do like a ‘roughy’ in the race, Craig William’s mount, # 10 – Justice Faith.
It’s only win was 2 starts back @ Kyneton over 1875m & ran 6th in the Geelong Classic BUT, in it’s 2nd last prep @ Flemington over 1800m it came from the back, to run within 2 ½ lengths of the winner (interestingly ridden by Williams). I expect that it will be running on in the last Furlong, so at the $11 Place @ Ladbrokes, it’s worth a Place ticket.

Sticking with Sully at the enhanced $10 & $2.70 – 2 x 5 Units; afraid of Tangled, backing it the Win only, Powered $8 for 5 Units, Place ticket on Justice Faith 3 Units.

Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 3, 6, 10

Flemington – MR 4 The Lexus

No doubt Spargo is hoping the Geelong Cup winner Vengeur Masque wins the race & definitely gets into the Cup field on Tuesday. Personally, I don’t think he’ll win this race – but could still get a run Tuesday through natural attrition. Very interesting race for a number of reasons; obviously the ‘prize’ of a Cup place, the speed/tempo of the race (reckon Equador leads with Aloft) & the number of runs leading up to this race – 2 runners are 4th up, 3 are 5th up, 2 are 6th up. I like the 2 down the bottom; Alward & Kellstorm. McEvoy won this race last year, with the winner coming out of the Geelong Cup. Kellstorm ran in that race this year, whilst Waller’s runner ran 2nd in Sydney. Can see Kellstorm as the one finishing the race off best & at the Powered $10 & $2.70, he’ll do me – 3 x 7 Units.

Trifectas: 4,9/ 4,9/ Field; 4,10/ 4,10/ Field; 9,10/ 9,10/ Field

Flemington – MR 2 The Wakeful Stakes

A race for 3 yr old Fillies is always a difficult proposition for any Punter - so many variables in terms of how they are ‘mentally’ on the day, not to mention in running. I think the McEvoy runner Bring Me Roses is a false favourite here – she won @ $17 last start in the Edward Manifold & she’s posted @ around 3/1 for this race. Admittedly she won well in that race but the price is way ‘Unders’ IMHO.

I must admit I’m a ‘bit bullish’ about the Mick Price runner Hiyaam for this race. 8)
She’s proven at the distance, having run 3rd in the Ethereal last start & if you look at the price differential between it & the favourite (having run 2nd to Bring Me Roses), the $9.50 boosted & $2.70 the Place is a better bet than the fav. McEvoy (the Kerrin variety) is finding form again – did he ever lose it? I concede a winning chance to his mount Rimraam & I am always wary of Darren Weir, so have to throw in Teodora. Backing Hiyaam 3 x 7 Units.

Trifectas: 5,6/ 5,6/ Field; 5,10/ 5,10/ Field; 6,10/ 6,10/ Field

Flemington – MR 6 The Myer Classic

Last year I backed Denmagic in this race – ran 3rd @ 60/1 (isn’t it funny how we always remember the odd ‘winner’ but easily forget the MANY losers?). Not sure I can find one at that sort of price THIS year but I do like Dixie Blossoms @ $15 Powered & the $3.80 the Place is very good – might get $4 on the day. She’s been running really well in Sydney (superior form lines?) for the 1 win & that was over the Mile – clearly her best distance. Wary of Silent Sedition & Global Glamor. Happy to back my judgement here – Dixie Blossoms 3 x 7 Units.

Trifectas: 3,5/ 3,5/ Field; 3,8/ 3,8/ Field; 5,8/ 5,8/ Field

Flemington – MR 5 The Coolmore Stud Stakes

If you are thinking of gambling on the Outside fence being the ‘fast lane’ – this is not usually the case at the beginning of the Carnival, but by Thursday & certainly by the final day, it is. I’m looking for something in the middle of the field that gets some cover behind other horses, then gets out over the last furlong & a half.

The value runner is Merchant Navy.
He ‘flopped’ in Sydney, having gone there unbeaten. Mark Zahra has been in ripping form this season thus far & it has been backed early in the week - $21 to $15. I’m happy with the boosted $26 & love the current $5.50 the Place on Ladbrokes. He’ll do me, 1 x 4 Units.

So, there you go Lads - early this week & looking for some nice collects.
I said last year I won’t return to Morphettville, so I’m looking for a good venue to spend the day – any suggestions?
Enjoy the Day, lets hope we get some cash to ‘blow’ on Tuesday. :roll:
Last edited by LPH on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPH
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  The Gambling Room