The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Gozu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 pm

I remember one time when Jimmy was carrying on in the lead up to an election and he compared SA with Greece. Seriously. It's like they look out their windows at Burnside and just see war torn buildings and rubble all around them it's amazing really.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby morell » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Gozu wrote:I remember one time when Jimmy was carrying on in the lead up to an election and he compared SA with Greece. Seriously. It's like they look out their windows at Burnside and just see war torn buildings and rubble all around them it's amazing really.

AdelAIDS mate. Its very sad.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 am

bennymacca wrote:Why do you think that MT?

I think we are going ok compared to recent years?

Sales in small business is down significantly on last year. In some cases really stagnant.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am

morell wrote:

Because he and his ilk suffer from an affliction where they are stuck in an angry, bitter, team based, rhetoric heavy, spiral of self loathing. This causes them to not see simple fact are they question reality itself.

Its often brought on by an ESL bill for a cutla hundred bucks or a power bill that was more than one thought. This outrage initiates a fear response, which despite the subject having hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity on their third property, residing in one of the most livable cities in the world, having access to free health care and subsidised higher education... that $280 ESL bill is just too much.

I call this affliction - AdelAIDS.

Yeah...nah.

None of the above

Have another go...
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 am

morell wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The economy is slowing down dramatically and it really is crippling small businesses. If the trend continues as we get closer to Election time it might get Marshall over the line.

Brad Vermeer is held with high regard inside the Libs

South Australian economy on the rise after receiving its best rating since 2011

Cheer up man

Its comparative: you need to look beyond the obvious
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 am

Gozu wrote:I remember one time when Jimmy was carrying on in the lead up to an election and he compared SA with Greece. Seriously. It's like they look out their windows at Burnside and just see war torn buildings and rubble all around them it's amazing really.

I was driving through Noarlunga coming back from Carrickalinga
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:23 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Sales in small business is down significantly on last year. In some cases really stagnant.

whose small business? your friends or all?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

All

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:19 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

All

All small businesses are struggling.

We have a confirmed case of AdelAIDS. Please consult your GP.
morell
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 pm

morell wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:[quote="bennymacca"]Why do you think that MT?

All

All small businesses are struggling.

We have a confirmed case of AdelAIDS. Please consult your GP.[/quote]I did have a giggle this morning when you were assuming it was a high power bill or the ESL levy....

A pity you were wrong about that.

But you can believe Commsec....and I will believe the small business owners that I deal with.

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:But you can believe Commsec....and I will believe the small business owners that I deal with.

World Wide Business Group?

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Agree with Benny. Plus the fact it's not the candidates that will win any gains, it's the Xenophon name.
Interesting the priorities have been getting people into the Lib-held seats.

It is indeed. He's also saying he wants to run an even number of candidates in both Labor and Liberal held seats, well, at the moment he's got 7 in Liberal and none in Labor held and he's got under 4 months to make an impression.

Makes one wonder whether the ambulance chaser has already made a pact with Slimy Jay?
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby RB » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:56 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Psyber wrote:Human beings sometimes overlook remote possibilities like accidentally being a citizen of a country they have never lived in, or were not born in.

If I hadn't considered going to live in the UK for a while at one time and researched it, it would never have occurred to me that being born in Adelaide of a British mother prior to 1945 could make me eligible for British citizenship - in fact back in 2007-8 it wouldn't have - I'd have just been entitled to "Right of Abode".

The UK has since had the cheek to change their law without letting me know!!
I found that out when I re-checked there rules recently when this furore erupted recently,
It would cost me about $2000.00 to check it out and make sure,,,

If I'd become an MP with a clear conscious back in 2008 I'd potentially be in trouble now too.

That said the parties do need to get their act together and vet these things at least until we can set up a constitution that focusses on intent or negligence not just accident or foreign law changes.

As you know, Psyb, parties go through a very strict vetting process (excepting One Nation, it would seem) before candidates can even run for an election. They are asked about potential skeletons in their closet - previous offences, drug addictions, jilted lovers, family situations, mental health etc. And I understand that the Liberal party's vetting is extremely thorough on all of those fronts. Heck, I know of a candidate who took along three suitcases of newspaper clippings from their writing days so that it could be vetted.
You would think the question would be asked, "were your parents born overseas?" would be amongst those sturdy questions. Given the dual citizenship question is a significant clause in being elected, you'd think people would at least check.
If you are a candidate, with a major party, that $2000 can easily come from campaign coffers. An internet check would suffice for some of these things.
It's possibly up for debate that the current rules are archaic, but they're rules, they're pretty basic rules. Politicians debate points of protocol all of the, yet they couldn't get this right? Pretty ordinary. It's basic.

Yep.

I think the High Court said it best:
(w)hile it may be said that it is harsh to apply s 44(i) to disqualify a candidate born in Australia who has never had occasion to consider himself or herself as other than an Australian citizen and exclusively an Australian citizen, nomination for election is manifestly an occasion for serious reflection on this question; the nomination form for candidates for both the Senate and the House of Representatives requires candidates to declare that they are not rendered ineligible by s 44. It is necessary to bear in mind that the reference by a house of Parliament of a question of disqualification can arise only where the facts which establish the disqualification have been brought forward in Parliament. In the nature of things, those facts must always have been knowable. A candidate need show no greater diligence in relation to the timely discovery of those facts than the person who has successfully, albeit belatedly, brought them to the attention of the Parliament.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:12 am

Grenville wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Agree with Benny. Plus the fact it's not the candidates that will win any gains, it's the Xenophon name.
Interesting the priorities have been getting people into the Lib-held seats.

It is indeed. He's also saying he wants to run an even number of candidates in both Labor and Liberal held seats, well, at the moment he's got 7 in Liberal and none in Labor held and he's got under 4 months to make an impression.

Makes one wonder whether the ambulance chaser has already made a pact with Slimy Jay?

If he hasn't then he's doing his best to make it look like he has!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 am

I'm connected to commercial construction works, we've been as busy as any time in the last 5 years with tenders for projects coming up and current projects that we're working through, however, the size of the tenders and commercial works I'm forecasting in board reports for the next 12 months are not anywhere near the size of works we're currently involved in.

The big ticket items around Adelaide in the last 5 years with SAHMRI, Adelaide Oval, nRAH, AMNS, HIB, Flinders, Air7000 etc are all coming to a turn key end and almost 100% of this has been government spend or Adelaide Uni spend. Private investment seems to be on the go slow.

There are several large apartment jobs coming up ( REALM, Opus, Esplanade Glenelg ) with private investors backing these.

If I were to offer anecdotal evidence of the state of the economy in my sector I'd say it's been on the improve over the last 12 months but the forecast isn't as optimistic.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 am

Booney wrote:

I'm connected to commercial construction works, we've been as busy as any time in the last 5 years with tenders for projects coming up and current projects that we're working through, however, the size of the tenders and commercial works I'm forecasting in board reports for the next 12 months are not anywhere near the size of works we're currently involved in.

The big ticket items around Adelaide in the last 5 years with SAHMRI, Adelaide Oval, nRAH, AMNS, HIB, Flinders, Air7000 etc are all coming to a turn key end and almost 100% of this has been government spend or Adelaide Uni spend. Private investment seems to be on the go slow.

There are several large apartment jobs coming up ( REALM, Opus, Esplanade Glenelg ) with private investors backing these.

If I were to offer anecdotal evidence of the state of the economy in my sector I'd say it's been on the improve over the last 12 months but the forecast isn't as optimistic.

My construction clients are going for every project regardless of size
You can see the evidence in the Tenders / Sub-contractors section

And I know for a fact that the credit insurers have downgraded SA and that's not just the construction area
Rates are still going up here which is a sure sign that the risk of insolvency and/or default is growing.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

And I know for a fact that the credit insurers have downgraded SA and that's not just the construction area
Rates are still going up here which is a sure sign that the risk of insolvency and/or default is growing.

We too have changed our direction a little.

Previously I barely looked at the federally funded B.E.R school works, I'm currently spending most of my days on the large amount of state funded STEM works.

We look after Perth and Darwin from here as well, I don't know what to make of the WA economy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 am

Excellent post Booney. But I'd say construction is was and always will be boom and bust.

My brother's got a small bricklaying business. He's busier than ever and makes a killing. My missus manages the Adelaide office for her firm, making budgets and more. I've got family connections in the wine game... cannot keep up with demand. All SMBs. The bar scene is Adelaide, tourism. ****, I'm about to buy an AirBNB little business and it's absurd the money it makes. My mate fixes computers as a job, just him. Makes more than he did as a senior programmer.

That's anecdotally, but the data supports a the notion that the state is going ok economically too.

Yes. Manufacturing and corner stores might be on the way out, but we cannot expect to continue operating in the same way forever. Change is healthy...and required. We can't keep expecting to make $40/hr stamping sheets of metal or charging huge prices for things big business can provide for much less.

Small Business isn't dying... it's *changing*.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

I hate this mentality of "I own a small business ergo it is automatically successful".

Emily Raven of My Kingdom For A Horse gave a great interview about the need for small business to remain relevant in an ever changing industry:

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/adelaide/ ... ospitality
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 am

Booney wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

We too have changed our direction a little.

Previously I barely looked at the federally funded B.E.R school works, I'm currently spending most of my days on the large amount of state funded STEM works.

We look after Perth and Darwin from here as well, I don't know what to make of the WA economy.
Also got $700 million for schools to spend on their facilities......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics