2018 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2018 AFL Season

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Spargo wrote:Thomas can duck as good as Shuey, hope Polec keeps that in mind :lol:

Enjoying watching others playing finals. Good policy to adopt for you I reckon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:Thomas can duck as good as Shuey, hope Polec keeps that in mind :lol:

Swings & roundabouts, Polec playing in a final gives every chump in the game some sort of hope...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

Swings & roundabouts, Polec playing in a final gives every chump in the game some sort of hope...

That makes no sense at all. Even by this sites standards that's a shit sledge.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:28 pm

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:Okay teams with Thursday Night & Friday Night games list below plus have also added the blockbusters in that are on Monday-Wednesday's

Adelaide - 7
Brisbane - 0
Carlton - 5
Collingwood - 3 (Plus 2 Blockbusters)
Essendon - 5 (Plus 1 Blockbuster)
Fremantle - 0
GWS - 1
Geelong - 5 (Plus 1 Blockbuster)
Gold Coast - 0
Hawthorn - 1 (Plus 1 Blockbuster)
Melbourne - 1 (Plus 2 Blockbusters)
Nth Melbourne - 1 (Gd Friday)
Port - 3
Richmond - 7 (Plus 1 Blockbuster)
St. Kilda - 4 (including Gd Friday)
Sydney - 7
West Coast - 2
Western Bulldogs - 4

So off that list - Sydney & Carlton look to be the most looked after. Can argue that Sydney have been up the top for a long time now so we aren't going to suffer watching the Swans 7 times on prime time unlike Carlton! I actually enjoy watching Sydney on a Friday night. GWS only the 1. Yes they may have only a couple thousand supporters but they play good footy and are one of the top sides that would have a lot of people watching on TV. Melbourne stiff as well with only the 1. IMO, Carlton should have no more than 1-2 games on prime time TV and that is being nice!

Would be interesting to see how many Saturday night free to air games there are too and add them into the mix.

Alrighty, have finally had the time to go through the fixture in regards to night games in total. Didn't have time to break down the FTA and Fox games. I counted the Good Friday game in as a night game.

Club Night Games (Thurs/Fri/Sat) Mid-Week (Mon-Wed)
Adelaide - 2/5/7 -- 0
Brisbane - 0/0/5 -- 0
Carlton - 1/4/4 -- 0
Collingwood - 0/3/5 -- 2
Essendon - 1/4/5 -- 1
Fremantle - 0/0/5 -- 0
GWS - 0/1/5 -- 0
Geelong - 2/3/5 -- 1
Gold Coast - 0/0/7 -- 0
Hawthorn - 0/1/6 -- 1
Melbourne - 0/1/4 -- 2
Nth Melbourne - 0/1/4 -- 0
Port Adelaide - 2/1/1 -- 0
Richmond - 2/5/3 -- 1
St. Kilda - 0/4/7 -- 0
Sydney - 2/5/7 -- 0
West Coast - 1/1/2 -- 0
W Bulldogs - 1/4/5 -- 0

I think you can now understand why Port were pissed off with the fixture times. Port & West Coast who both played finals with the least amount of night games for 2018 :? :? :?
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:30 pm

I don't think Sydney have been looked after in regard to the prime time slot, weve earned the right to play that time. Carlton on the other hand are lucky to be televised.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I don't think Sydney have been looked after in regard to the prime time slot, weve earned the right to play that time. Carlton on the other hand are lucky to be televised.

C’mon Wubs, you’re starting to sound like a Crows or Power supporter. ;)
Everyone loves to tune in to Carlton games....... well that’s what the AFL and the TV ratings will have us believe.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Hey @woodublieve12 , do you write for Sportsbet social media? :lol:
Attachments
sportsbet.JPG
sportsbet.JPG (20.79 KiB) Viewed 652 times
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:02 pm

MW wrote:Hey @woodublieve12 , do you write for Sportsbet social media? :lol:

That's brilliant :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:54 pm

Was that duck or dive? ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 pm

AFL have just confirmed 'AFLX' will be going ahead, starting February 15th 2018.

Pool A: Hindmarsh Stadium, Thursday February 15
Adelaide, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide, West Coast

Pool B: Etihad Stadium, Friday February 16
Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda

Pool C: Allianz Stadium, Saturday February 17
Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Richmond, Sydney, Western Bulldogs
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

THE AFL has confirmed it will stick with tradition and that umpires will continue to bounce the ball at the start of quarters and to restart play after goals.

The bounce has been a long-standing part of League football, but its place in the game has been increasingly questioned in recent years, with some umpires concerned by the physical and mental toll the practice takes on them.

AFL Chairman Richard Goyder and football operations manager Steve Hocking announced on Tuesday afternoon the bounce would live on for the forseeable future.

Goyder said the bounce was a "unique" and "iconic" part of AFL games and believed most fans would welcome its retention.

"It's great that the bounce will kick off AFL football games. There's nothing like the roar of the crowd and the expectation that the bounce will start our great game," Goyder said.

Asked whether the decision was a long-term one, Goyder was emphatic: "The bounce is here to stay."

Hocking did not believe umpires would be disappointed with the AFL's decision but acknowledged some would be concerned by how the bounce's retention would affect their performance.

However, Hocking stressed the League would provide "a lot more" support to umpires, both in mental skills training and high-performance programs, to ensure the need to the bounce ball did not detract from their overall performance.>

"We will do absolutely everything we can to make sure there is further investment in umpiring," Hocking said.

"If people are wondering how important the umpires are from my point of view, their particular department is the 19th team of the competition.

"They need further support and on-going care and I'm absolutely committed, as is the organisation (to providing that)."

Hocking confirmed umpires would retain the discretionary power to recall errant bounces. Umpires were given that power in 2009 and Hocking said there was little thought given to changing the rule.

Since 2013, umpires have thrown the ball up at stoppages around the ground, and that rule remains unchanged.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:16 pm

TOM LYNCH won't be rushed on his free agency decision, saying he has no timeframe on deciding where his future lies beyond 2018.

The Gold Coast co-captain is set to be the biggest fish in the free agency pool next season, but gave little away when speaking to the media on Tuesday afternoon.

"I haven't set any time on that," Lynch said.

"I just want to, every day, improve the footy club and see where we're going.

"I want to see Gold Coast succeed, that's my first priority, my only priority to be honest."

Lynch said free agency was part of the game "we all need to get used to".

Last season it was his fellow co-captain Steven May who copped the scrutiny, before signing a two-year extension to tie him to the Suns until the end of 2019.

May said Lynch had every right to take his time and any prolonged negotiations would not be a distraction to either the player or club.

"We're 20 days into the last year of his contract, so he's got plenty of time," the skipper said.

"I certainly took my time, I've got different reasons to Tom.

"Tom might have some other reasons, but the one that stands out is team success.

"I'm committed to showing him we're going in the right direction and he's 100 per cent in.

"It's not going to be a distraction, it's going to be in the media a bit because he's such a high-profile player, but he's a professional and that's not going to change the way he goes about it."

New coach Stuart Dew said Lynch was "invested" and that's all he needed to know.

"I've spent a fair bit of time with him in the past six weeks in both trying to recruit players and then meeting new players," Dew said.

"That tells me what type of character he is and where his mindset is at the moment."

Lynch missed the final three games of 2017 with a knee injury but trained strongly on Monday.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Hes gone
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby MW » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Not when the AFL kicks in $1m a year on top as an ambassador to stay
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

The bounce is about 400th on the list of changes that I care about - it doesn’t really affect the game.

Some of the other changes on the other hand...
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Booney wrote:TOM LYNCH won't be rushed on his free agency decision, saying he has no timeframe on deciding where his future lies beyond 2018.

The Gold Coast co-captain is set to be the biggest fish in the free agency pool next season, but gave little away when speaking to the media on Tuesday afternoon.

"I haven't set any time on that," Lynch said.

"I just want to, every day, improve the footy club and see where we're going.

"I want to see Gold Coast succeed, that's my first priority, my only priority to be honest."

Lynch said free agency was part of the game "we all need to get used to".

Last season it was his fellow co-captain Steven May who copped the scrutiny, before signing a two-year extension to tie him to the Suns until the end of 2019.

May said Lynch had every right to take his time and any prolonged negotiations would not be a distraction to either the player or club.

"We're 20 days into the last year of his contract, so he's got plenty of time," the skipper said.

"I certainly took my time, I've got different reasons to Tom.

"Tom might have some other reasons, but the one that stands out is team success.

"I'm committed to showing him we're going in the right direction and he's 100 per cent in.

"It's not going to be a distraction, it's going to be in the media a bit because he's such a high-profile player, but he's a professional and that's not going to change the way he goes about it."

New coach Stuart Dew said Lynch was "invested" and that's all he needed to know.

"I've spent a fair bit of time with him in the past six weeks in both trying to recruit players and then meeting new players," Dew said.

"That tells me what type of character he is and where his mindset is at the moment."

Lynch missed the final three games of 2017 with a knee injury but trained strongly on Monday.

Carlton will be stashing away money to get him. He's a dead set gun.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Carlton? Yeah nah.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 343 times
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:31 pm

Carlton should of been taking notes from North. Doesn’t matter how much money you throw at players if you are not a destination club. Carlton are still years away from playing finals
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 am

Jim05 wrote:Carlton should of been taking notes from North. Doesn’t matter how much money you throw at players if you are not a destination club. Carlton are still years away from playing finals

The two North courted, Martin and Kelly, are part of sides that look to be set to play finals ( win a flag in Martin's case ) for some time where as Lynch is at the rabble known as the Gold Coast, might be easier to drag him away from there than it was with Martin and Kelly.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL