Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby bennymacca » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 am

heater31 wrote:
locky801 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Id love to get an answer about why players who kick a goal come off the ground?
That annoys the **** outta me

was watching a replay today and thought the same thing. Will happen one day, a high quality player will come sprinting off and badly do a hammy or a knee. will only be time i reckon the way some absolutely sprint off :oops:
Fairly simple rotations are pre programmed to occur. Players are told to minimise the amount of time you play with one down so stoppages in play are ideal. No brainer to come off after a goal, coincidence that said player coming off kicks a goal....

Yeah you only notice it when the goal kicker goes off - not the other 3 players that are doing it as well, or the times when the goal kicker doesn’t go off
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am

Dutchy wrote:$75 :shock:

Dutchy writes - Port don't make money.

Port charge members for a once off full day behind the scenes experience.

Dutchy writes - What a rip off!

I'm assuming amber and little uk have had similar pot shots.

Sun came up this morning. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 am

bennymacca wrote:
heater31 wrote:
locky801 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Id love to get an answer about why players who kick a goal come off the ground?

was watching a replay today and thought the same thing. Will happen one day, a high quality player will come sprinting off and badly do a hammy or a knee. will only be time i reckon the way some absolutely sprint off :oops:
Fairly simple rotations are pre programmed to occur. Players are told to minimise the amount of time you play with one down so stoppages in play are ideal. No brainer to come off after a goal, coincidence that said player coming off kicks a goal....

Yeah you only notice it when the goal kicker goes off - not the other 3 players that are doing it as well, or the times when the goal kicker doesn’t go off

Correct - Not sure why the commentators always make a big deal about the goal kicker going off. Makes sense for it too happen then
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:51 am

It makes sense for players to come on and off when they're near the interchange bench.

It doesn't make sense to have a bloke sprint 80-100m from the other side of the field after he's just kicked a goal to take a break. Why not let him suck it in for 20 seconds as the ball goes back to the middle? He's just completed a high work load by winning the ball and kicking the goal, let him take a break instead of sprinting at high intensity off the ground. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes I can't work it out.

My biggest gripe is when an opportunist forward snaffles one and is taken off, they often run hot and can get 2 or 3 in quick succession, leave them out there FFS!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 am

Dutchy wrote:

Simply its one of the few breaks in a game of footy these days where the game completely stops. Therefore needs to be used to make changes/rotations.
But why not take off another player??

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 am

Sure does for me too, imagine the likes of Gary Ablett Snr doing that? A man capable of kicking 4 goals in 5 minutes and turning the game on it's arse.

Strike while the irons hot I say.

I've heard theories on the reasoning but I can't digest any of them.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:01 am

Booney wrote:It makes sense for players to come on and off when they're near the interchange bench.

It doesn't make sense to have a bloke sprint 80-100m from the other side of the field after he's just kicked a goal to take a break. Why not let him suck it in for 20 seconds as the ball goes back to the middle? He's just completed a high work load by winning the ball and kicking the goal, let him take a break instead of sprinting at high intensity off the ground. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes I can't work it out.

My biggest gripe is when an opportunist forward snaffles one and is taken off, they often run hot and can get 2 or 3 in quick succession, leave them out there FFS!

That was my sentiment.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:02 am

Sports scientists have screwed AFL

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:03 am

Booney wrote:It makes sense for players to come on and off when they're near the interchange bench.

Are you prepared to concede the fitness staff and coaches know more than the average punter? I am, so if that’s the way they wanna do the rotations then fair enough.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:03 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sports scientists have screwed AFL

Stephen Dank?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sports scientists have screwed AFL

Stephen Dank?
I thought he was a psychopath???

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 am

bennymacca wrote:

Are you prepared to concede the fitness staff and coaches know more than the average punter? I am, so if that’s the way they wanna do the rotations then fair enough.

Of course they are, but you're not talking with average punters in here. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Of course they are, but you're not talking with average punters in here. ;)

Exactly....this isnt bigfooty
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am

bennymacca wrote:

So no one is allowed an opinion? Why don't 4 of the forwards that didn't kick a goal come off?

What would be you reasoning for thinking it's better if the goal scorer came off?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

So no one is allowed an opinion? Why don't 4 of the forwards that didn't kick a goal come off?

What would be you reasoning for thinking it's better if the goal scorer came off?

I didn’t say we can’t have an opinion.

I am just saying I believe the fitness staff would know about the player conditioning than we do.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 am

I think the player coming off after a goal is not fitness related. If I remember correctly, it's related to their mindset in that they can be a bit "drinking their own bath water" type of thing after a goal, thinking about that they just scored and enjoying the moment. rather than sticking to the process.

Don't quote me on it though.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm

MW wrote:I think the player coming off after a goal is not fitness related. If I remember correctly, it's related to their mindset in that they can be a bit "drinking their own bath water" type of thing after a goal, thinking about that they just scored and enjoying the moment. rather than sticking to the process.

Don't quote me on it though.

Too late for that now. :D
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Crows must be loving all the attention on the Showdown rivals.

#flyundertheradar
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Crows must be loving all the attention on the Showdown rivals.

#flyundertheradar

After the hiding we copped between losing the grand final and the end of trade week, it makes for a nice change :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Crows must be loving all the attention on the Showdown rivals.

#flyundertheradar

After the hiding we copped between losing the grand final and the end of trade week, it makes for a nice change :)

You copped a hiding for losing the Grand final? Purrrlease, we're nowhere near done with you. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL