Netflix

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: Netflix

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Does Netflix have sports doco's? Probably a stupid question but stiff shit.

Last chance u
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:05 am

HH3 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
HH3 wrote:@Magellan

I got through the first 3 episodes on Manhunter last night.

The most interesting show I've watched in a while.

Very strangely, I was actually reading about Ed Kemper two or three weeks ago. It was the first time I'd heard of him. I researched a fair bit that night. The guy that plays him is really good. A great storyteller within a story.

Glad you’ve been enjoying it, we’ve also really found it interesting. Watched the first 5 episodes.

The resemblance of the guy playing Ed Kemper is spot on, certainly from a physical perspective (didn’t really know much about him until I started watching this show).

Apparently its based on a book (can’t remember its title) which might be worth a read as well.

I also like that most of the gorey details are spoken about, but not shown. Most shows would go the "shock factor" avenue, which gets boring.

I probably would never have clicked on the show if you hadn't pointed it out. The thumbnails so bland that I've probably scrolled past it 100 times already.

And the title doesn't really do the content of the story justice. I also would've missed it if I wasn't told what it was actually about.

@HH3 We've just finished Mindhunters and in its place had a look at 'American Justice' on the SBS on demand site. So far there's only three episodes up (dunno if that's all they've done) but it looks at various aspects of the criminal justice system in Florida, which has lots of crime and the death penalty (probably suggests the death penalty doesn't work?). Apart from examining specific cases and the role of the cops it also looks at the district attorneys, and the fact they're elected to their roles. The first episode shows one of the DAs wrestling over whether to seek life (they have no parole in Florida) or the death penalty for an accused man, where the decision is entirely at the DA's discretion. A pretty full-on decision for one individual to make.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 am

That sounds good too. I might actually switch between them.

Is it real life, or a dramatisation?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm

HH3 wrote:That sounds good too. I might actually switch between them.

Is it real life, or a dramatisation?

It's a real-life documentary.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 am

Watched the first two eps of the punisher last night. Really liked it.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Watched the first two eps of the punisher last night. Really liked it.
I've got one episode left now, it's been fantastic and has actually had quite a bit of depth to it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 am

Been checking out a couple of shows in the last week or so.

"Dark" is worth a look if you're into "Stranger Things." It's a German production (and unfortunately, dubbed into American English) set in a small town with a nuclear reactor, some spooky underground caves, and a history of kids going missing. The plot plays out in 2019 and 1986, and there's a bit of time travel involved. The story starts to get a bit tough to negotiate because you've got the same characters existing in two time zones, and there are quite a few characters. Nevertheless, it's worth your time if you like something a bit thought provoking.

I found "Frankie and Grace" to be quite funny in a lightweight kind of way, despite its apparent baby-boomer appeal. Impressive cast (Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen, and Sam Waterston), the story involves the unlikely odd couple friendship between Fonda (snooty businesswoman) and Tomlin (hippy), whose respective husbands (Sheen and Waterston) are gay, fall in love and divorce their wives. They all get on like a big extended family, and the situations between them and their kids play out like a typical sitcom. Nothing groundbreaking, but amusing if you're in the mood for a laugh and there's nothing better to watch.

Had a look at "Victoria" (as season 2 of "The Crown" arrives on Friday) which is about Queen Victoria's rise to the throne, and I couldn't get past halfway of the first episode. Bored me to tears. Probably not surprising in hindsight.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:59 am

Magellan wrote: It's a German production (and unfortunately, dubbed into American English)

I tweeted Netflix about this on Sunday night. I was starting to watch Suburra and the dubbing was really annoying. El Chapo was also dubbed, but bearable. Surely we're not so insular, in this day and age, we can't watch something with subtitles?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Magellan wrote: It's a German production (and unfortunately, dubbed into American English)

I tweeted Netflix about this on Sunday night. I was starting to watch Suburra and the dubbing was really annoying. El Chapo was also dubbed, but bearable. Surely we're not so insular, in this day and age, we can't watch something with subtitles?

You don't get the same integration and nuances that you get when the actor performing is also speaking the lines. It gives the performances a stilted and artificial feel.

And you're right, we can deal with reading subtitles in 2017. We've had them in television and cinema for so long now and are trained in reading, listening and watching that it doesn't take away from the experience. I guess the Yanks still struggle with it, hence the American accented voice-overs.

I think it taps into the same phenomenon that somehow compels Americans to remake an Australian show like "No Activity" (worth a squiz if you haven't already seen it, it's on Stan) with 99% American actors like Will Ferrell, when the show as originally conceived and performed is already perfectly adequate and entertaining.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm

I watched a Korean movie called The Merciless on a plane recently and it was brilliant - the fact I was watching with subtitles didn't detract from it. It can add to a film, in fact.

Interestingly, I learnt that the Korean translation for gay/fag to English was "evil". The word "garbage" or "rubbish" is substituted for most swear words.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Kahuna » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:

Agreed, Narcos had plenty of subs and is a superb show.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Watched the first couple of episodes of season two of "The Crown" last night, and the high standard continues. Looking forward to getting stuck into it over the next week or so.
Magellan
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 am

We started on The Sinner last night...
Got through 5 episodes...

You certainly need to push through the first couple of episodes though..
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 pm

@Magellan

I havent watched that show on SBS yet, but there's a series on Netflix called The Confession Tapes I smashed out over the weekend.

It's about possible false confessions.

Really can't decide who to believe. It messes you up watching it though. Half way through an episode I think they did it, at the end think they didn't, or have no idea.

Crazy.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 pm

I havent watched that show on SBS yet, but there's a series on Netflix called The Confession Tapes I smashed out over the weekend.

Really can't decide who to believe. It messes you up watching it though. Half way through an episode I think they did it, at the end think they didn't, or have no idea.

Crazy.

Cheers for that. We’ve had a look at The Confession Tapes. You’re right, its pretty ****** up. I thought the scarier thing was how the cops were prepared to exploit the vulnerabilities of people (who should be represented) in order to get someone that is most plausibly connected to the crime to be locked up. Also, IIRC all the cases seeemed to have evidence that indicated some degre of reasonable doubt, but in each case the accused was convicted.
Magellan
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:53 am

Magellan wrote:

Crazy.

Cheers for that. We’ve had a look at The Confession Tapes. You’re right, its pretty ****** up. I thought the scarier thing was how the cops were prepared to exploit the vulnerabilities of people (who should be represented) in order to get someone that is most plausibly connected to the crime to be locked up. Also, IIRC all the cases seeemed to have evidence that indicated some degre of reasonable doubt, but in each case the accused was convicted.

Yeah every case pretty much had no evidence pointing towards the person convicted, except the coerced confession. The only one I think actually did it was the guy who drove his family into the river.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 am

HH3 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Crazy.

Yeah every case pretty much had no evidence pointing towards the person convicted, except the coerced confession. The only one I think actually did it was the guy who drove his family into the river.

Interesting. I thought there was reasonable doubt given that make of car had a well-known reputation for stuck accelerators (or something similar IIRC), which was borne out when they did their little experiment with the car after they pulled it out of the river. It was certainly plausible that a fault with the car could have been the cause.
Magellan
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:11 am

Magellan wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Crazy.

Interesting. I thought there was reasonable doubt given that make of car had a well-known reputation for stuck accelerators (or something similar IIRC), which was borne out when they did their little experiment with the car after they pulled it out of the river. It was certainly plausible that a fault with the car could have been the cause.

Yeah, I don't think he should have been convicted. There was definitely reasonable doubt. But my gut feel was he did it. I did think during it that reasonable doubt was thrown out in all of these cases and everyone went in convinced of their guilt before the trials even started.

When they questioned the jurors about how much coverage they'd seen of the case beforehand, and still let them sit on the jury, red flags went up. I don't think the media could believe it.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:32 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:We started on The Sinner last night...
Got through 5 episodes...

You certainly need to push through the first couple of episodes though..

That ended abruptly
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Netflix

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Brendan Dassey’s (of making a murderer) appeal denied.

Amazing
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment