Adelaide Crows 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

Postby mots02 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:48 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:It’s an interesting point he makes - adelaide is certainly a fish bowl when it comes to footy. Not sure how many of our other players that have left that it would have affected but I guess it’s another factor

It's not a factor, if it was Port would have the same issues with player retention.

It's clearly not a factor for Port as all we hear about during the year from Port fans is that Adelaide has a ''crowscentric media' , ''crowvertiser'', ''crowey'' etc.... you guys whinge all of the time that no body gives you enough attention, perhaps with these things in mind you should start being pleased about that ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby MW » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:It’s an interesting point he makes - adelaide is certainly a fish bowl when it comes to footy. Not sure how many of our other players that have left that it would have affected but I guess it’s another factor

It's not a factor, if it was Port would have the same issues with player retention.

The scrutiny on Crows players in this state is much higher than Port players.

Expectations are higher also.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

With all due respect, port haven’t had too many good players recently that might have wanted to leave. Wines and boak are the only ones that have even seemed to generate any headlines

Secondly - you seem to have had issues with player retention this year (though obviously offset by the recruits) - but can you say for sure that the fish bowl effect of adelaide has had zero effect on everyone that has left?

It wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to suggest it had an effect on impey for example

Correct, that's because they've signed on to stay well before the conjecture and endless scuttlebutt begins. ;)

Like all clubs Port turned over some players who weren't part of our long term future this year, Trengove aside, I agree with Lobbe, Young, Ah Chee etc being released for more opportunity elsewhere as they weren't going to get it here. Impey might come back to bite us, he and Trengove are one and the same person almost and you could say Impey was looking to get out of Adelaide and back to family in Victoria. I'll give you that one. One.

Just face it, Adelaide have a problem with retaining players that isn't reflected across the road at Alberton.

Boak and Dangerfield would be wonderful case studies to look at. Both from the coast down near Geelong so the lure of "home" is much the same that coastal surf life, both had the pull of family ( Boak's father passed away and he, as you can imagine, is extremely close to his Mum and sister ), both were/are seen as leaders around their respective clubs, both have multiple AA selections, both have club best and fairest, one chose to stay and one chose to leave.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:52 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

The scrutiny on Crows players in this state is much higher than Port players.

Bullshit I say, bullshit.

You tell me the next time you see Walker or Jenkins sitting in the club talking to some rusted on supporters about why things aren't going as they should or why things are looking rosey. It's a regular occurrence at Alberton.

Perhaps the Crows boys are too far detached from their supporters and when they do get exposed to Joe Average they're not equipped to deal with it as well?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:The scrutiny on Crows players in this state is much higher than Port players.

You tell me the next time you see Walker or Jenkins sitting in the club talking to some rusted on supporters about why things aren't going as they should or why things are looking rosey. It's a regular occurrence at Alberton.

I agree, it's bullshit - Port get scrutinised more in the media than the Crows - the Crows are put on a pedestal like they're SA royalty.

The supporters of the Crows however place unrealistic expectations on them as a result of the endless positive media attention, and they're very quick to turn on their own when things go sour, or players leave.

Case in point Charlie Cameron - discussing the trade period at cricket Saturday, had 4 Crows supporters in my side and they chucked the knives into Cameron hard, and said they were happy he left because apart from being quick he's an average players... same has happened with every Crows player whose left.

Why would you want to play for a club like that? Crows supporters are bipolar.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:The scrutiny on Crows players in this state is much higher than Port players.

I agree, it's bullshit - Port get scrutinised more in the media than the Crows - the Crows are put on a pedestal like they're SA royalty.

The supporters of the Crows however place unrealistic expectations on them as a result of the endless positive media attention, and they're very quick to turn on their own when things go sour, or players leave.

Case in point Charlie Cameron - discussing the trade period at cricket Saturday, had 4 Crows supporters in my side and they chucked the knives into Cameron hard, and said they were happy he left because apart from being quick he's an average players... same has happened with every Crows player whose left.

Why would you want to play for a club like that? Crows supporters are bipolar.

:roll: yeh because 4 Crows fans in your div 12 cricket team speak on behalf of the entire supporter base :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Are you guys really arguing who cops more flack?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 pm

mighty hounds wrote: :roll: yeh because 4 Crows fans in your div 12 cricket team speak on behalf of the entire supporter base :lol:

Small sample size I know.. but 4 is more than enough :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Are you guys really arguing who cops more flack?

This is SA - Crows & Port supporters argue over anything and everything :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm

If you're focusing on that part of the discussion then yes, if you're taking a more holistic view it's part of a wider discussion looking at why Adelaide suffer from players walking out more than Port Adelaide do.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

The Bedge wrote:
mighty hounds wrote: :roll: yeh because 4 Crows fans in your div 12 cricket team speak on behalf of the entire supporter base :lol:

They were all knitting at the tea break while they ate their apricot slice, but that's not relevant here.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

They were all knitting at the tea break while they ate their apricot slice, but that's not relevant here.

and celebrated every boundary with their little clapper:
Attachments
crows clapper.png
crows clapper.png (26.24 KiB) Viewed 629 times
The Bedge
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Booney wrote:

If you're focusing on that part of the discussion then yes, if you're taking a more holistic view it's part of a wider discussion looking at why Adelaide suffer from players walking out more than Port Adelaide do.

Ahhh k...

It has always amazed how home sick players get when they play for the crows... port do retain their best players better than the crows...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 pm

I agree Port being a smaller club don't cop anywhere near the scrutiny that the Crows do. They're the Clippers to our Lakers and that's the way it will always be. There's pros and cons in that.

On Charlie I'm happy for him as much as I'll miss seeing him play for the Crows. He was one of my favourite players on the team with his unparalleled speed, almost super human tackling ability and his ability to impact a game with one individual act of athletic brilliance.

He gets to go back to home to his family and friends in Brisbane and escape all the media attention the Crows get in SA. Although I doubt he will have the team and personal success there that he would've had here he's not from an aussie rules mad city and I can certainly sympathise with how uncomfortable that might be for someone in his shoes.

Good luck to him and thanks for the great memories at the Crows.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:54 pm

I don’t actually mind when players leave believe it or not. It’s a professional sport. It happens. What I can’t stomach is when they are not up front to the supporter base.

Bock and Davis - got massive deals they couldn’t refuse.

Dangerfield handled himself brilliantly imo, Cameron too.

Tippett Gunston and lever? Yeah nah
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:I don’t actually mind when players leave believe it or not. It’s a professional sport. It happens. What I can’t stomach is when they are not up front to the supporter base.

What was the difference between Dangerfield, Cameron compared to Gunston and Lever?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:I don’t actually mind when players leave believe it or not. It’s a professional sport. It happens. What I can’t stomach is when they are not up front to the supporter base.

Why do they need to be upfront to the supporter base? If they go, they go. Doesn't matter what the reason is and they don't need to explain themselves to the supporters.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 pm

None of these have been "up front with the supporter base" though, the industry doesn't yet allow it, not so much not allowed, we can't stomach it yet as supporters. Dangerfield and Lever spent 12 months saying "I'm in no rush to make a decision and I'll work through it with my manager at the end of the year". Much like Sloane is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Why do they need to be? Why would they say anything mid season?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Tippett was the only one who handled it poorly IMO.

Caqmeron was worse than Gunston, Lever or Paddy.

Adelaide Football Club is the modern day Hotel California.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL