The Ashes 2017/2018

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2017/2018

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:49 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Although Sayers appears to be the next in line, let's not forget Bird is in the squad, was released to play in Adelaide over the weekend and collected 8/81 for the game.

Perhaps his efforts will elevate him above Sayers who was forced to sit out and watch the Aussies in Brisbane.

I'm not much of a risk take and prefer what I know so personally in a tight Ashes series I would be going with the infirm bloke with a test bowling average of 25 over a debutant.

For me Birds experience albeit small amount is the deciding factors between two blokes almost impossible to seperate on any ability

I'd go with the only bowler of his generation with a first class average under 24.

And that's fair enough

I guess that's why these forums exsist coz there is no right or wrong until after the event and we all have opinions
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Steve Smith is an absolute freak, still can't believe the way he has turned himself into such a brilliant, dependable and adaptable test match batsman. I will keep referring back to these tables and keep comparing his stats with others. Hope he keeps going the way he is!

ImageImage
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:49 pm

He’ll be equal with Chappell by the end of the series
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Those tables just remind me how much of a freak Bradman truly was!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Q. » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Booney wrote:Bancrofts post match interview.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/cric ... -on!654231

[emoji38]
Who would call themselves a journo? How embarrassing for those clowns.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 am

Picture doing the rounds of Ben Stokes at an airport with all his cricket gear. On his way to Australia?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:18 am

Brodlach wrote:Picture doing the rounds of Ben Stokes at an airport with all his cricket gear. On his way to Australia?
Michael Vaughan on twitter denying this.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 am

The Bedge wrote:Those tables just remind me how much of a freak Bradman truly was!
Better than all of them, he did it on wickets that had no covers.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 am

heater31 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Picture doing the rounds of Ben Stokes at an airport with all his cricket gear. On his way to Australia?
Michael Vaughan on twitter denying this.....

Apparently heading to NZ to visit family.....but it gets him a hell of a lot closer to Australia for when the call eventually comes.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:43 am

Agree, why take your cricket gear on holiday with you?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 am

Brodlach wrote:Agree, why take your cricket gear on holiday with you?

To belt someone at the airport and claim it was self defence, you just happened to have your cricket bat handy.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am

Professional cricketer, would still need to practise.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 am

WGAF
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:14 pm

helicopterking wrote:

Professional cricketer, would still need to practise.

That’s a good point
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:46 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Those tables just remind me how much of a freak Bradman truly was!

The old covers chestnut. That one always makes me laugh. If it doesn't rain for 3 or 4 days leading up to a game of cricket and not during the game then what benefit are covers anyway. The way "experts" throw around the "no covers in those days" comments would make you think that covers have made batting so much easier even when it doesn't rain for a month of Sunday's. And do we know for sure that pre World War 2 groundsman didn't use rudimentary means to protect their wickets in the lead up to a game even if the laws back then didn't allow or didn't account for the use of covers once the game had commenced. No doubt that Trumper, Bradman, Hobbs, Hammond et al played on some soft stickies that the current day player isn't exposed to but anyone would think that in the "good ole days" it used to rain all summer in the cricket playing nations.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
heater31 wrote:

The old covers chestnut. That one always makes me laugh. If it doesn't rain for 3 or 4 days leading up to a game of cricket and not during the game then what benefit are covers anyway. The way "experts" throw around the "no covers in those days" comments would make you think that covers have made batting so much easier even when it doesn't rain for a month of Sunday's. And do we know for sure that pre World War 2 groundsman didn't use rudimentary means to protect their wickets in the lead up to a game even if the laws back then didn't allow or didn't account for the use of covers once the game had commenced. No doubt that Trumper, Bradman, Hobbs, Hammond et al played on some soft stickies that the current day player isn't exposed to but anyone would think that in the "good ole days" it used to rain all summer in the cricket playing nations.

I think it's a more than valid point.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Pitches would've been very average by the end of tests, not just the start. I doubt there would've been groundsman who were committed full time to producing a beautiful deck like these days.

Not just soft sticky wickets, would've got a few that crumbled or opened up badly over the course of a game.

Think pitch difference is a valid point.

Apart from the pitches though, bats weren't nearly as good as now and grounds were full size, not roped off 20m in like these days as well.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
heater31 wrote:

He did play a number of games in England.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:32 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:
heater31 wrote:

He did play a number of games in England.

Never played outside of England and Australia if I remember correctly
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 pm

It has been pretty standard throughout cricket's history that a batsman who averages 40 is a good player and someone who averages 50+ is a great player.

Perhaps a few more are tipping over the 50 threshold now compared to previously but it's still a pretty decent measure of a player's worth. Times change, pitches change, rules change but that 40/50 mark remains a pretty solid guide.

There is just one outlier in any era - Bradman.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket