North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
MW wrote:would rather retire than play out his contract at North

They probably paid him next years wage just to get him off the books?

They're paying Swallow not to play and Thomas to play for Port... :( :(
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Another great decision by the footy club, why have him playing VFL all year? He won't lose financially and gets him to move on to whatever he wants to do next, been a great servant. Well done Spitta.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:Another great decision by the footy club, why have him playing VFL all year? He won't lose financially and gets him to move on to whatever he wants to do next, been a great servant. Well done Spitta.

Spot on Dutch.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Spargo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:48 am

Jamie Macmillan signs on to the end of 2020.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 am

Read this with straight face.... :D

ONE OF the AFL's great stayers is hoping a switch of numbers will turn around his injury fortunes.

North Melbourne colossus Majak Daw has handed in his former No.38 and will revive the No.1 next year, ending the jumper's two-season hiatus at Arden St.

Daw, 26, has played 32 games in eight seasons at the Kangaroos and never more than nine in any one year, in part because of a wide array of injuries.

Fellow ruckman Daniel Currie was the last to don Daw's new number on his back in the 2014 and 2015 seasons, playing four games in it for three goals.

"Maybe it's the change I need," Daw told NMFC.com.au.

"Changing my number was the last thing on my mind, but I asked the club to give me a couple of days to think about it.

"I'll be on the other side of the locker room now – I'm excited about it."

Former North and Geelong big man Hamish McIntosh (106) is the only player at the club to rack up triple-figure matches in the No.1 out of the past 12 wearers.

Bernie McCarthy's 148 games are the most at the Roos in the number, with John Lewis donning it 103 times and booting 117 goals in the 1930s.

Les Foote, Kevin Dynon, Gary Cowton, Peter Keenan and Jose Romero also wore the No.1 with distinction.

"A lot of key forwards and ruckmen have worn that number at North and I guess I really fit that mould," Daw said.

"Maybe I will feel a bit lighter in the No.1."

Daw is contracted at North Melbourne through the 2019 season, but faces significant competition for a spot against fellow ruckmen Todd Goldstein and Braydon Preuss.

He is likely to join the main training group in December after minor post-season ankle surgery.

"There is pressure on me to start performing, being consistent, playing more games and having more of an impact, but that's not a bad thing," Daw said.

"A little bit of pressure can hopefully make me improve and compete with that ruck-forward position with Goldy and Preussy."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-14/n ... s-the-part
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 am

[quote="Booney”] “There is pressure on me to start performing, being consistent, playing more games and having more of an impact, but that's not a bad thing," Daw said.

"A little bit of pressure can hopefully make me improve and compete with that ruck-forward position with Goldy and Preussy."[/quote]

He’s on his last chance, he knows that but he’s third in line.
North still believe with an uninterrupted preseason & off field crap behind him that Goldy is still the number one big man - Preuss before injuring himself was starting to challenge last year.
Daw simply needs to find some real mongrel which I’m not sure he has. Start jumping into blokes at marking contests, hurting them, asserting himself.
His ruck work has vastly improved, his consistency & ability to run to the right spots is the concern.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 am

He played 9 games in 2016 ( the most he's played in one season ) and he got a 3 year contract!

He's not on his last legs at all, he's/you've got another 2 years of him spudding it up in the VFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:18 am

I'm surprised Port didn't offer him a contract!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 am

MW wrote:I'm surprised Port didn't offer him a contract!

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:51 am

I'm sure they met.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I'm sure they met.

Yeah he wasn’t old enough to be considered..........
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 am

Another outstanding result by the club, debt from $8m to $850k during this period also. While others would blame their poor financial results on poor on-field results, we show with shrewd management the off-field can deliver no matter what happens on-field.

Despite a tough year on the field, North Melbourne is pleased to announce another profit, underlining the success of the club's prudent management and strategically run business.

A net profit of $242,656 (after depreciation and amortisation) for the financial year ended 31 October 2017, is the club's ninth profit in the past ten years.

The club had an operating surplus of $633,625 (before amortisation of training facility) and an increase in year-on-year revenue of $1.2m to $39.7m.

Despite a challenging year and tough economic environment, North Managing Director and CEO Carl Dilena said the result was a credit to the club's loyal supporters and commercial partners, and its hard working staff.

"For perhaps the first time in our club's recent history, the business has been able to absorb a much softer year on the field, which impacts areas such as consumer business and membership, and has been able to come out the other side in really good shape.

"All North members, contributors and partners should be proud of what we've achieved as a club continually over the past decade, because the level of stability and strength we have maintained to this point, is largely due to their ongoing support and loyalty."

Also significant was the club's ability to further pay down its once crippling debt that added up to more than $8 million in 2011.

“Our debt reduction campaign has been a tremendous success and again, with the support of our members and fans, we've been able to pay down our debt by another $400k,"Dilena added.

"To have that once heavy weight lifted and very manageable at around $850k, is really an outstanding effort in such a short amount of time. We have constantly proven for the past decade that we are a responsibly run and progressive club."

While Dilena was happy to pause to acknowledge the result, he was quick to point out that North could not afford to rest on its laurels.

“We are moving in the right direction but there is a lot of work to be done,” he stated.

"The introduction of a VFL side in 2018 and AFLW side in 2019 will provide us with opportunities to grow our supporter base and business, but also comes with associated risks that we must guard against with continued responsible management and hard work.

"We have submitted plans to extend our training facility to accommodate our new AFLW and VFL players and staff and we are working closely with key stakeholders regarding the planned redevelopment of the wider North Melbourne precinct.

"In the meantime, we must maintain a steady focus on climbing back up the ladder and adequately supporting our young playing list. We must attract new supporters and sponsors and further expand our secondary markets in Tasmania and Wyndham. We have to increase our attendances at games and encourage those that can't make it, to tune in on TV.

"There are exciting times ahead and the upside for our club is enormous."
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:22 am

How much does North spend on it's football department?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 am

Shrewd operator is Dilena, gets the job done with minimal fanfare.
That the club is doing this without a cent of pokie revenue is something to be very proud of.
With the plans for a massive upgrade to Arden St in motion, our own AFLW & VFL sides entering their respective comps and a senior side full of very promising kids, the future looks extremely bright - and secure.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:15 am

Booney wrote:How much does North spend on it's football department?

Don't know, not sure this info is released and not sure it is relevant anyway. More important how you utilize what you have got and do spend.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:17 am

Spargo wrote:Shrewd operator is Dilena, gets the job done with minimal fanfare.
That the club is doing this without a cent of pokie revenue is something to be very proud of.
With the plans for a massive upgrade to Arden St in motion, our own AFLW & VFL sides entering their respective comps and a senior side full of very promising kids, the future looks extremely bright - and secure.

Also the ONLY club not receiving pokie income, 17 others are on the drip feed.

Also achieved with a shithouse Etihad stadium deal.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am

Dutchy wrote:

Don't know, not sure this info is released and not sure it is relevant anyway. More important how you utilize what you have got and do spend.

Well, it is relevant. If your football department spend is in the bottom few and your on field return is in the bottom few then profit schmofit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 am

Dutchy wrote:

And a shithouse membership tally
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 am

MW wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

And a shithouse membership tally

Dumb comment/poor troll attempt.
Over 40k this year & 45k last year (only 9k less than Adelaide).

Spargo
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Well, it is relevant. If your football department spend is in the bottom few and your on field return is in the bottom few then profit schmofit.

You don't get my point, if football department spend = success then either Collingwood & Essendon would win every year and Bulldogs would not have won last year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL