Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 am

Im still waiting for Booney's epic reviews from weekend...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11848 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Sushi Train St Clair. Kids love it...they have no idea. Boring as ****. Boring food. Yeah ill stsnd and and wait but gimme a beer. They eventually did.
3/10

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby MatteeG » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 am

Mr Beefy wrote:Sushi Train St Clair. Kids love it...they have no idea. Boring as ****. Boring food. Yeah ill stsnd and and wait but gimme a beer. They eventually did.
3/10

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Our kids love Sushi Train at Unley- we all do actually. Key is to get there before or after meal rushes. 5pm dinner works well.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 am

Bombay Bicycle Club :

Went along with the wifes workmates for their Xmas Party on Saturday night. We were booked in the "Board Room", a small, private room.

When I say small it would suit a group of 6-8 perfectly, our group of 14 was far too large for this room which resulted in every time someone needed to go to the bathroom from the "far side" of the room ( furthest the door ) every one between them and the door had to stand to allow that person through. As we were a group all in good spirits we decided bathroom breaks would be in order, one out, all out, so to speak. This also proved problematic for getting drinks, in the end the groups nearest the door took cash from the groups furthest from the door and went to collect rounds of drinks. Not ideal.

The waitress had trouble getting around the table too, so took orders from the door.

If you haven't been the Bombay Bicycle Club is Indian themed, when I say themed I mean completely and ridiculously over themed Indian decor. It's impossible to describe. You'll need to go and check it out.

Mrs Boon and yours truly aren't big curry lovers, we'll have some Butter chicken from time to time, we'll have the odd Thai green curry, but we're not big Indian food lovers. Fortunately there's still standard pub fare on offer so we went Turkish bread entree and both decided on the Rack of Lamb for mains. The waiter noted Rack of lamb medium, as we had ordered, could be up to 40 minutes. We were all in for the long haul so go ahead, we said. Almost all of the others in the group went a Trio of Curries or Thali Plate, both offer a small platter of Naan bread and curries.

Our Turkish bread entree arrived within minutes of ordering, short on oil/dressing but what was on the very hard bread was nice. Thinking service was going to be quick we were a little worried about how long our lamb would take. No need.

Around 30 minutes after ordering none of the people who had ordered the curries had their meals. Two people went crumbed prawns, they arrived about 40 minutes after ordering, our lamb came with them and the curries soon followed.

Our lamb was superb. A nice sized 4 rib rack arrived with some thick cut chips and a peppery coleslaw. The lamb was just short of medium, crispy on the outside a sweet and tender inside. The chips were as good as chips get and the 'slaw was plentiful and tasty. For $31 I think it was good value, rack of lamb is always pretty good and this one was up there. All the curry munchers were ooh-ing and ahh-ing at their meals, I can't speak for them but they all said the meals were great. From a portion size they certainly couldn't have complained.

We really enjoyed our meal, we thought the room was far too small for 14 people and the service was ok to fair.

We went into the lounge bar / al fresco area after dinner as "live music" was on offer, it was basically a chick doing her own favorite songs karaoke style with an i-Pad running through a speaker. Hmmmm

Drinks aren't cheap, $8.50 standard pints, Mrs Boon's Alicante was $52 per bottle and not sold by the glass so $9 glasses of Ruby Tuesday Rose were in order.

The meal was really nice, I'll give them that. The venue is over the top, the service ok and the room too small for the size of our group.

6/10 and I can't see me rushing back there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 am

BBC seems like a place that was perfect in the early 2000s in terms of what people wanted, and hasnt moved with the times
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am

Never was a fan of the BBC, theme was over the top and the elephant/monkey noises annoyed me... only reason I went was for the 100 club with mates.

Even that turned into a sour experience - was with a few mates doing rounds, mate before my round was a cheap mid strength Aussie beer - about $5 and when my round came around I was lucky enough to strike the beer that was $14 :lol:

His round cost $20 - mine cost $56 :(
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 am

Booney wrote:Bombay Bicycle Club :

Went along with the wifes workmates for their Xmas Party on Saturday night. We were booked in the "Board Room", a small, private room.

When I say small it would suit a group of 6-8 perfectly, our group of 14 was far too large for this room which resulted in every time someone needed to go to the bathroom from the "far side" of the room ( furthest the door ) every one between them and the door had to stand to allow that person through. As we were a group all in good spirits we decided bathroom breaks would be in order, one out, all out, so to speak. This also proved problematic for getting drinks, in the end the groups nearest the door took cash from the groups furthest from the door and went to collect rounds of drinks. Not ideal.

The waitress had trouble getting around the table too, so took orders from the door.

If you haven't been the Bombay Bicycle Club is Indian themed, when I say themed I mean completely and ridiculously over themed Indian decor. It's impossible to describe. You'll need to go and check it out.

Mrs Boon and yours truly aren't big curry lovers, we'll have some Butter chicken from time to time, we'll have the odd Thai green curry, but we're not big Indian food lovers. Fortunately there's still standard pub fare on offer so we went Turkish bread entree and both decided on the Rack of Lamb for mains. The waiter noted Rack of lamb medium, as we had ordered, could be up to 40 minutes. We were all in for the long haul so go ahead, we said. Almost all of the others in the group went a Trio of Curries or Thali Plate, both offer a small platter of Naan bread and curries.

Our Turkish bread entree arrived within minutes of ordering, short on oil/dressing but what was on the very hard bread was nice. Thinking service was going to be quick we were a little worried about how long our lamb would take. No need.

Around 30 minutes after ordering none of the people who had ordered the curries had their meals. Two people went crumbed prawns, they arrived about 40 minutes after ordering, our lamb came with them and the curries soon followed.

Our lamb was superb. A nice sized 4 rib rack arrived with some thick cut chips and a peppery coleslaw. The lamb was just short of medium, crispy on the outside a sweet and tender inside. The chips were as good as chips get and the 'slaw was plentiful and tasty. For $31 I think it was good value, rack of lamb is always pretty good and this one was up there. All the curry munchers were ooh-ing and ahh-ing at their meals, I can't speak for them but they all said the meals were great. From a portion size they certainly couldn't have complained.

We really enjoyed our meal, we thought the room was far too small for 14 people and the service was ok to fair.

We went into the lounge bar / al fresco area after dinner as "live music" was on offer, it was basically a chick doing her own favorite songs karaoke style with an i-Pad running through a speaker. Hmmmm

Drinks aren't cheap, $8.50 standard pints, Mrs Boon's Alicante was $52 per bottle and not sold by the glass so $9 glasses of Ruby Tuesday Rose were in order.

The meal was really nice, I'll give them that. The venue is over the top, the service ok and the room too small for the size of our group.

Did they say "Thank you, come again"?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Bombay Bicycle Club :

Did they say "Thank you, come again"?

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 pm

As much as is pains me, Flagstaff Hill Hotel = banned

Was hesitant going there as have hardly ever had a good feed there (apart from when there after footy with a gut full of piss so don't care) but has some free vouchers from the footy club, just went out the back section, just no effort at all put into their food, would rather eat cardboard. Pity as the place has so much potential.

Sadly more bad pubs than good ones down south these days, if you find a good one let me know!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3501 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Not too far south but went to the Warradale once last year and it was good.

Some others might be able to say more though
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Spargo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Both these pubs are within 5 mins from my joint.
The Flaggy serves crap food & is a dump - avoid.
The Warradale is nice but a little pricey.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Pag » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Anyone in the north/north-east looking for a quality breaky, or any meal for that matter, Zitto at Golden Grove Village, Big W end.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Spargo wrote:Both these pubs are within 5 mins from my joint.

LOL @ The Flaggy!

Walking through the bistro at the Reepham last night and the missus says "why don't we ever eat here?"
"If I took you here for dinner I'd leave me" I replied with.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Grenville » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Going to the German Club Saturday arvo for a farewell do. Anyone been there recently?
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Grenville wrote:Going to the German Club Saturday arvo for a farewell do. Anyone been there recently?

Not for a couple of years, but its a place that's been pretty resistant to change over the years. I presume on the ground floor has still got the bar, the booths, the function bit out the back, and cheap German tucker. IIRC beers are pretty good value, particularly in the larger steins.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Grenville » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:Going to the German Club Saturday arvo for a farewell do. Anyone been there recently?

Not for a couple of years, but its a place that's been pretty resistant to change over the years. I presume on the ground floor has still got the bar, the booths, the function bit out the back, and cheap German tucker. IIRC beers are pretty good value, particularly in the larger steins.

Sounds good to me, cheers. Might need to have a few, going to be surrounded by Norwood supporters all arvo.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Spargo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Sounds good to me, cheers. Might need to have a few, going to be surrounded by Norwood supporters all arvo.

Hope you’re up to date with all your shots too...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Grenville » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:26 pm

Spargo wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Hope you’re up to date with all your shots too...

Had my anti smugs today. To be honest two of my best mates are Legs supporters that will be there and the bloke who the farewell do is for is a Legs supporter and a deadset f***en legend. Being a nice fella I got him a Trevor Hill fridge magnet as a going away present and will be wearing my 2010 premiership shirt on the day.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Spargo wrote:Both these pubs are within 5 mins from my joint.

The Morphett Arms(same owners as the Warradale) is pretty good too in that area.

I went the Flaggy last week and it was pretty good.
I hear it can be hit and miss though.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Had a good session at the German Club this arvo. Tucker was good, the bountiful beers were top value. Had 6 Legs supporters around me but had a ripper day. Top blokes and a quality venue.
Grenville
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion