Salary Cap Investigations

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 pm

jo172 wrote:I tend to suspect the answer is the SANFL re-assessing it's spot in the footy landscape.

One question, how long is the SANFL Reserves comp for this world? Take the money saved from that, apply it to the senior salary cap/salaries would seem to be a pretty good first step to me.
Getting rid of them is only going to save about $40k approximately per year. Just enough for another top line player.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:11 pm

heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:I tend to suspect the answer is the SANFL re-assessing it's spot in the footy landscape.

One question, how long is the SANFL Reserves comp for this world? Take the money saved from that, apply it to the senior salary cap/salaries would seem to be a pretty good first step to me.
Getting rid of them is only going to save about $40k approximately per year. Just enough for another top line player.

Forget topline then, enough to spread around 2-3 players to stop any perceived drain to Community Football.

Hell, $40k per year is 75% of the C9AFL salary cap!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm

jo172 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Forget topline then, enough to spread around 2-3 players to stop any perceived drain to Community Football.

Hell, $40k per year is 75% of the C9AFL salary cap!

There would be country footballers on 30k, spreading 40k between 3 in the SANFL isnt going to make them chosse the SANFL
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bird of prey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 pm

That's why our whole footy set up is F******!!

SANFL clubs can't pay close to that, mediocre amateur players get payed more than a SANFL player to go country, less training, less commitment etc.

Salary caps should be brought in and enforced where the ammo/country clubs have restrictions more severe than state league

Jim, if he's showing the same commitment to Wallaroo as a AFL player then perhaps he'd be worth it, otherwise no bloody chance[/quote]

Or better yet, why dont the AFL fund the state comps so they have a decent salary cap level, it should be at least double what it is now to allow the SANFL to pay more.[/quote]

SANFL Clubs need to be allowed to pay more. You start restricting country footy/saafl & you start losing more talent to vic leagues where the teams on the bottom end of the ladder can spend well over $100k & that's not even breaking rules. Not only are SANFL players heading to Vic but also local footy talent & it then creates this cycle of saafl/country/sanfl battling off to cover the gaps left from top end players heading over the border.

Coming down on saafl/country footy won't help the sanfl a great deal, will only hurt local footy. We can't do anything about what goes on over the border, sanfl club just need to be allowed to spend more.

I could be way off with this but that just my opinion haha[/quote]

Do you really think the SANFL clubs could afford a bigger salary cap? Half the clubs can't even afford what they pay at the moment, let alone if it were raised another $50k-$100k/year.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Fevola 25 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:09 pm

They appear to have struck Oil in the Willaston area if the whispers are true. i Reckon Tanunda may have tapped there own well as well.
Fevola 25

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Mallala

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:16 pm

[quote="Fevola 25"]They appear to have struck Oil in the Willaston area if the whispers are true.quote]
Referring to the 3 centrals lads on $1k a game each?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Fevola 25 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Fevola 25 wrote:They appear to have struck Oil in the Willaston area if the whispers are true.quote]
Referring to the 3 centrals lads on $1k a game each?

Yeah Josh Glenn on a thousand. What the F#ck its Xmas time pull the other one lets see if it plays Jingle bells.
Fevola 25

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Mallala

Postby SuperFrank » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:29 pm

bird of prey wrote:That's why our whole footy set up is F******!!

SANFL clubs can't pay close to that, mediocre amateur players get payed more than a SANFL player to go country, less training, less commitment etc.

Salary caps should be brought in and enforced where the ammo/country clubs have restrictions more severe than state league

Jim, if he's showing the same commitment to Wallaroo as a AFL player then perhaps he'd be worth it, otherwise no bloody chance

Or better yet, why dont the AFL fund the state comps so they have a decent salary cap level, it should be at least double what it is now to allow the SANFL to pay more.[/quote]

SANFL Clubs need to be allowed to pay more. You start restricting country footy/saafl & you start losing more talent to vic leagues where the teams on the bottom end of the ladder can spend well over $100k & that's not even breaking rules. Not only are SANFL players heading to Vic but also local footy talent & it then creates this cycle of saafl/country/sanfl battling off to cover the gaps left from top end players heading over the border.

Coming down on saafl/country footy won't help the sanfl a great deal, will only hurt local footy. We can't do anything about what goes on over the border, sanfl club just need to be allowed to spend more.

[/quote]Do you really think the SANFL clubs could afford a bigger salary cap? Half the clubs can't even afford what they pay at the moment, let alone if it were raised another $50k-$100k/year.[/quote]

That's a fair point!! Just has me baffled that local footy clubs have more $$$ than SANFL clubs........ Struggle to believe that
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Jim, if he's showing the same commitment to Wallaroo as a AFL player then perhaps he'd be worth it, otherwise no bloody chance

Do you really think the SANFL clubs could afford a bigger salary cap? Half the clubs can't even afford what they pay at the moment, let alone if it were raised another $50k-$100k/year.[/quote]

I,m well aware the SANFL clubs cant afford to pay more. I said the AFL needs to fund it. The salary cap needs to be doubled in the SANFL, dont pi55 around with 50 or 100k.
It would be a worthwhile investment from the AFL to keep all the best players in state leagues. If they dont and the AFL maybe happy with this but there will be no state leagues. just an under u18 comp in each state, where do late bloomers then develop?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 pm

F*** me, you'd think that after 7000 posts, you'd have learned to quote by now :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 pm

You speak total sense, Days.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Footy Chick wrote:F*** me, you'd think that after 7000 posts, you'd have learned to quote by now :lol:

Nope havnet got a clue once it goes past that 4 quote limit, but its ok, im ok with that
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Or better yet, why dont the AFL fund the state comps so they have a decent salary cap level, it should be at least double what it is now to allow the SANFL to pay more.

Do you really think the SANFL clubs could afford a bigger salary cap? Half the clubs can't even afford what they pay at the moment, let alone if it were raised another $50k-$100k/year.[/quote]

I,m well aware the SANFL clubs cant afford to pay more. I said the AFL needs to fund it. The salary cap needs to be doubled in the SANFL, dont pi55 around with 50 or 100k.
It would be a worthwhile investment from the AFL to keep all the best players in state leagues. If they dont and the AFL maybe happy with this but there will be no state leagues. just an under u18 comp in each state, where do late bloomers then develop?[/quote]

To break it down further lets call it an extra 300k per state league club funded by the AFL to put a bigger gap between amateurs and the state laegues.
8 in SA 2.4m
4in Vic 1.2m
6 in WA 1.8m
6 in QLD 1.8m
6 in NSW 1.8m
That makes 9m per year or 500k per AFL club, thats small change for the AFL to ensure that it continues to have the best development leagues for the big League.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby vics01 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 pm

AFL are more interested in promoting dyke (oops sorry may offend some - awful) footy.. That is where the money will go.. Ultimately it will be academies to the detriment of footy in general. Gilligans social dream
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby CCC Romans » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 pm

vics01 wrote:AFL are more interested in promoting dyke (oops sorry may offend some - awful) footy.. That is where the money will go.. Ultimately it will be academies to the detriment of footy in general. Gilligans social dream

But it's OK to pay a bunch of middle aged blokes to run around in low divisions, and then come home and speculate on a discussion board about how much other middle aged blokes get paid to play low division footy. Pull your head in.
CCC Romans
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:29 am

$500k per AFL club is not an easy feat. A reasonable amount of AFL Clubs aren't making profits in real terms let alone substantial $500k profits.

Ultimately the question needs to be asked. What is the merit in having a semi-professional tier of football like the SANFL that is not commercially viable on its own?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby bird of prey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 am

Can someone explain how the AFL will benefit from paying all that extra money for the purpose of widening the salary cap gap between state league and local footy?

AFL couldn't care less about that. They would be quite happy to just continue having their U18's come through as they have been and not have the state leagues. The sooner the state leagues fall over, the afl can control it all and have their national reserves comp. they would then control all the U18's too.

AFL don't give a shit about the salary cap issue.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby vics01 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:12 am

CCC Romans » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 pm

vics01 wrote:
AFL are more interested in promoting dyke (oops sorry may offend some - awful) footy.. That is where the money will go.. Ultimately it will be academies to the detriment of footy in general. Gilligans social dream

But it's OK to pay a bunch of middle aged blokes to run around in low divisions, and then come home and speculate on a discussion board about how much other middle aged blokes get paid to play low division footy. Pull your head in.

Blokes in lower divisions play a better standard. AFL heading towards academies, these will eventually see the decline in club football..
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Computer Crashed » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:47 pm

heater31 wrote:

40k a year for reserves players, no way hozay.
You could triple that knowing what the standard $ per game my lad and others were on as a base liners last year.
Chuck on all the other expenses people forget about.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby jo172 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Computer Crashed wrote:
heater31 wrote:

40k a year for reserves players, no way hozay.
You could triple that knowing what the standard $ per game my lad and others were on as a base liners last year.
Chuck on all the other expenses people forget about.

I will reiterate my basic view that alot of the SANFL problems can be drawn back to a mindset amongst all those in power at league and club level seeking a throwback to the glory days of the 70s and 80s.

The reality is the Crows and Port are coming after some of their market and Community football is well and truly angling for the rest.

If the situation is adapt or die there seems to be a determination within the SANFL not to adapt
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League