Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:47 am

Went to the keg and barrel in port Noarlunga Friday night. It’s mainly a steak restaurant and it has some excellent beers on tap. Only been open for a month or so.
Will definitely be going back.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:03 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Went to the keg and barrel in port Noarlunga Friday night. It’s mainly a steak restaurant and it has some excellent beers on tap. Only been open for a month or so.

Good to hear.
Definitely have to get down there to check it out.
Always busy when ive been past it
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Went to the keg and barrel in port Noarlunga Friday night. It’s mainly a steak restaurant and it has some excellent beers on tap. Only been open for a month or so.

Good to hear.

You’ll need to book... I booked for 530 and we were put outside. Which was fine. Couple of good lagers on tap too...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Good to hear.

You’ll need to book... I booked for 530 and we were put outside. Which was fine. Couple of good lagers on tap too...

Of course you're going to be put outside when you book for 530 people.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Mate has been raving for ages about Fishead (Malaysian and Indian cuisine) on Morphett St, so today a group of us went along, 6 adults in total and it didn't disappoint on any front.

Started with several entrees to share including Bug Tails, Satay's (Chicken and Veal), an awesome salad (Mandarin, Pineapple, Avacado), Fish Cakes and Pork Belly. All were outstanding and one of us may have even licked the plate.

Mains at the table consisted of Barra, Beef Cheeks, Rendang Beef and twice cooked Duck with rice and Garlic Naan bread. All were plentiful and freakin awesome.

All bar myself were drinking beers and wines then a few cocktails that were awesome, and their version of Crepes with Coconut Ice Cream was exceptiona too.

Venue good, staff excellent, bill came to around $90 per person.

Honestly couldn't recommend this place highly enough, was a genuine treat to the tastebuds and I'd rate it about 9.5/10, the highest I've ever given.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:25 am

If you're in the northern suburbs and up for some authentic Mexican food then you need to go to Taco Quetzalcoatl (pronounced 'ket-sal-ko-ah-tl'). We went there on Saturday night based on a recommendation from a work colleague of my wife, and it was fantastic.

The 'restaurant' is nothing spectacular, its more like you're eating/ordering in someone's kitchen, but Margarita (the proprietor and chef) is from Mexico and is a dab hand at making the genuine article. We had a take-away order of a burrito, a huarache, and a serve of nachos that were massive. Each dish was very tasty, and at $10 each was pretty good value. Plus they serve some of those wacky Mexican soft drinks, and also sell some hot sauces too.

8 out of 10. Highly recommended.
https://www.tacoquetzalcoatl.com/
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 am

Wedgie wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Good to hear.

Of course you're going to be put outside when you book for 530 people.

woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 am

Duck Inn at Coro Valley yesterday, hadn't been there for a feed for a few years, new decking makes its very pleasant place on a Sunday arvo/evening.

We all went the basic snitty which was top notch, good size servings and chips even had good taste and well cooked. Some effort was put into the salad also which is always a surprise.

Nice to have a decent pub to go to not far from home.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am

Dutchy wrote:Duck Inn at Coro Valley yesterday, hadn't been there for a feed for a few years, new decking makes its very pleasant place on a Sunday arvo/evening.

We all went the basic snitty which was top notch, good size servings and chips even had good taste and well cooked. Some effort was put into the salad also which is always a surprise.

Most importantly, were chips to the side?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby MatteeG » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am

Reckon we are gonna try this one in the holidays..
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:29 am

MatteeG wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Duck Inn at Coro Valley yesterday, hadn't been there for a feed for a few years, new decking makes its very pleasant place on a Sunday arvo/evening.

Most importantly, were chips to the side?

Yes and no, some surprise chips found under the parmi, no sure if it was deliberate or not so happy to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case as majority were on the side :D
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 am

Magellan wrote:If you're in the northern suburbs and up for some authentic Mexican food then you need to go to Taco Quetzalcoatl (pronounced 'ket-sal-ko-ah-tl'). We went there on Saturday night based on a recommendation from a work colleague of my wife, and it was fantastic.

The 'restaurant' is nothing spectacular, its more like you're eating/ordering in someone's kitchen, but Margarita (the proprietor and chef) is from Mexico and is a dab hand at making the genuine article. We had a take-away order of a burrito, a huarache, and a serve of nachos that were massive. Each dish was very tasty, and at $10 each was pretty good value. Plus they serve some of those wacky Mexican soft drinks, and also sell some hot sauces too.

After @Magellan's great review, Mrs. Creation and I ventured to Taco Quetzalcoatl last night for a birthday/wedding anniversary dinner.

We each ordered a tamale (mine was pork, hers was chicken), and they were bloody delicious. Off to a good start, me thinks.

I decided a burrito was the go, and it was on par with any burrito I had in Los Angeles. The pork was perfectly seasoned and the bean paste was flavourful but not overpowering. Mrs. Creation had the flautas, and was quite pleased. We washed the meal down with a couple of Cokes.

All up, we paid $32.90, so it was very affordable, as well as delightfully tasty. We'll be back there within a couple of weeks.

8/10.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 am

Failed Creation wrote:
Magellan wrote:If you're in the northern suburbs and up for some authentic Mexican food then you need to go to Taco Quetzalcoatl (pronounced 'ket-sal-ko-ah-tl'). We went there on Saturday night based on a recommendation from a work colleague of my wife, and it was fantastic.

After @Magellan's great review, Mrs. Creation and I ventured to Taco Quetzalcoatl last night for a birthday/wedding anniversary dinner.

We each ordered a tamale (mine was pork, hers was chicken), and they were bloody delicious. Off to a good start, me thinks.

I decided a burrito was the go, and it was on par with any burrito I had in Los Angeles. The pork was perfectly seasoned and the bean paste was flavourful but not overpowering. Mrs. Creation had the flautas, and was quite pleased. We washed the meal down with a couple of Cokes.

All up, we paid $32.90, so it was very affordable, as well as delightfully tasty. We'll be back there within a couple of weeks.

8/10.

Glad you checked it out and dug it. It's great to be part of an immigrant-small business success story.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

Magellan wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

8/10.

Glad you checked it out and dug it. It's great to be part of an immigrant-small business success story.

Thanks for the tip!

We'd never have heard about the place without your review.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:03 am

Pretty sure I’ll be going there for lunch some time this week, keen to check it out given the reviews on here
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 am

On Saturday night we checked out Hispanic Mechanic on Glen Osmond Road. http://hispanicmechanic.com.au/

I gotta say from the outset, this place provides absolutely top flight Latino fare. We had a banquet deal, $49 each which consisted of the following:

CEVICHE TOSTADITOS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
small crispy corn tortillas topped w fresh lime cured kingfish, cilantro, jalapeño, tomato & red onion
NACHOS SANTOS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
crsipy yellow corn tortillas, green onion, tomatilla salda, cilantro, jalapeño, dry cheese & crema
ELOTE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
chargrilled yellow corn, brushed w chipotle mayonesa, dry cheese & lime
MASTER KIMS 5 STAR WINGS . . . . . . . . .
crispy chicken wings, tossed w chipotle gochujang sauce, green onion & sesame, wasabi mayonesa, daikon & carrot pickled
ALBONDIGAS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
beef & pork meatballs, corn porridge & charred tomata salsa
ENSALADA DE PALMITOS . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
hearts of palm & frisse, orange segments, dried dates, shallot crisps. coconut, almonds, mixed greens & coconut vinaigrette
MOQUECA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
brazillian fish stew w snapper fillet, local green prawns & mussels, dende oil, capsicum, red onion, coconut milk. cilantro & rice
BIRD IN A BOWL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
plancha seared chicken breast tossed w salad leaves, mint, cilantro, jicama, pineapple, orange, crispy corn tortillas & chipotle-honey vinaigrette
BEEF BRISKET . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
36 hour slow cooked beef brisket w. smokey spinach tamal, pickled red cabbage & soy-morita glaze
TRES LECHES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
traditional sponge 3 milk cake w caramelised bananas
CORN CAKE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
venezuelan flourless corn cake

Plus we got stuck into some tasty sangria, and they had some yummy Mexican beers (including the Ocho Reales Imperial Ale, 6.2%, very tasty). Needless to say we were stuffed to the gills at the end. Probably came to about $90 each, but worth it because there was no dish on that menu that wasn't flavorful and a delight to taste - the brisket in particular melted in your mouth.

Highly recommended. We sat outside at the front, which was an accidental stroke of genius given Saturday night was quite warm. Inside the restaurant was very, very noisy given there were lots of diners and plenty of hard surfaces which would not have been as enjoyable an experience, so bear that in mind of you do think about heading along. Service from the staff was excellent as well.

9/10.
Magellan
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm

On Saturday afternoon I went to The Cremorne in Unley.

Had the handmade gnocchi with basil pesto, cherry tomatoes and olive oil. Absolutely cracking dish.

Gnocchi was perfectly portioned, the flavour combination of the olive oil, basil and tomatoes was simple yet effective, and the dish was topped off with a tempura three cheese zucchini flower. I am not usually a big zucchini eater and thought the addition of tempura battered cheese was interesting, but this too was delicious. My only criticism of the dish was the amount of olive oil, which slightly overpowered the cherry tomatoes, being the flavour I was hoping to be the most prominent.

A majority of the guests on our table ordered Chicken Parmy’s, which were adequate in size. Chips on the side which I was floored by, golden in texture and by all reports, crunchy. I tried a small piece of the schnitzel, and the chicken itself was not processed, which is a huge win in my books. Salt and Pepper squid was the only other dish ordered, and from all reports that was a cracker, too.

Being from the North/North East, I rarely venture to the south of the city, but i'll be headed back here for sure.

8.5/10
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Brodlach » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Valleys next to you go have the ribs with homemade baked beans. Delightful
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Went to the Rose Garden again last night, never disappoints especially after a session at the Reepham. Bill for 4 of us came to $132.40 including many drinks, entrees, main course, and the lovely guy who runs the place rounded it down to $120. Food was awesome. Great value. 9.9/10.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:28 pm

I went to the British Hotel for a family dinner last night and was reasonably impressed. I think I remember eating there once before. Their were 12 of us, from memory a few had steaks, a few had battered fish, couple of salads and I had a steak sandwich. It was really nice, while all the other meals were presented well and everyone seemed happy with their meals. We were the only people in there after smaller group left as we got there which ment the wait time wasn't very long at all. Their Garlic bread as our starter was really good aswell.

The British hotel is a decent, well present pub that produces decent pub food, 7.5/10.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion