The remake of "Ben Hur" really enjoyed it
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Re: Good Movies

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm

The hitmans bodyguard with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson. Really enjoyed it, pretty funny and heaps of violence. And if you don't like swearing,I'd give this one a miss
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 am

Saw "Battle of the Sexes" last night, about the Bobby Riggs v Bille-Jean King man versus woman exhibition match in 1973. Emma Stone puts in a great performance as BJK (incredible likeness), and Steve Carell continues to impress in serious dramatic roles (although his character is a bit of clown, so he gets to flex his comedy chops). Recreates the 1970s fashions and overall vibe to a tee. It has all the hallmarks of a typical sports movie in terms of a David v Goliath face-off, but comes at it from a different angle.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:38 am

Watched Fredom Writers on Netflix last night and quite enjoyed it. Based on a true story made it better, and had the mrs in tears at one point haha!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:47 am

The Bedge wrote:Watched Fredom Writers on Netflix last night and quite enjoyed it. Based on a true story made it better, and had the mrs in tears at one point haha!

Ripper movie.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 am

Hazbeen wrote:The remake of "Ben Hur" really enjoyed it

I didn't - could have been worse I suppose.
They could have Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck or Kevin Costner as Ben Hur
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:22 am

Saw "Blade Runner 2049" on the weekend. I'm a big fan of the original, so this was something that I was very keen to see, but I also approached with some trepidation. All in all, it's good, but not great. It looks absolutely fantastic, they have perfectly recreated the future dystopian landscape from the original complete with the ochre glow, perpetual rain, enormous buildings and massive neon signs.

That said, it's long (2.5 hours running time) and the plot moves pretty slowly. Some of the characters are uninteresting or simply don't work (the equivalent character to Dr Tyrrell is meant to be sinister but comes across like a Californian hippy who owns a company). Whilst it still riffs on the questions about memory and what it means to be human, it has less emotional and philosophical resonance the the original, and at times it regresses into an action film - not a bad thing per se but seemed a bit out of place IMHO. You also don't get the benefits of Vangelis' soundtrack, which was one of the things that added to the atmosphere of the original.

It's a bit like the Trainspotting sequel - an interesting exercise as a follow up to explore the characters further, but probably didn't really need to be made.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am

The Warriors was on Fox again last night - Whenever it pops up I always say I'll watch 5 mins but then watch to the end. Great film!! :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Magellan wrote:Saw "Blade Runner 2049" on the weekend. I'm a big fan of the original, so this was something that I was very keen to see, but I also approached with some trepidation. All in all, it's good, but not great. It looks absolutely fantastic, they have perfectly recreated the future dystopian landscape from the original complete with the ochre glow, perpetual rain, enormous buildings and massive neon signs.

That's pretty much exactly what I thought of it looks fantastic but just drags on a bit too much with the near 3 hour run time and just doesn't quite have as compelling enough story as the first one did. I've not seen Bautista in anything other than GOTG but I thought he was quite good as Sapper Morton early in the film and at that point I thought the movie showed real promise but it wasn't quite to be.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby morell » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Just saw Blade Runner myself and absolutely loved it. Big Villeneuve fan. To me it was like watching moving art. Cinematography absolutely epic.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 am

JK wrote:The Warriors was on Fox again last night - Whenever it pops up I always say I'll watch 5 mins but then watch to the end. Great film!! :D

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 am

Watched "We are Marshall" for about the 20th time last night - I love that film
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:19 am

Guardians of the galaxy volume 2. Really enjoyed it.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:09 pm

I went and saw Justice League last night and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Few plot holes but it had really good action.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 am

Watched GOLD last night with Matthew McConaughey.

I enjoyed it, even with a few holes in the plot and a slow build up.

Think Gold Rush meets Boiler Room
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bertiebeatle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 am

Saw Murder on the Orient Express on Sunday at the new cinema in Prospect.

Amazing cinema. Comfy chairs (that comfy, the girlfriend nodded off)!

Great movie as well, hadn't seen the original but a guy from work has said the original was very good also
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:07 am

Watched the new Star Wars film. i walked out feeling unsure about it. Visuals were amazing. Some plot holes and some questions left unanswered and some moments were a bit “wtf just happened”. But I still enjoyed it.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:16 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Watched the new Star Wars film. i walked out feeling unsure about it. Visuals were amazing. Some plot holes and some questions left unanswered and some moments were a bit “wtf just happened”. But I still enjoyed it.

Just watched it, they really did try please every one they could.
Black guys are hero's, Asians are hero's , Women are powerful, anti horse racing jab,vegan jab,men are reckless.
I liked it, but yeah, some "how did that actually happen" moments
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Watched the new Star Wars film. i walked out feeling unsure about it. Visuals were amazing. Some plot holes and some questions left unanswered and some moments were a bit “wtf just happened”. But I still enjoyed it.

I watched it Friday night and it took me awhile to take it all in as there was alot happening. To me now looking back it was average, had some very good parts- I enjoyed what they've done with the relationship and dynamic between Rey and Kylo and also found Kylo Ren's conflictions between his good and bad interesting. I like what they did with Poe Dameron aswell.

Annoyed with the unanswered questions but I guess none of that matters. Nothing more about the Knights of Ren was odd though, I thought that was an interesting plot point in TFA. The Casio planet plot point was the worst, seemed like a pointless add on, wtf were they thinking there.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Wedgie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Saw it today, loved it. How awesome did it look with the sun's setting behind the AT-ATs with Luke in the foregeound.
Hard to believe it was 40 years ago I saw the first one when it came out with my Dad, was nice seeing it today with my son like the last one and Rogue One.
I think I'll be in tears in two years time after the last one but it's set up to be a ripper.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment