2018 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2018 AFL Season

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:03 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:And you ******* jokers on here reckon Melbourne will use Watts' comments as motivation when they play Port next year. :lol: :lol:

They're probably more likely to say they're offended and he hurt their feelings and want him to apologise because it wasn't very nice.

Every week Melbourne's opponents should be asking them "Not too hard this, is it lads? You might get injured you know?"

Pathetic.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 am

FORMER Richmond coach Danny Frawley has accused a group of 14 Melbourne players of going behind coach Simon Goodwin’s back to have a preseason camp cancelled.

It was revealed last week the Demons had scrapped a commando-style training event because of player safety concerns.

Frawley told SEN radio the cancellation — which he said came after a group of players asked the AFL Players Association to intervene — was a sign the players were being allowed to “rule the roost” at the club.

“If I’m Simon Goodwin driving to work today ... I’ve got a real sh**ty feeling in my gut that I just can’t work out, because we’re in it together. But there’s 14 of my boys who have gone behind my back,” Frawley told SEN Breakfast.

“A couple of guys really did get strong on it, grabbed a couple of the young guys and they’ve rang the AFLPA and said ‘we think this is unprofessional, we’re athletes, we want to get through Christmas unscathed’.

“The Players Association have put a do not go to camp, get this camp stopped.”

Two players — Dom Tyson and Christian Salem — were injured on a similar camp last preseason which was described as the toughest training experience of some players’ careers. The club reportedly beefed up safety measures for this year’s edition, but it wasn’t enough to convince the entire playing group.

Frawley said the disagreement should have been handled differently.

“Why didn’t the Players Association ring up (football manager) Josh Mahoney and say ‘guys we need to look at this camp and just sort a couple of things out’,” he said.

“We’ve got doctors going on it, we’ve got physios, we don’t want players to get injured. Let’s sit down like grown men and work through this issue. Oh, no they’ve just stamped it, this isn’t happening.

“I think Simon needs to get the playing group in and say ‘guys the communication lines are open, have I not been honest to you guys, have I not been up front?’”

Melbourne finished ninth last season, missing out on a finals place after a final round defeat against Collingwood. The club hasn’t played finals since 2006 but with a host of young talent beginning to find its feet was expected to make a push in 2018.

Frawley said the camp fiasco was a sign the club was not united.

“The Melbourne Football Club at the moment, it is a bit of a laughing stock,” Frawley said.

“What do we have a leadership group for? Let’s forget our leadership group now. You guys, if you’ve got an issue, ring the AFLPA and I’ll just coach.”

“You look at the Bulldogs, you look at Richmond, chemistry is one of the hardest things to gain at a footy club. It really is,” he added.

“At the moment the fabric in the Melbourne football jumper, there’s a few seams that need sewing up, because at the moment it’s all over the shop.

“I’m very confident that there is a real flatness about the coaching staff towards the players heading into Christmas, at the moment.”

Goodwin defended the camp despite scrapping it in light of his players’ safety concerns.

“The special operations camp was run by senior police officers — it wasn’t a boot camp,” Goodwin told the club’s annual meeting as reported by the Demons’ website.

“It was run by experienced people. Yes, it’s had its challenges but we listen to our players and we listen to their feedback and we feel that when something’s not right, we don’t go ahead.

“We look for other avenues. We’re adventurous and we will get there and we will work towards building hardworking, competitive, resilient and humble individuals and that’s our mission moving forward.”

Tyson suffered a knee injury and Salem was concussed when a brick fell from his pack during a hike at last year’s camp, which also included sleep-deprivation exercises and punishing beach runs.

With next week’s camp scrapped, the Demons will continue their pre-season training regime at Gosch’s Paddock in Melbourne before breaking for Christmas.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Have to say it’s pretty poor.

At least the way the article reads, they didn’t go to the coaching staff with their concerns.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:54 pm

If the players association thought it was that dangerous then good on the players. Had lunch with Goodwin once, not the brightest spark I've met.
I'm still amazed he's a coach.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Spargo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'm still amazed he's a coach.

Couldn’t agree more.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Wedgie wrote:If the players association thought it was that dangerous then good on the players. Had lunch with Goodwin once, not the brightest spark I've met.

The AFLPA thought it was dangerous because the players told them it was. :lol:

Anywho, I hope Melbourne are right for round 1 and the AFLPA are ok with them playing football, could get injured you know!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:If the players association thought it was that dangerous then good on the players. Had lunch with Goodwin once, not the brightest spark I've met.

Anywho, I hope Melbourne are right for round 1 and the AFLPA are ok with them playing football, could get injured you know!

I think i'll join you for a few froths on a wintery Friday night in round 14, Boon. Something tells me you might have a bit to say :lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:52 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I think i'll join you for a few froths on a wintery Friday night in round 14, Boon. Something tells me you might have a bit to say :lol:

First time for everything ha ha.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am

valleys07 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Maybe. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Booney wrote:

There's no spin on this that can make it seem ok...a massive brain fade by their leadership group.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Even if they did think it was dangerous - how is this something that escaped the confines of their club?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:Even if they did think it was dangerous - how is this something that escaped the confines of their club?

Interesting point.

Players - They'd want it kept as quiet as possible for, I assume, fear of ridicule.
Coaches - They wouldn't want the football world to know the players tell the coaches what to do.
AFLPA - Perhaps letting the information out would remind the clubs of the power they now have?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

There's no spin on this that can make it seem ok...a massive brain fade by their leadership group.

Gen Y's or Z as they call them now.
If they don't get what they want, when they want or are told to do something they don't like they just complain until someone listens and they get what they want.
It's pathetic.
Goodwin should find out who they are and make an example of them................ although they'll probably cry and make a case for harassment.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby MW » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Even if they did think it was dangerous - how is this something that escaped the confines of their club?

Interesting point.

Players - They'd want it kept as quiet as possible for, I assume, fear of ridicule.
Coaches - They wouldn't want the football world to know the players tell the coaches what to do.
AFLPA - Perhaps letting the information out would remind the clubs of the power they now have?

No doubt each of these ambulance chasers have a line into each of these categories...
Reasons for the leaks? $ for leaks maybe?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:42 pm

You would think the aflpa would be the most likely place for the leak to occur
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Wasn't it was raised at the Melbourne FC AGM? Bit hard to keep it quiet if true.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:

Wasn't it was raised at the Melbourne FC AGM? Bit hard to keep it quiet if true.

Don’t actually know
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:

yep, Goodwin mentioned it at the AGM.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

How did that come up? Huge PR blunder by the sounds of it - unless he was trying to prove a point
bennymacca
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Or the playing group could've gone to the coaching group, raised their concerns and work through it like men.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL