Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 am

am Bays wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:4.something swing in a by-election is the average so 5% is nothing considering the "star" Labor candidate and a government completely on the nose

Now that Shitten has used Mediscare in a general and by-election, and lost both, is that a mandate for the government to sell it off?

What's most interesting is the polls last week (Galaxy and Newspol) were showing a 50:50 TPP mid week with Friday Newspol (IIRC) having the result 51:49 to the LNP. Currently it's 54.8:45.2 a swing of 4.9%. http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/bennelong-by-election-2017/results/. How could they get it so wrong?

Yes polls are only a sample and there is always a margin of error but this it well outside the usual 3%.

I thought it would be much closer than what it was given Kristina was running the fact it was only a 5% swing has to be under the ALPs expectations privately.

Reachtel had it at 53:47 which is closer
I reckon there are a few rascals out there who deliberately mislead the pollsters.

And, as with the general election, Shitten carrying on like he actually won it.
If Turnbull is on the nose, then Shitten well and truly stinks. Turnbull is now below Abbott's worst approval rating yet remains Preferred PM by 41:34
They can blame Slippery Sam all they want but the people I spoke to in Sydney last week haven't forgotten the star recruit's past and she's Shorten's gal and Slippery is his man
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby am Bays » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:40 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
And, as with the general election, Shitten carrying on like he actually won it.
If Turnbull is on the nose, then Shitten well and truly stinks. Turnbull is now below Abbott's worst approval rating yet remains Preferred PM by 41:34
They can blame Slippery Sam all they want but the people I spoke to in Sydney last week haven't forgotten the star recruit's past and she's Shorten's gal and Slippery is his man

And give Shorton was all over this by-election like a SDA organiser on the issue of retail trading hours, the fact that this is barely over the average by-election result shows that he's as popular as Trump on the streets of Gaza...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Q. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:37 am

Coalition spinning a $23bil debt reduction forecast as good news. It's still a rising debt you clowns - up from $273bil in 2013.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 am

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Abbott/Turnbull era one of the worst periods of economic management ever, surely? Debt increased by $300bil, deficits increasing every year, and forecast to be one of the highest tax-to-GDP governments ever.
Q.
Coach

Postby Pistol Pete » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Q. wrote:Abbott/Turnbull era one of the worst periods of economic management ever, surely? Debt increased by $300bil, deficits increasing every year, and forecast to be one of the highest tax-to-GDP governments ever.
Actually Abbott started the debt reduction but pissed off too many smaller parties with his bullshit and couldn't get some of his more drastic measures through the senate.

Then his approval rating got so bad they panicked and now are too scared to make any difficult choices as someone somewhere will be offended.
Pistol Pete

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Q. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
Q. wrote:Abbott/Turnbull era one of the worst periods of economic management ever, surely? Debt increased by $300bil, deficits increasing every year, and forecast to be one of the highest tax-to-GDP governments ever.
Actually Abbott started the debt reduction but pissed off too many smaller parties with his bullshit and couldn't get some of his more drastic measures through the senate.

Then his approval rating got so bad they panicked and now are too scared to make any difficult choices as someone somewhere will be offended.
Debt increased by ~$100bil under Abbott
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 am

IIRC, didn't you subscribe to some high government debt is OK economic theory?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yes, if coupled with economic stimulus, employment growth, wage growth and decreasing household debt - none of which is happening under the LNP.

LNP/Abbott got into power on the back of debt and deficit hysteria - where is the hysteria now?
Q.
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:34 am

I’m definitely not a fan of this government, but I think it’s going way to far to say “worst periods of economic management ever”

Phrases like that get thrown around way too liberally. We are doing pretty well on world terms still.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:38 am

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yes, if coupled with economic stimulus, employment growth, wage growth and decreasing household debt - none of which is happening under the LNP.

LNP/Abbott got into power on the back of debt and deficit hysteria - where is the hysteria now?

No-one wants the debt reduction
Try and fix it and you get voted out
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:59 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

No-one wants the debt reduction
Try and fix it and you get voted out
The opposition, the media and finally the public overwhelmingly decided debt reduction was needed prior to 2013 election.

The failure of mainstream media to hold the LNP to the same hysteria from five years ago confirms it's bias.

If the LNP get voted out it won't be on the back of this debt, it will be on the back of wage stagnation.
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 am

Q. wrote:The opposition, the media and finally the public overwhelmingly decided debt reduction was needed prior to 2013 election.

The failure of mainstream media to hold the LNP to the same hysteria from five years ago confirms it's bias.

If the LNP get voted out it won't be on the back of this debt, it will be on the back of wage stagnation.

That's the problem when you get on the debt train. You can't get off without pain
I've given up worrying about it Q. Like everyone else; it's someone else's problem
My wage is fine and I have no household debt. Not my problem
If Labor get into power and attack my wealth; I'll just move overseas
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:How many newspolls now is it that Turnbull has lost?

Must be getting close to the magic number, although have they all been in a row?
Yeah all in a row

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

According to a headline I just saw in The Age, it's 25.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:17 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:The opposition, the media and finally the public overwhelmingly decided debt reduction was needed prior to 2013 election.

That's the problem when you get on the debt train. You can't get off without pain
I've given up worrying about it Q. Like everyone else; it's someone else's problem

Of course, vote in your own interest. No good reason for you to vote for a party that might abolish negative gearing and superannuation rorts etc.

That's why I don't get why lower and lower/middle class people vote for the LNP. Surely the gloss of brutalising refugees wears off when you realise your wage growth barely covers cost of living increases?
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 am

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Of course, vote in your own interest. No good reason for you to vote for a party that might abolish negative gearing and superannuation rorts etc.

That's why I don't get why lower and lower/middle class people vote for the LNP. Surely the gloss of brutalising refugees wears off when you realise your wage growth barely covers cost of living increases?

Probably because the alternative is sh!t. I don't get people who vote for the same party at every election, they're the real waste, but thats just my redneck/lower class opinion.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:07 am

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Probably because the alternative is sh!t. I don't get people who vote for the same party at every election, they're the real waste, but thats just my redneck/lower class opinion.

LNP have done a wonderful job of convincing ordinary people that they operate in the best interests of ordinary people, when it's absolutely obvious they only care about using the State for private interests and our taxes for private profits.
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 am

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Q. wrote:LNP have done a wonderful job of convincing ordinary people that they operate in the best interests of ordinary people, when it's absolutely obvious they only care about using the State for private interests and our taxes for private profits.

Like I said, is the alternative any better.
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 am

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Also interested in what you mean by that.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:00 am

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Also interested in what you mean by that.
Not sure if you've noticed but we've been torturing refugees in offshore detention for a couple of years now because it makes a great political wedge in a carefully crafted climate of fear.
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics