The Ashes 2017/2018

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2017/2018

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:43 pm

beef wrote:Don't know where else to put this. Is Dave Warner the best ever fielder that never hits the stumps. Good at stopping runs and singles but never seems to hit the stumps when there is a run out chance.

Jonty Rhodes was fairly similar. Most of Jontys run outs came from him being able to run down and take the bails off due to the indecision he caused by his brilliant fielding.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:32 pm

id bring in Zampa just becuase he has played for australia in the one dayers and i think has shown lately he can bowl in the longer format.
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 pm

heater31 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
heater31 wrote:**** me is Stuart Broad the worst batsman in test cricket to have a highest individual score above 150. Deadset number 11 these days

Dizzy Gillespie?
Dizz was no spud with the stick solid defence. Would bat top 6 in local club cricket doubt Stuart would get above 9.

Righto replace Dizzy with Mitch Marsh then ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Aerie wrote:Australia have regained the Ashes on the back of Steve Smith, a brilliant bowling attack and the batting cameos of the Marsh brothers. England have performed poorly.

Batting still looking very dodgy. History suggests Warner will come good and Shaun Marsh will continue to produce every now and then.

Mitch Marsh has now given himself some confidence and almost definitely the number 6 spot going in to the South African tour. I would not be at all confident at him coming in at 4-100 on a pitch slightly harder to bat on than the WACA was on Day 3.

We need Khawaja to find some real form going in to the South African tour.

Renshaw and Handscomb, who were looking like the future by the end of last Summer are now on the outer.

Bancroft the jury still very much out.

Maybe Smith is that good (and backed up by the bowlers) that we can ride them through to the next Ashes series. It would be nice to add another couple of world class batsman to the side though.

Good wrap. The unanswered question for me is who is the #2 spinner? Swepson, or will the selectors look at Maxwell for the Sydney test.

Bancroft not cemented yet, but he gets 2 more tests to prove himself.

Starc injured, do the rest him now we have the urn? Do they bring in Bird. Do the even consider Sayers?

I think the 4 frontline bowlers at the moment are far and away above anyone else available so regardless of conditions in Sydney, they go with them again. However, if there is a slight niggle in one of the pacemen, it would be great to get a look at Swepson and have Mitch Marsh as the 3rd seamer. Fawad Ahmed a possibility? Would be great to see a leggie in tandem with Lyon.

If Starc doesn't make it for Melbourne, Bird would be the obvious replacement, as much as I'd like to see Sayers play (and he very much deserves it). Bird has proven performance at Test level and recent form.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Booney wrote:Bancroft - Only played 3 Tests and looks to have the temperament to open. Needs a big on in the next 2 Tests now the pressure is off
Warner - Looks like a man batting on his own at the moment. Doesn't seem to have confidence in the bloke at the other end so is just eeking out runs
Khawaja - Not convinced at all that he's a long term #3
Smith - Freak
S.Marsh - On his last chance and batting like it. Good for him.
M.Marsh - Might be the making of him that innings, can he bowl though? I'm not sure he can.
Paine - Dropped a few off Lyon, that partnership will develop over time, looks sound with his batting and like S.Marsh, last chance.
Starc - Can swap with the next bloke
Cummins - Time to move him to 8 and can he bowl Hazlewood length instead of just bumpers? Is that him or Smith asking for it?
Hazlewood - The backbone of our attack. Looks more and more like a bloke who has found his rhythm, length, pace.
Lyon - In career best form

Khawaja worries me, could Warner or Bancroft bat 3 and bring Renshaw back in to open? I know Renshaw is out of touch at the moment but he could be an option.
Could Weatherald be the longer term answer at #3? He must be in the selectors minds for the future.

I still like Khawaja and think he can be long term number 3 or open if required. He is a class above almost all other Aussies except Smith.

Bancroft I hope scores a century in the last 2 Tests because Renshaw is cooked at the moment unfortunately. I get the feeling Bancroft will struggle to hold his place for South Africa.

Paine has proven to be at least as good as Neville and Wade. At least they've all had a bit of a go. Fingers crossed Carey makes big runs for SA when the Shield season resumes (hopefully they bat him at least at 6 for SA).

Bowling line up is as good as it ever has been (well almost - McGrath/Warne/Gillespie take some beating). World class as a group and the perfect blend of extreme left arm pace and reverse swing from Starc, laser like precision from Hazlewood and an absolute talent and workhorse in Cummins to keep the pressure right on - plus the best offie Australia has produced in the peak of his form. I'd love to see Sayers keep his level up for a few more years because you get the feeling he will get an opportunity and a feeling he could have a say in an Ashes contest in England. Plenty of wraps on Swepson as well which would add another dynamic as a leggie.

If I had to predict the remaining two Ashes Tests and moving forward to South Africa, I think the best XI to go with to win that series will be:

Warner
Khawaja
S.Marsh
Smith
*Handscomb (or any player who scores huge runs when Shield returns)
M.Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:07 am

Ummmm. Did you not hear what I wrote

Just let it go. I’ve reported this thread to the mods under offensive and abusive. I fully expect it to be taken down by tomorrow :oops:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Nothing to see here, move on.
Trouble with you colonials is you live in the past.
Ashes series is old hat now so just move on.

You were lucky, end of.
I’ve asked the mods to close this thread down, it’s just pointless and should be archived Ali e with the 2016 Olympus thread. NO AFL IN THE SANFL

:oops: :oops: :oops:

And to think you sent us out here as punishment.

:lol:

You only got good because you’ve spent the last 230 years throwing rocks at each other ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:03 am

heater31 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
heater31 wrote:**** me is Stuart Broad the worst batsman in test cricket to have a highest individual score above 150. Deadset number 11 these days

Dizzy Gillespie?
Dizz was no spud with the stick solid defence. Would bat top 6 in local club cricket doubt Stuart would get above 9.

Broad used to go alright til he got sconned in the head for memory.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Dizzy Gillespie?

Broad used to go alright til he got sconned in the head for memory.

Yeah that's correct. Was a very reasonable number 8-9 with a decent technique until struck. Since then he has become a genuine bunny who just swings like a mad man. Strangely the way he bats now looks more dangerous than when he used a decent technique.

Being fairly sharp yourself in the day I would be interested to here your thoughts on the whole bouncing, intimidating the tail?
Last edited by whufc on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 am

Aerie wrote:
Booney wrote:Bancroft - Only played 3 Tests and looks to have the temperament to open. Needs a big on in the next 2 Tests now the pressure is off
Warner - Looks like a man batting on his own at the moment. Doesn't seem to have confidence in the bloke at the other end so is just eeking out runs
Khawaja - Not convinced at all that he's a long term #3
Smith - Freak
S.Marsh - On his last chance and batting like it. Good for him.
M.Marsh - Might be the making of him that innings, can he bowl though? I'm not sure he can.
Paine - Dropped a few off Lyon, that partnership will develop over time, looks sound with his batting and like S.Marsh, last chance.
Starc - Can swap with the next bloke
Cummins - Time to move him to 8 and can he bowl Hazlewood length instead of just bumpers? Is that him or Smith asking for it?
Hazlewood - The backbone of our attack. Looks more and more like a bloke who has found his rhythm, length, pace.
Lyon - In career best form

Khawaja worries me, could Warner or Bancroft bat 3 and bring Renshaw back in to open? I know Renshaw is out of touch at the moment but he could be an option.
Could Weatherald be the longer term answer at #3? He must be in the selectors minds for the future.

I still like Khawaja and think he can be long term number 3 or open if required. He is a class above almost all other Aussies except Smith.

Bancroft I hope scores a century in the last 2 Tests because Renshaw is cooked at the moment unfortunately. I get the feeling Bancroft will struggle to hold his place for South Africa.

Paine has proven to be at least as good as Neville and Wade. At least they've all had a bit of a go. Fingers crossed Carey makes big runs for SA when the Shield season resumes (hopefully they bat him at least at 6 for SA).

Bowling line up is as good as it ever has been (well almost - McGrath/Warne/Gillespie take some beating). World class as a group and the perfect blend of extreme left arm pace and reverse swing from Starc, laser like precision from Hazlewood and an absolute talent and workhorse in Cummins to keep the pressure right on - plus the best offie Australia has produced in the peak of his form. I'd love to see Sayers keep his level up for a few more years because you get the feeling he will get an opportunity and a feeling he could have a say in an Ashes contest in England. Plenty of wraps on Swepson as well which would add another dynamic as a leggie.

If I had to predict the remaining two Ashes Tests and moving forward to South Africa, I think the best XI to go with to win that series will be:

Warner
Khawaja
S.Marsh
Smith
*Handscomb (or any player who scores huge runs when Shield returns)
M.Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Not sure why you're dumping Bancroft. Scored eight runs less than Khawaja this series. You know Ussie will tantalise and delight and get out when he looks set. Jury is out on Bancroft but dumping yet another opener probably isn't the way to go. Handscomb is miles off it. Send him to the veldt against a full strength Proteas attack and he may never rise again.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 am

whufc wrote:
Yeah that's correct. Was a very reasonable number 8-9 with a decent technique until struck. Since then he has become a genuine bunny who just swings like a mad man. Strangely the way he bats now looks more dangerous than when he used a decent technique.

Being fairly sharp yourself in the day I would be interested to here your thoughts on the whole bouncing, intimidating the tail?

I'm not a fan of it, I didn't like seeing what happened to Anderson the other day.

If the batsman is advancing down the pitch at you and trying to take the piss it's fair game, otherwise just attack the stumps and send them on their way.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:59 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
Not sure why you're dumping Bancroft. Scored eight runs less than Khawaja this series. You know Ussie will tantalise and delight and get out when he looks set. Jury is out on Bancroft but dumping yet another opener probably isn't the way to go. Handscomb is miles off it. Send him to the veldt against a full strength Proteas attack and he may never rise again.

regards,

REB

Ditts, a bit knee-jerkish for my liking.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

I'm not a fan of it, I didn't like seeing what happened to Anderson the other day.

If the batsman is advancing down the pitch at you and trying to take the piss it's fair game, otherwise just attack the stumps and send them on their way.

Agree that's a pretty common sense approach

It's sad that the game has become that professional that bouncing, intimidating, legit try to injure the opposition bowler is now part of the game, in fact the tail get bounced more than proper batters these days.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 am

whufc wrote:
Agree that's a pretty common sense approach

It's sad that the game has become that professional that bouncing, intimidating, legit try to injure the opposition bowler is now part of the game, in fact the tail get bounced more than proper batters these days.

Imagine the carnage if the Windies of the 80's bounced the tail?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 am

johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Nothing to see here, move on.
Trouble with you colonials is you live in the past.
Ashes series is old hat now so just move on.

You were lucky, end of.
I’ve asked the mods to close this thread down, it’s just pointless and should be archived Ali e with the 2016 Olympus thread. NO AFL IN THE SANFL

:oops: :oops: :oops:

And to think you sent us out here as punishment.

:lol:

You only got good because you’ve spent the last 230 years throwing rocks at each other ;)

It's because we learnt to catch them. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby northerner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am

Interesting to reflect on other poster's opinions on the playing XI. I find myself in agreeance with what most have written, particularly the in-depth summaries from boney and whufc.

The one player that I appear to rate differently to others is Tim Paine. This guy is a brilliant fit and a master stroke from the much-maligned selectors. He goes about his job with no fuss, barely being noticed, which is what you want from your keeper. He is a better gloveman (and less abrasive) than Wade and a better bat than Nevill whilst not losing anything as a keeper in comparison. The ONLY negative to his selection is his age, but this is covered because our next keeper WILL BE Alex Carey and Paine's selection buys Carey the 12-24 months he needs before he is ready to strut his stuff in the Test arena.... in the meantime he will pick up exposure in the National ODI side.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 am

northerner wrote:Interesting to reflect on other poster's opinions on the playing XI. I find myself in agreeance with what most have written, particularly the in-depth summaries from boney and whufc.

The one player that I appear to rate differently to others is Tim Paine. This guy is a brilliant fit and a master stroke from the much-maligned selectors. He goes about his job with no fuss, barely being noticed, which is what you want from your keeper. He is a better gloveman (and less abrasive) than Wade and a better bat than Nevill whilst not losing anything as a keeper in comparison. The ONLY negative to his selection is his age, but this is covered because our next keeper WILL BE Alex Carey and Paine's selection buys Carey the 12-24 months he needs before he is ready to strut his stuff in the Test arena.... in the meantime he will pick up exposure in the National ODI side.

You've made my day.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:08 am

northerner wrote:Interesting to reflect on other poster's opinions on the playing XI. I find myself in agreeance with what most have written, particularly the in-depth summaries from boney and whufc.

Like most people I was surprised at Paine’s selection but it has turned out to be a good call.
Begs the question......... why wasn’t he considered 12 months prior when he was fit and Wade was struggling?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am

Can't agree entirely with that, however, given that I believe a spinner / 'keeper relationship is one that must develop over time and Lyon is in brilliant form offering subtle variation I'm happy to let Paine have a few slips ups in the early part of his time behind the stumps to Lyon.

Given he stays in the side I expect by this time next year they'll be a cohesive team within a team.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 am

Booney wrote:

Can't agree entirely with that, however, given that I believe a spinner / 'keeper relationship is one that must develop over time and Lyon is in brilliant form offering subtle variation I'm happy to let Paine have a few slips ups in the early part of his time behind the stumps to Lyon.

Given he stays in the side I expect by this time next year they'll be a cohesive team within a team.
\

Wasn't long ago that Ludeman was touted as the next national keeper/opener for the shorter version games, boy how quick things change, now he's just some schmo working in a box factory.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket